Apologies if this has been asked but has anybody heard the new Further/Robert Hunter songs that "easily pass as outtakes from 70's Grateful Dead LP's" according to Rolling Stone?

Muli Guli

Colors of the Rain

Seven Hills of Gold

Sounds like they are only playing them live and won't be recording them. According to Lesh "I personally have no desire to make a record, That art form is dead. I'd rather just put them out there on the web. We never made money off our albums anyway".

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil gives away soundboard shows, but I am sure Further is not. I think there are some Further shows up at bt.etree.org.

I may be in NY during the time they are playing in the city. I have a notion I may try to go to the show.

Further.net

Furthur Adds Fall Shows at Classic Venues

Furthur has confirmed a series of additional fall dates. As the band points out, Furthur’s tour-opening show will take place at the same venue the Grateful Dead played on 10/19/71, the night Keith Godchaux made his first appearance with the group. The band will also return to Balitmore, MD’s 1st Mariner Arena, the site of the band’s famed 9/17/72 show (featuring a nearly 40 minute “Other One”) and 4/19/82 date (where Phil LEsh recited Edgar Allen Poe’s “The Raven” during “Space”).

Here’s a look at the band’s tour

November 8 Minneapolis, MN—Northrop Auditorium

November 9 Ames, IA—Stephens Auditorium

November 11 Saint Louis, MO—Chaifetz Arena

November 12-13 Chicago, IL—UIC Pavilion

November 14 Cincinnati, OH—U.S. Bank Arena

November 16 Reading, PA—Sovereign Center

November 17 Baltimore, MD—1st Mariner Arena

November 19 Worcester, MA—DCU Center

November 20-21 New York, NY—Madison Square Garden

The Warner Bros. Studio Albums Vinyl Box (Exclusive Edition)

Taper's Section (August 16 - August 22, 2010)

Welcome back to the Tapers' Section, where this week we'll check out a decade worth of Grateful Dead music, 1982-1992.

We'll first check out some music from the quaint Glens Falls Civic Center on 4/14/82, a town just north of Albany. From that show, we have the end of the second set and encore, featuring The Wheel>Miracle>Bertha>Peter>Playing>JBG, US Blues. This was the same tour during which Bob and Jerry appeared on the then-brand-new Late Night With David Letterman show (which had debuted on 2/1/82), an appearance on which Bobby unleashed the phrase ‚"more fun than a frog in a glass of milk‚" to the world.

Next from the excellent show at Cal Expo in June, 1990, we have the end of the second set from the third and final night of that run on 6/10/90, featuring Gimme Some Lovin' > Standing On The Moon > Throwing Stones > Not Fade Away; The Last Time, including the encore. These shows, the following week at Shoreline and the pair of shows in Eugene two weeks later was a terrific two weeks west coast run of eight shows.

As you might recall, last week played some Albany '92, and this week we have a bit more, the end of the second set from the first of a two night run, on 6/11/92 featuring Space > I Need A Miracle > Wharf Rat > Around And Around; The Mighty Quinn. These were OK shows, on a tour that was consistently inconsistent. That Jerry took some time off to recuperate following this tour came as no surprise. I distinctly recall see a quadruple bill concert that summer in Ottawa, Canada, featuring Michelle Shocked, Joe Cocker, the Neville Bros., and Bob Dylan, and Aaron Neville dedicated several songs that night to ‚"our ailing brother Jerry."

As always, we look forward to seeing you here next week for more great tunes. Thanks for stopping in, and feel free to write to the email address below with questions or comments about the Tapers' Sections, or anything Grateful Dead-related.

David Lemieux

I am listening to this show:

Grateful Dead Live at Shrine Auditorium on 1968-08-23

Taper's Section (August 23 - August 29, 2010)

Welcome back to our weekly installment of Grateful Dead music drawn from the vault's master tapes. You might not always like what we play here, but you certainly can't complain about the cost...

Our first selection this week is music from 5/1/81 at the Hampton Coliseum in Virginia, site of many fine Grateful Dead shows, most famous of which were the magnificent Warlocks show in October, 1989. From the 1981 stop at the Coliseum, we have the first set closing trio of Tennessee Jed>Let It Grow>Deal, drawn from the cassette master.

From about a year later, on 5/23/82 at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley, we have two parts of the show, made up of Scarlet Begonias>Fire On The Moutain, Satisfaction>Brokedown Palace. The first combination is the second set opener, and the second combination is the encore, a somewhat rare-in-1982 double encore.

Lastly this week, from a decade after the Greek selection above, we have the end of the show from 5/24/92 at Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View, CA, featuring The Last Time>Morning Dew, Johnny B. Goode, the last track being the encore. We don't play too much 1992 Dead here, so when we find some good stuff from that year, it's always fun to play it for you. This show was suggested to me for a listen by a good friend of Dick Latvala's. The Dead in 1992 were more hit-and-miss than they'd been in a long time, but there certainly were some decent shows.

Join us here next week for more Grateful Dead music. We don't know what we'll play, but it'll be something good from the vault we expect. As always, feel free to write the address below with questions or comments about the Tapers' Section, or anything else Dead-related.

David Lemieux

that's a nice mellow scarlet. the more i listen, the more i think brent's first 2 and last 2 years are my favorite era of the band. i know each era has its fame (except after brent?), but i just love brent!

just got back from a couple of weeks in SF

saw furthur at the outside lands festie-and as much as I hate to say it

it was not good-fourth time seeing them and by far the least satisfying

maybe it was because they followed MMJ

maybe it was because I expected more in golden gate park-they setting was perfect

maybe its because I dont want to hear JK sing morning dew-travesty!

maybe its because the song selection was so poor for a festie (although they did a smokin let it grow)

great to see bobby and phil in golden gate park-but Im done with furthur

Id rather go see the JGB with stu allen in a small bar (highly recommended)

Bring back ratdog please!

Aman-thanks for the updates!

I was going to try and go to one of the NY shows, but all the good seats were gone not long after they went on sale. And there is no way I am going to pay a bunch of money to sit in the back of Madison Square Garden.

maybe it was because I expected more in golden gate park-they setting was perfect

maybe its because the song selection was so poor for a festie (although they did a smokin let it grow)

yeah, i don't know what it is about furthur. it's like phil and bob playing in a dead cover band. i still think the best post dead incarnation was the first other ones. well-rehearsed (due to bruce) and steve kimock. he's not jerry, but he fills the void in his own way without trying to be jerry.

incidently, on the black crowes web series, it was cool to hear chris talk about opening for the dead and how he'll never forget the visions of johanna they played one night. cool.

I was going to try and go to one of the NY shows, but all the good seats were gone not long after they went on sale. And there is no way I am going to pay a bunch of money to sit in the back of Madison Square Garden.

i just cannot believe they are playing there. it is going to be empty.

who is in JGB? i need to check them out. i know melvin had some gig with steve kimock at some point.

and, for what it's worth, i played 'jerry' in my local dead cover band at our pool's food drive. set is below. sounded okay. my buddy let me borrow a vintage amp and fender so i had a 71 jerry thing going on.

jam>

china cat>

rider jam>

ramble on rose

mr. charlie

sugaree

mama tried>

mexicali

miracle>

new minglewood

franklin's.

drumz/space>

dark star jam

scarlet/fire

truckin'>

iko>

nfa

*ripple

who is in JGB? i need to check them out. i know melvin had some gig with steve kimock at some point.

http://www.jgbband.com/blog/

melvin and the ladies from the JGB still tour

small venues

Ive seen them twice in the past two years, and its a great, low key, heap of fun.

Ive heard that the Donna shows with the zen tricksters are also grate-but I have never seen them.

Yeah, something is not right with furthur. Its weird. Maybe its because (rumor has it) Jill Lesh writes the setlists. Maybe its because the whole JK thing is odd. I had a grate time at one of the shows, walked out of two of them-which Ive never done before.

I really liked the 09 dead with warren-despite the outrageous prices. Im done with the experiment until mickey and billy are back on the bus.

Yeah Aman, I would never pay to see furthur at MSG. Maybe if I had never seen them before and had nothing else to do.

I'll be catching JGB tomorrow night and/or Friday. They play out here a ton (usually NYE, too). Have caught them many times and then never fail.

re: Furthur. The shows I caught last spring were fantastic. I (still) never understand the GD cover band comments. They're playing GD tunes for chrissakes! They have new tunes, as well, plus covers by other bands. It is what it is. Comparing it to GD is futile. I'll be catching the Red Rocks shows. I'm just looking for a decent night of music, some dancing, and some good times hanging with my gal and friends.

Deborah you.........

and whats the problem GDP? The guy is a real filmmaker. Damn, now they wont endorse any artistic expression regarding the old man-perhaps ther eis more to the story.

how about waiting until you see it and then asking for a reasonable royalty.

and skip all the JGB stuff so Ms koons gets S***!!!

I'll be catching JGB tomorrow night and/or Friday. They play out here a ton (usually NYE, too). Have caught them many times and then never fail.

re: Furthur. The shows I caught last spring were fantastic. I (still) never understand the GD cover band comments. They're playing GD tunes for chrissakes! They have new tunes, as well, plus covers by other bands. It is what it is. Comparing it to GD is futile. I'll be catching the Red Rocks shows. I'm just looking for a decent night of music, some dancing, and some good times hanging with my gal and friends.

well heck, I can have a good time at just about any show-and I get your point-and thats what happened with me at coney island-the atmosphere, the people I was with and the SONGS-made it a grate evening

cant say the same about the nokia or outside lands shows

but hey, justin bieber could be playing red rocks and it would be fun!

Safe travels and enjoy!

Studio Dead is largely ignored, but "Shakedown Street" is a really good single.

Deborah you effing C***

and whats the problem GDP? The guy is a real filmmaker. Damn, now they wont endorse any artistic expression regarding the old man-perhaps ther eis more to the story.

how about waiting until you see it and then asking for a reasonable royalty.

and skip all the JGB stuff so Ms koons gets S***!!!

You may be upset, but there is no reason to use that word.

We already talked about that a few pages back. Do you really want a bio-film of Jerry? I don't.

but hey, justin bieber could be playing red rocks and it would be fun!

Wha? I heard the Nokia shows (and saw some clips) and Bob was obviously, ahem, off. Still, how can they be a cover band of themselves? JK is solid and so is Russo. I like their take on the tunes (Furthur, as a whole) and couldn't care less if Jill is making the setlists (which are fine by me as they are all over the map and unpredictable). The mish-mash of the tunes/setlists is half the fun and the music is unique in it's interpretation of the songs. Overall, it varies quite a bit from GD but retains the essence. My take, anyway.

ed. And how is JK interpreting the tunes being "weird" any different than Stu Allen interpreting them in JGB. If anything is weird, it's that a Jerry Garcia Band has no Jerry Garcia in it. For the record, I love Stu's playing and voice.

Do you really want a bio-film of Jerry? I don't.

Why not? Could kind of be like Backbeat (not that I thought that was great) but a well done movie about his pre-dead life and all his influences could be good and interesting if well done.

I don't think it's a big deal about licensing Jerry or Dead songs since they didn't exist during the time the movie would take place. I think it's stupid they wouldn't license songs without seeing the finished product but I don't think them not being there would be a big deal.

Why not? Could kind of be like Backbeat (not that I thought that was great) but a well done movie about his pre-dead life and all his influences could be good and interesting if well done.

I don't think it's a big deal about licensing Jerry or Dead songs since they didn't exist during the time the movie would take place. I think it's stupid they wouldn't license songs without seeing the finished product but I don't think them not being there would be a big deal.

I have a strong dislike for rock bio films. I use to like them, but have grown to despise them. It could be I have read too many music biographies, and all that stuff is already in my head.

If they make the film without the music, if will be like that awful Hendrix film, where they had someone create music that sounded like Hendrix playing in the background.

I also think he would hate such a thing.

It's true there aren't a lot of good one's but it's no skin off of my back and they make it. If it sucks, i won't see it, if the reviews are positive, i'd check it out. As I said, for me the lack of music wouldn't be a big deal as it didn't exist then. Hearing the influces could be interesting.

If they make the film without the music, if will be like that awful Hendrix film, where they had someone create music that sounded like Hendrix playing in the background.

I never saw that but it sounds like all of the awful Bio Channel biographies on rock bands when they're too cheap to license the music so they have this sound alike music playing in the background. The Zep and Stones Bio's were escpecially egregious. I remember that bad Beach Boys Biopic when they dramtized the Smile seesions and had that sound alike Smile stuff in the background, that was tough to take.

I'm thumb's down, as well, about the biopic. I have no desire to watch an actor play him and the embellishments of artistic license. I'd imagine it'd be an annoying thing in the GD family, too. I watched part of a biography on JG a few nights ago that, even though folks like Parrish and Barlow and Donna were interviewed, had several inconsistencies/flat-out errors. That was done about five years ago and the researchers for that couldn't even nail it.

You may be upset, but there is no reason to use that word.

We already talked about that a few pages back. Do you really want a bio-film of Jerry? I don't.

sorry you are right

she brings out the worst in me

its not about the film so much as it is the greediness

It's true there aren't a lot of good one's but it's no skin off of my back and they make it. If it sucks, i won't see it, if the reviews are positive, i'd check it out. As I said, for me the lack of music wouldn't be a big deal as it didn't exist then. Hearing the influces could be interesting.

I never saw that but it sounds like all of the awful Bio Channel biographies on rock bands when they're too cheap to license the music so they have this sound alike music playing in the background. The Zep and Stones Bio's were escpecially egregious. I remember that bad Beach Boys Biopic when they dramtized the Smile seesions and had that sound alike Smile stuff in the background, that was tough to take.

The Hendrix film was made by Showtime.

There was also an E! Channel documentary about Jerry. It showed a fat guy with white hair stumbling around out of focus in the background - if I recall correctly.

Wha? I heard the Nokia shows (and saw some clips) and Bob was obviously, ahem, off. Still, how can they be a cover band of themselves? JK is solid and so is Russo. I like their take on the tunes (Furthur, as a whole) and couldn't care less if Jill is making the setlists (which are fine by me as they are all over the map and unpredictable). The mish-mash of the tunes/setlists is half the fun and the music is unique in it's interpretation of the songs. Overall, it varies quite a bit from GD but retains the essence. My take, anyway.

ed. And how is JK interpreting the tunes being "weird" any different than Stu Allen interpreting them in JGB. If anything is weird, it's that a Jerry Garcia Band has no Jerry Garcia in it. For the record, I love Stu's playing and voice.

I never referred to them as a cover band. And you are right about the JGB without Jerry-it is weird.

Seeing JK sing mountain dew at a festie was just weird-Hard to explain, but Furthur just gets less interesting each time-like I said, I always have a fun seeing bobby and phil, but musically, it just doesnt grab me-it feels hollow. Seeing Melvin and Stu in a bar is more musically satisfying if that makes any sense.

And for the record, I enjoyed the dead tour in 09-even though I am not a warren fan.