I have played with quite a few bass players and they all seem to be in awe of him. To me, improvisation is the hardest part of playing music and he is just a monster in that realm.

I suppose I end up comparing him to Jack Casady, which is unfair. I'd say he had it down by the early 70s.

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XM is currently playing the 12/31/69 - beginning of the 2nd set, Garica said "well, looks like the '70s are gonna be weird." :lol

I don't think I have ever listened to this show before, the first set was great.

I taped the 90 and 91 NYE's shows off of WXRT. The 12/31/90 show has always been a favorite of mine.

both of those shows are great. i love when bob says,'to our radio listeners out there, this is known as Dead air.' fun stuff.

as far as phil goes, i think lack of training paid off for him. all the best, most recognizable instrumentalists had some training but mostly taught themselves. phil's one of them. no one plays bass quite like him and he's one of the reasons why the dead were so great. i can sit down and listen to a set and just listen to phil and be totally enthralled. of course jerry is totally compelling, but so is bobby. no one plays guitar like him at all. he plays all these goofy inverted chords high on the neck and hardly every plays the rhythm. i'm astounded every time i hear Franklin's because no one is actually playing the song. everyone is just improvising.

• 2 weeks later...

New feature up at Dead.net:

Jam Of The Week

Every Friday we'll be sending you off with a Jam Of The Week, hand-picked and delivered by tape archivist David Lemieux. Listen to it on the weekend. Listen to it at work. Listen to it all day long...but make sure you tune in or you'll miss out because these little nuggets will stream for ONE WEEK ONLY!

New Road Trips from Brendan Byrne 4-1-88. Great year for the band, imo:

http://store.dead.ne...rips-vol-4-no-2

that looks like an amazing set. now, instead of all these taper sections and jam of the week, i wish they would just start a dead digital sight where they put every show up. then we could download the ones we want and maybe for a fee, stream everything.

I think when a show is made available commercially, it gets taken down at the archive. Although, that may just for multi-track releases. I have seen soundboard sourced shows available for streaming only, but not available for download. Of course, this does not mean AUD sources. And as I have said before, you can grab just about every soundboard there is by way of bt.etree.org. Why those shows don't get banned on bt.etree.org or other BT sites is beyond me. I figure if a buy a show I am paying for the HDCD mastering and the artwork/liner notes.

You can strream most shows for free already at archives.org....

i know. but there are different versions etc. i'd just like to see a nice clean dead site with cool dead graphics etc. archives is nice though.

I think when a show is made available commercially, it gets taken down at the archive. Although, that may just for multi-track releases. I have seen soundboard sourced shows available for streaming only, but not available for download. Of course, this does not mean AUD sources. And as I have said before, you can grab just about every soundboard there is by way of bt.etree.org. Why those shows don't get banned on bt.etree.org or other BT sites is beyond me. I figure if a buy a show I am paying for the HDCD mastering and the artwork/liner notes.

right, the mastering etc is nice. i don't torrent anymore, so archive is best at this point.

that looks like an amazing set. now, instead of all these taper sections and jam of the week, i wish they would just start a dead digital sight where they put every show up. then we could download the ones we want and maybe for a fee, stream everything.

I agree, at least with DVD's. I was listening t0 6/17/91 over the weekend and would love to have a dvd of the show. You know there was a pro-shot of this and there is really no reason for them not to make it available officially, they don't need to do the big package releases like they just did with the JFK show. If they did want to do it at another time, they probably could and would still have an audience as most people don't know how to burn a DVD.

I think they take it down whether it's a multi-track or not which is kind of annoying since most of this stuff goes out of print and then becomes a pain in the balls to find later on because it's been labled as an official release.

I agree with your surprise at these boards being allowed to circulate. I read somewhere where the Dead drew the line having the SBD's hosted for permanent download (archive.org) vs. having the boards torrented where they won't be up forever.

I am glad that for the audio only stuff that they haven't made all of this available for d-load as it would cut down on the amount of shows I have. I'm a real hypocrite when it comes to this stuff because I always buy official releases instead of d-loading for free to support the artists but when it comes to these shows, it's just too much and too expensive to buy every show you want and I do liberally take advantage of the sbd's and mtx's available. I guess I rationalize it that I do buy all of the official DVD's but obviously this is a contradiction.

I rationalize it by their/Garcia's original policy of "once we're done with it, the audience can have it" philosophy.

Yes, good point, I'll use that although I'm not sure they had those tasty soundboards and matrixes in mind at the time.

I rationalize it by their/Garcia's original policy of "once we're done with it, the audience can have it" philosophy.

i wish garcia's stuff was more readily available. seems like the pure jerry series went out of print fast.

New Road Trips from Brendan Byrne 4-1-88. Great year for the band, imo:

http://store.dead.ne...rips-vol-4-no-2

This show is pretty good. Just snatched the board from etree and really dug the first set. It says its just a sbd master and makes no mention of it being an ultramix but really sounds like one to me, a lot of audience and a really nice mix. Can't imagine how much better the official release will sound.

This show is pretty good. Just snatched the board from etree and really dug the first set. It says its just a sbd master and makes no mention of it being an ultramix but really sounds like one to me, a lot of audience and a really nice mix. Can't imagine how much better the official release will sound.

Wonder why they never looked into getting Charlie Miller on board to do some official matrix releases. Some of his work sounds better than the 'boards do....

I also think it was one of the last "Ballad"s. I caught this one and the one in Hampton. They may have done another on the West coast right after this east coast jag. I never really liked how the tune came out. Sounds flat to me. The "To Lay Me Down" is fantastic, as are the two opening tunes. Nice pick for the series, imo.

Wonder why they never looked into getting Charlie Miller on board to do some official matrix releases. Some of his work sounds better than the 'boards do....

I also think it was one of the last "Ballad"s. I caught this one and the one in Hampton. They may have done another on the West coast right after this east coast jag. I never really liked how the tune came out. Sounds flat to me. The "To Lay Me Down" is fantastic, as are the two opening tunes. Nice pick for the series, imo.

Has Charlie done matrixes? I thought all he did was clean up existing boards but I could be wrong. You are right though, this particular one is so clean and crisp, there really is no reason to buy it.

Not huge fan of ballad either, of all the Dylan tunes they did, this may be my least favorite. I saw somewhere where they said this was the 2nd and last appearance. That opening 3 of Half-Step/Jack Straw and Lay Me is excellent.

For alternate opinions of the worthiness of this pick, check out the thread on GD Vault, they're pissed an '88 was released, especially this one. Not really sure why the vitriol since you can get any show you want and most posters there probably have them all anyway. If you don't like it, dont buy it. I think they want every show from 69-74 released and skip everything else.

'88 was an excellent year, imo. In fact, '87-89'/'90 were excellent years. I think this selection is a good selection for that year, too.

I agree, saw my first show in '88. I never understood why the hate for '88. People love '87, '89 '90, did they all of the sudden suck for a year in the middle? I think the setlists aren't as adventurous and that is why people don't like it.

The Grateful Dead is getting a videogame. Through a new deal with an independent games developer, the band hopes to turn young folks on to the music and culture of the late Jerry Garcia and company.

The surviving band members gave the project their blessing, but the agreement was brokered by Rhino Entertainment, the Warner Music Group subsidiary that has managed all of the band’s intellectual property since 2006.

“We can’t wait for everyone check out the fun new toys we are building,” said David Lemieux, the band’s longtime archivist, in a statement.

Article here:

GD Video Game