Have to admit, the set ended with a bit of a dud. But overall the set was great.

I was expecting another tune, but woman r smarter sounded alright just not a set closer.

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was expecting another tune, but woman r smarter sounded alright just not a set closer.

That's what I meant. I wanted another song. It sounded good.

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em. :shifty Set 2 could be a guest fest.

Great interview with Branford Marsalis.

I was lucky enough to see Brandford play a set with Joshua Redmen last year at orchestra hall.

somebody is shit faced.

I was lucky enough to see Brandford play a set with Joshua Redmen last year at orchestra hall.

That would have been great. I never saw a jazz show at orchestra hall. one of these days...

That would have been great. I never saw a jazz show at orchestra hall. one of these days...

I worked there for a bit, I went to a few shows there two years ago. Caught Wayne Shorter with Brade Blade, John Pattuci and Danielo Perez.

The Gorge

5/16/09

Set One:

Music Never Stopped

Loose Lucy

Crazy Fingers>

Dark Star>

Dire Wolf

Just Like Tom Thumb\\\'s Blues

Into The Mystic

Man Smart, Woman Smarter

Set Two:

Passenger>

Hell in A Bucket

Althea

Eyes Of The World

Drums

space

days

dark star

618074.jpg

618081.jpg

618085.jpg

"Eyes" in a venue like The Gorge would HAVE to be so sweet. :dancing

Warren sounds pretty damn fluid here.

man, I really miss drums, these composed jams have been cool but I enjoy old school drums.

Remember the beam? Damn, that thing scorched me so many times. And the xylophone-type instrument...Bill on talking drum or something similar, while Mick was doing the color. So tribal. '80-'85 was my favorite period for the drums.

Remember the beam? Damn, that thing scorched me so many times. And the xylophone-type instrument...Bill on talking drum or something similar, while Mick was doing the color. So tribal. '80-'85 was my favorite period for the drums.

this is more like it.

the drums and space portions are some of my favorite parts of later shows.

The beam was a monster. Hart hasn't been playing it all this tour?

the segue into days was good. Bob does this song great.

Great Sat Nit

Guest Alan

Which GD songs would you guys like to hear Wilco cover? off the top of my head i'd love to hear Box Of Rain or Cumberland Blues

Which GD songs would you guys like to hear Wilco cover? off the top of my head i'd love to hear Box Of Rain or Cumberland Blues

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd love to hear Jeff with Phil and friends.

Off the top of my head though maybe broken down palace, uncle john's band.

Jeff's voice really would suit a lot of the jerry tunes.

Oh MB, I loved the beam...One time at Alpine I swear the beam sent down the rain that night :worship. I thought the Gorge show was a nice ending...We had a listening party/dinner party in Marin. Perfect evening reunion of our GD tribe/nice show/food under the redwoods :thumbup . I've decided that we need to make let Warren sing signs.I agree that Jeff would do justice to a lot of Jerry songs but will Bobby every want to stop singing those? Anyone going to Roxbury?

Link

May 18 - May 24, 2009

Tapers Section By David Lemieux

Hello and welcome back. This week at the Tapers' Section we have music from 1973, 1977 and 1981, each jam featuring some excellent playing.

First up this week is the second-of-three weekend shows in May, 1973, this one being from 5/20/73 in Santa Barbara, a wonderful jam consisting of Truckin'>The Other One>Eyes of the World>Stella Blue.The late spring and summer of 1973 was somewhat odd in the Grateful Dead's touring history in that there wasn't any really big summer tour, aside from a short six night run on the west coast at the end of June (Vancouver, Seattle, Portland and three nights in Hollywood). Instead, the band played a few well-selected larger scale shows between 4/2/73 and 9/7/73, specifically: Des Moines on 5/13, Santa Barbara on 5/20, SF on 5/26, Washington DC on 6/9&10, Watkins Glen on 7/27&28 and Roosevelt Stadium on 7/31 and 8/1. The quality of these shows certainly made up for the lack of quantity.

From the first night of a two night run at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta, on 5/18/77, we're very pleased to play the start of the second set, featuring Jack Straw, Ship of Fools, Estimated Prophet>Eyes of the World. The next night on 5/19/77 is a little more well known, thanks largely to its inclusion on the massive 6-CD Dick's Picks Volume 29, but this 5/18 show contains plenty of great music.

Lastly this week, 5/17/81 in Syracuse, we have the second set opener of Cold Rain and Snow>Samson and Delilah, Ship of Fools, Estimated Prophet. There was plenty of good music played on this tour, including the 5/6/81 show from Nassau that is Dick's Picks Volume 13, and for all of you video enthusiasts, the Tom Snyder Tomorrow Show with which you might be familiar was taped was on 5/7/81.

Be sure to check in next week for three massive jams, two from 1972 and one from 1977. See you then, we hope, and feel free to write with questions or comments to the email address below.

David Lemieux

The first solo in Eyes Of The World is pretty cool.

Well, tours over. Anyone downloading the shows? I've got a few and am probably going to get the gorge show later today, I was not expecting to hear so much good stuff. While their were plenty of train wrecks this tour was way better then the last few.

ripple

it must have been the roses (Jeff solo-he could belt that one out)

U.S. blues (I know, not a favorite, but wilco could twist it just right)

samson

greatest story

I think wilco could do justice to just about any Dead tune, except maybe dark star :lol