I had read that it was still owned by his widow, that filmmaker, I can't remember her name. I imagine it was her decorating, not Jerry's. Lot of good that exercise room did.

Reportedly Jerry only lived there for less than a year. His estate sold it in 1997 and the guy who bought it totally renovated it. About five years ago he was selling items from the house (toilets, dishwashers, drawer handles, etc.) to try to raise money for a foundation. I don't think I ever heard how the sale went but I remember lots of articles at the time about people bidding on ebay for Jerry's toilet.

As others have noted, it's safe to say that the place now looks nothing like it did 15 years ago when Jerry lived there.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a copy of the Almanac in the mail. I guess they have started mailing them out again. It seems odd that they would spend money to make and mail such a thing out to thousands of people these days.

got the Almanac today as well. also got one maybe a year ago (?) love the full page poster they include with them. does seem strange that they are mailing them out again. they are pretty nice. however, it looks like mine sat in some water and was stepped on a time or two someplace between the GD headquarters and my home.

I got an email the other day to download it....

Hmm....

I wonder if they are just mailing them to people who have ordered stuff from them in the past year or something like that.

I have mentioned this before, but Tim Truman, the guy who does the artwork is from WV.

got the Almanac today as well. also got one maybe a year ago (?) love the full page poster they include with them. does seem strange that they are mailing them out again. they are pretty nice. however, it looks like mine sat in some water and was stepped on a time or two someplace between the GD headquarters and my home.

I don't recall getting one until now. I could be wrong about that.

They restarted it last year, I think. I got one last year and one last week. I can't remember if I signed up for it or if they are just sending them out to people who used to get them back in the day. I enjoy receiving them, (mostly because it reminds of the "olden days") but the content does seem kinda of obsolete.

I haven't got it yet, but I probably will get the 69 Road Trip release.

I have not really had a desire to listen to music for several weeks. I ran across this show today:

Grateful Dead Live at Fillmore East on 1970-09-20

I am getting into it somewhat. It is a great show.

Check out 9/19/1970 from that same run - a legendary and truly ridiculous second set (actually the third set, given the NRPS intermission).

Morning Dew, Me And My Uncle, Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, Cold Rain And Snow, Easy Wind, Sugar Magnolia, Dark Star > Saint Stephen > Drums > Not Fade Away > Darkness Jam > China Cat Jam > Not Fade Away > Turn On Your Lovelight

The Grateful Dead home site seem to be having some fun with a guessing game - I don't think I would be very good at it.

30 Days of Dead link

Each day, the first person to guess the venue & date correctly will get a Road Trips of their choice. If you’re not first but you've answered correctly, you will also be automatically entered for a weekly prize of THE WARNER BROTHERS STUDIO ALBUMS VINYL BOX (EXCLUSIVE EDITION) or a FORMERLY THE WARLOCKS boxed set. Log in now and enter to win!

I got the year right (81) on the Althea, but way off month wise. I picked the Dec. Greek show. I had to go to Deadlists to search for the shows that they played Althea - would be this be considered cheating?

The Athena played was from Hartford (3/14/81)

I truly admire you guys and your close guesses to these jams/ shows. I have always prided myself in knowing way too much about The Doors and their career only lasted 5 years! you guys have 30 years to cover, haha. best of luck!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It was that way with a lot of those bands back then. It had to do with the movement away from folk/acoustic music, to electric/rock music.

I think Phil just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

It was that way with a lot of those bands back then. It had to do with the movement away from folk/acoustic music, to electric/rock music.

I think Phil just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Makes sense, he was obviously a hell of a musician before even taking up bass, but to get that good on an instrument that quickly? Boggles my mind.

missing the GD new years radio broadcast. that was alwayas a lot of fun.

XM is currently playing the 12/31/69 - beginning of the 2nd set, Garica said "well, looks like the '70s are gonna be weird." :lol

I don't think I have ever listened to this show before, the first set was great.

I taped the 90 and 91 NYE's shows off of WXRT. The 12/31/90 show has always been a favorite of mine.

Makes sense, he was obviously a hell of a musician before even taking up bass, but to get that good on an instrument that quickly? Boggles my mind.

I don't know that he was that great, it depends on how you look at it, I guess.

I don't know that he was that great, it depends on how you look at it, I guess.

I have played with quite a few bass players and they all seem to be in awe of him. To me, improvisation is the hardest part of playing music and he is just a monster in that realm.