that St. Paul show is so fun. thanks for the recommendation. love 80-82. just a cool time for the band i think. solidifying the second set sequence with drums and space, enjoying brent, not having to deal with a married couple in the band, before Touch, before jerry lost his voice and got old.

my go to studio is Mars Hotel. cant go wrong with unbroken and pride. and of course the US blues reminds me of the dead movie.

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Furthur (Twitter)

Phil Lesh and Brian Lesh Build on David Crosby and Ola Belle Reed Originals for New Furthur Songs

Furthur has debuted two new songs over the past two evenings, both of which have the word “Mountain” in the title. Of more significance though is that both are collaborations between Brian Lesh and his father Phil, along with some earlier songwriters. On Friday at the Cuthbert Ampitheater in Eugene, the group performed “The Mountain Song,” in which the Lesh duo worked with a David Crosby original (the same tune that yielded the Allman Brothers Band’s “Mountain Jam”), along with some Robert Hunter lyrics.

Here is what Brian Lesh had to say about the song’s origins:

Campfire to campfire or porch to porch, many folk songs have been passed down orally from older generations to younger ones. As they get passed down, the songs change with each new performer, and ownership of that song dissolves from a singular into a collective.

‘The Mountain Song’, as played by Furthur, is a great example of this tradition. It began, as far as I know, on the outtakes of David Crosby’s If I Could Only Remember My Name, which featured a song called ‘Mountain Jam’*. It was a simple, repetitive song stretching eight or nine minutes, with only one repeated lyric (‘Gonna make the mountains be my home…’). Even so, the progression, melody and the passion of the musicians on the album made the song so hauntingly beautiful that it stuck with me from the first time that I heard it.

I play in a band called Blue Light River, a group for which I write the songs. My good friend and bass player, Scott Harvey, one day suggested that I find an old Dylan bootleg and write another ‘Wagon Wheel’. (For those that don’t know, Old Crow Medicine Show’s massively popular ‘Wagon Wheel’ is only half written by them: the chorus is actually a Bob Dylan song called ‘Rock Me Mama’ that can be found on the Genuine Bootleg Series Vol. 1, Disc 2). The idea stewed in my brain for a couple of weeks, until one day ‘Mountain Jam’ came up on shuffle on my iPod. I immediately set to work, and soon the Blue Light River song ‘Mountain Town’ was born. Using David Crosby’s refrain as a chorus I wrote three verses and just like that, another incarnation of the song was born. It was a song that strongly represented the folk tradition; it used the original music to create something new that simultaneously respects and builds on that original.

It was that same tradition that created the song that Furthur plays, ‘The Mountain Song’. After hearing Blue Light River’s song, my mom, Jill, did some research and found lyrics written by Robert Hunter that were meant to be added to David’s original composition. Seeing the potential, she brought them to my dad, Phil, and me, and together we came up with a third incarnation of the song. Using David’s chorus, my arrangement and music for the verses and Hunter’s lyrics, we built a new song that pays homage to and builds upon my song, which in turn was built upon the original.

I’m guessing that the journey for this particular tune is far from over. Just because Furthur plays the song one way and Blue Light River plays it another doesn’t mean that there can’t or shouldn’t be a fourth or fifth incarnation of the song. Music isn’t meant to be inert, it is meant to grow and change. That is why ‘The Mountain Song’ is so special, because it is the product of at least seven different musicians that has developed for over 40 odd years.

Then last night at Marymoor Amphitheater in Redmond, WA, the group premiered “High On A Mountain,” which began with an Ola Belle Reed song. Here are Brian Lesh’s comments on that tune:

High On A Mountain is another song that follows in the same tradition as ‘The Mountain Song’. Originally written by Ola Belle Reed, the song has had many incarnations in the country and gospel genres. Knowing how incredibly powerful traditional songs can be (see; I Know You Rider, Long Black Veil, etc.), my dad came up with a beautiful new rendition of the song. However, the one problem was that the song was too short. Ola Belle Reed’s version only had two verses, and the universe doesn’t allow Furthur to play a song under five minutes long. I was given the honor of solving this problem, and soon came up with three new verses. While the original song was something of a sad love story, I aimed for a different type of love, that of brothers. Working on this song was an incredible experience, and I hope you all enjoy listening to it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Furthur is off tonight and will next perform on Monday at the Santa Barbara Bowl.

On Friday at the Cuthbert Ampitheater in Eugene, the group performed “The Mountain Song,” in which the Lesh duo worked with a David Crosby original (the same tune that yielded the Allman Brothers Band’s “Mountain Jam”), along with some Robert Hunter lyrics.

The Allman's Mountain Jam is based on the Donovan song "There Is a Mountain."

yeah, something is amiss here with brian lesh. he doesn't seem to have the exact info. glad to see them writing new songs. didn't they already have two...one was about dancing. so maybe an album by 2020. phil will be 80. i'd like to see phil revisit wave to the wind, if the shoe fits, and childhood's end. bobby needs to revisit easy answers. that and the two unreleased ratdog songs...she said, gasoline?...you got an album:)

seven hills of gold is another new tune from last summer. sound like jack straw.

Which they have actually learned from The Grateful Dead, or Fleetwood Mac. I have read various accounts of how that came to be.

I think the Crosby song he is talking about came from the Planet Earth Rock And Roll Orchestra sessions.

By way of Mountain Bed:

Grateful Dead Live at Fillmore East on 1970-09-20

Taper's Section (September 20-September 26, 2010)

Welcome back to the Tapers' Section, where you're always welcome to come and listen to some prime Grateful Dead music for free. This week, we have music from 197, 1983 and 1989.

Our first selection is from 4/14/72 in Copenhagen, Denmark. This was the first Europe '72 show I got on tape back in the mid-1980s, and I instantly fell in love with the tour's sound. The Europe '72 album was already a favourite, but to hear a complete show was a blast. From this, the 4th show on the tour, we have Bertha, Me and My Uncle, Mr. Charlie, You Win Again, Black-Throated Wind, Chinatown Shuffle, Loser.

Next up, from the Broome County Arena in Binghamton, NY (home of Harpur College!), we have the opening of the second set, consisting of Help On The Way>Slipnot!>Franklin's Tower>Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance. There was some pretty good much played on this tour.

Lastly this week is more music from the Irvine 89 run we've played the past couple of weeks, specifically the start of the second set on 4/29/89, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider ; Looks Like Rain ; He's Gone >Spoonful, a classic late-80s sequence, played extremely well.

Join us next week for more great tunes from the exact same years we've heard this week. As always, we encourage you to write to the email address below with questions or comments about the Tapers' Section or all things Grateful Dead.

Help/Slip/Frank Sailor>Saint!! that sounds incredible. can't wait to listen. AMan, many thanks for posting these every week.

(I really wish Wilco had signed off on letting their live shows be posted at Archive.org.)

same here. I just don't have the time/ space on my pc to acquire Wilco shows like I did back in the day. however, I do have the time to check out the rest of that Felt Forum '71 show! still sounding great :thumbup

@vacant

I think "easy answers" got its due on the Rob Wasserman "Trios" album. I really like that recording with him and neil young.

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_

Have you guys listened to the warlocks box yet? I've only checked bits and peices but really liked the Playin>UJB>Playin

Any suggestions on a good 1980's release Grateful Dead? I have worn out the "Steppin out" album and I am looking for something a bit different. Mostly I listen to GD radio but would like to expand the collection now. I need some ideas.

I wonder who owns it now. I've read that his estate was not worth very much when he died.

I had read that it was still owned by his widow, that filmmaker, I can't remember her name. I imagine it was her decorating, not Jerry's. Lot of good that exercise room did.

Deborah Koons

I have feeling it has been re-done a few times. I think Rock Scully talks about that place in his book.

Bill Kreutzmann just showed up in the list of people I should add as a friend on Facebook.

@vacant

I think "easy answers" got its due on the Rob Wasserman "Trios" album. I really like that recording with him and neil young.

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_

Have you guys listened to the warlocks box yet? I've only checked bits and peices but really liked the Playin>UJB>Playin

good point. forgot about that. neil's guitar really sounded good on that.

Taper's Section (September 27 - October 3, 2010)

Greetings and welcome back to the Tapers' Section, where this week, as we mentioned last week, we'll hear music from the same years as last week's installment, 1972, 1983 and 1989.

Our first stop this week is at City Hall in Newcastle, England on 4/11/72, the 3rd shows on the Europe '72 tour, and we're pleased to play the heart of the second set made up of Truckin'>Other One>Comes A Time. Please note there's a cut during The Other One, which is a cut on the master 16-track reels (from which this rough mix was produced). Rest assured that fortunately, with most Europe '72 shows, there are also 2-track recordings that usually contain the bits that are missing from the multi-tracks during tape changes.

Next up is music from a rare Grateful Dead visit to West Virginia when the band played in Morgantown on 4/10/83, and we're pleased to play the start of the second set, Touch Of Grey>Women Are, Smarter, Uncle John's Band>Playing In The Band>Drums. I'm a fan of this early 1980s Playing In The Bands, as the jams often led to some deep space before usually dropping into Drums.

Lastly this week is music from the 2nd night of a two-night run in Milwaukee, on the excellent Spring Tour of 1989. From 4/16/89, we have the start of the second set, Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain ; Saint Of Circumstance > Truckin' > Drums > Space. In the Grateful Dead world, 1988 was a transitional year for the band, with a lot of excellent playing, but a lot of inconsistent playing as well. When the band returned to the stage in early 1989 with six shows in California followed by the Spring Tour, they indicated clearly they were back with an energy closer to the 1987 band than the 1988 band, only better. Virtually every show on the Spring Tour was excellent, a trend that would continue for the next 16 months or so.

Join us next week for more great stuff from the vault. And please feel free to write to us at the email address below, and make sure to include “Grateful Dead” in the subject, to bust through our state-of-the-art spam filters.

David Lemieux

I had read that it was still owned by his widow, that filmmaker, I can't remember her name. I imagine it was her decorating, not Jerry's. Lot of good that exercise room did.

It was probably neither. Places like that are professionally staged.