• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff beat up Ripple pretty bad at a solo show in the 90s. Pretty funny, but kinda harsh too, if you're a real Deadhead!

Phil did later sat in and sang ripple with jeff.

Jeff beat up Ripple pretty bad at a solo show in the 90s. Pretty funny, but kinda harsh too, if you're a real Deadhead!

It wasn't all that harsh, I don't think. Wasn't all he said something like "Was it about the drugs or was it about the music?" Which is actually a pretty fair question coming from somebody who is not a fan and only really knows them by reputation.

That said, I have said about a million times that Ship of Fools is right in Jeff's wheelhouse. Probably Loser or Deal, too.

Of course, if they really wanted to make me pee my pants, John could drop a Phil-bomb into The Other One coming out of the "noise" at the end of Handshake Drugs. That would be pretty rad. :thumbup But I'm not sure Wilco has that in them.

That said, I have said about a million times that Ship of Fools is right in Jeff's wheelhouse. Probably Loser or Deal, too.

ship of fools and loser would sound great

>Of course, if they really wanted to make me pee my pants, John could drop a Phil-bomb into The Other One coming out of the "noise" at the end of Handshake Drugs. That would be pretty rad. But I'm not sure Wilco has that in them.

Yes. Some of their noise outros would make for a perfect segue into another song.

Listening to 9.28.92 Deer Creek show.

Great, great Help/Slip/Frank.

Like an idiot, I never saw the Grateful Dead at Deer Creek. One my friends, who started to tape in 91 or 92, always went and taped the shows, so I was able to listen to them soon after he got back. This one always stood out. It's nice to have a Matrix of this show that I got off of etree.

Listening to 9.28.92 Deer Creek show.

Great, great Help/Slip/Frank.

Like an idiot, I never saw the Grateful Dead at Deer Creek. One my friends, who started to tape in 91 or 92, always went and taped the shows, so I was able to listen to them soon after he got back. This one always stood out. It's nice to have a Matrix of this show that I got off of etree.

You MUST mean 6/28/92. Best. DC Show. Ever. (I think :stunned )

Seeing how DC is approximately 20 minutes from my house I saw every show there, of course. Maybe it was just me, but even on tours that were subpar they nearly always played well there. But the first set on this show is as good as any of the Vince years. In fact the whole show really stands as one of the finest of the last 3 years.

Yes, 6.28...sorry about that. (now I have Hendrix in my head). To Lay Me Down is killer here, too.

Yes, 6.28...sorry about that. (now I have Hendrix in my head). To Lay Me Down is killer here, too.

Last TLMD ever, I think. I remember that first set so well. Me and my best friend were sitting on the lawn with the tapers. When Help started the set we lit a celebratory doob. Then the set just kept progressing with outstanding (and a few somewhat rare) tunes so we kept lighting a celebratory doob. And another. By the end of the set I almost could not move but I was as happy as a clam! :lol

Last TLMD ever, I think. I remember that first set so well. Me and my best friend were sitting on the lawn with the tapers. When Help started the set we lit a celebratory doob. Then the set just kept progressing with outstanding (and a few somewhat rare) tunes so we kept lighting a celebratory doob. And another. By the end of the set I almost could not move but I was as happy as a clam! :lol

:lol

I was also at all of their Deer Creek appearences, but 6-7-91 is the killer for me. The Scarlet>Fire>Truckin'>New Speedway to start the 2nd set is probably the best segue I witnessed from the boys. The sun hitting the horizon during the Scarlet>Fire transition was icing on the cake. Good times at Deer Creek.

Link

Welcome back to what we hope is another great and interesting week here at the Tapers' Section. This week we have two major jams from the Europe '72 tour, as well as a big, typically hot jam from the May 1977 tour.

First up this week is the big second set jam from 5/24/72, the third-to-last show of one of the greatest tours in Grateful Dead history. From this excellent show, we have Mexican Hat Dance, Truckin'>Drums>The Other One>Sing Me Back Home. Ditties like this Mexican Hat Dance are quite common, but this is definitely one of the most well-developed tuning ditties the band ever performed.

Next we have, from the very next show, the penultimate concert on the tour, a completely unique, and very well-played jam of Uncle John's Band>Wharf Rat>Dark Star>Sugar Magnolia from 5/25/72. When we put together the 4-CD set Steppin' Out with the Grateful Dead in 2002, we'd considered doing it as a 5-CD set, and this jam would have been the centerpiece of Disc 5, but it ended up as a majestic 4-CD release, with which we were very happy.

Finally this week, from the very last night of ALSO one of the greatest tours in Grateful Dead history, we have the second set sequence from Hartford on 5/28/77 featuring Estimated Prophet>Playing In The Band>Terrapin Station>Not Fade Away>Wharf Rat>Playing In The Band. This tour, from its very first show on 4/22/77 to this night, is one of the finest periods in Grateful Dead history, up there with April-May, 1972 and October-December, 1973. Every night featured something completely unique and interesting and inspired. This is really one of those tours from which I can grab any show randomly and be happy with what I selected. This Hartford show, of course, was recently released as a full-show, 3-CD set titled To Terrapin-Hartford '77.

Be sure to stop in next week for music from 1970, 1974 and 1980. Lots of great coming up as we end May and start June. See you next Monday, we hope.

David Lemieux

those are some excellent picks for this week's taper's section. cool to read that Steppin' Out was supposed to be 5 discs. Steppin' Out and Hartford '77 are my fav. official releases right now. its true that you can pick pretty much any gig from the spring '77 tour and not go wrong.

those are some excellent picks for this week's taper's section. cool to read that Steppin' Out was supposed to be 5 discs. Steppin' Out and Hartford '77 are my fav. official releases right now. its true that you can pick pretty much any gig from the spring '77 tour and not go wrong.

Good to hear because Steppin out is the first one I bought based on recommendations from people here. And I am loving it.

For some reason I always feel like playing GD on sunny days when I'm driving around. There is something about them that makes them a sunny day band for me. Maybe because the only time I saw them was at golden gate park during the day? Maybe it's the relaxed vibe of a warm summer day where you don't have to be anywhere and can really dig in to it? Not sure.

5 discs of Steppin' Out would have been cool with me. Heck, I love that thing so much I wish that thing was 500 discs!

Am I a weirdo in that I still don't totally "get" '77? I'm still looking for a show from that period to make me go "Ooohhhhhhhhhhhh, I see what you mean", you know? I got the Hartford set recently and thought it was okay, but not really one of my favorite releases. Similar deal with most of the Spring '77 shows I've heard. Something is just not clicking for me and I can't really place it. Interestingly, I was listening to some '76 stuff the other day (which frequently gets panned by a lot of people) and realized that THAT year might be my dividing-line between "oh hells yes!" GD and "this is ok" GD.

anybody catch the band on Letterman last night?

kind of a lifeless sugar magnolia ... that ended at the fake ending, before the whole sunshine daydream bit

hate seeing them reduced to being so mundane ... three-minute pop song and out of there, but i guess that's all you can ask for on network TV

04/22/83 Veterans Memorial Coliseum - New Haven, CT

Set 1: Finiculi Finicula, Feel Like A Stranger, Bird Song > CC Rider, Row Jimmy, Mama Tried > Mexicali Blues, Cold Rain & Snow, My Brother Esau > Deal

Set 2: Help On The Way > Slipknot > Franklin's Tower > Samson & Delilah, Ship of Fools > Women Are Smarter > Drums > Truckin' > Spoonful > Stella Blue > Around and Around > Good Lovin', E: It's All Over Now Baby Blue

I was driving down the road with my iPod on "shuffle," and all of a sudden this very upbeat Samson & Delilah comes on. I'm thinking, Hmm, that's a pretty smokin' version ... I wonder if that's from a show I went to? Sure enough, it was my second Dead show, the first having been a few months earlier. I decided to listen to the whole thing, and am definitely liking it again. I always dug those obscure '80s cuts, like Esau. (Hell, I even liked Day Job! )

^I was also at that show

the ole new haven coliseum man o man

My favorite shows are between 82-90 The brent years, or the coke and smack years if you will. Haha

^I was also at that show

the ole new haven coliseum man o man

My favorite shows are between 82-90 The brent years, or the coke and smack years if you will. Haha

I was there, as well (went to HS in New Haven and grew 15 min. outside of NH). They've torn the old coliseum down yet I still get the willies remembering the outdoor escalator (always wigged me out) and the circular ramp leading up to the parking garage on the roof.

hate seeing them reduced to being so mundane ... three-minute pop song and out of there, but i guess that's all you can ask for on network TV

I suppose they could record a sprawling 30 minute Dark Star and then cut it into 3 minute segments aired over the course of 10 nights, but that would just confuse people. :stunned