im looking at a bunch of eq pedals to use with my tube amp, a peavey classic 30. has anyone had some good experience with them? which ones are good, and how do you use them?

i was looking at the electro-harmonix graphic fuzz, which has a compressor of sorts built in.

Recently i picked up an Artec SE EQ8. It's my first eq, so i don't have a point of reference, but it seems to be doing what eq is designed to do, and is pretty quiet. It's korean made and about 40 bucks on ebay, which isn't a bad price considering it's true bypass (which the Boss isn't) probably not pro quality but can't go wrong for the price.

can someone explain the benefits of an eq pedal? I've never had one.

I got it in order to sculpt a pretty specific tone. In my case it was by boosting the mids way up and taking everything else WAY down- it created the sound i was looking for. This setting was not a general purpose setting, though.

Another use i put it to is when switching between lead and rhythm. when doing this i actually lower certain frequencies to use as kind of an anti-boost, eliminating the muddiness of lower frequencies, so that when you turn it off (to solo) the fullness of the guitar hits you. This is kind of "backwards" to how it's often done, though, so actually there's quite a bit you can do if you play around.

I got it in order to sculpt a pretty specific tone. In my case it was by boosting the mids way up and taking everything else WAY down- it created the sound i was looking for. This setting was not a general purpose setting, though.

Another use i put it to is when switching between lead and rhythm. when doing this i actually lower certain frequencies to use as kind of an anti-boost, eliminating the muddiness of lower frequencies, so that when you turn it off (to solo) the fullness of the guitar hits you. This is kind of "backwards" to how it's often done, though, so actually there's quite a bit you can do if you play around.

they're nice pieces of technology. i've used mine a little, but just never really found the setting i liked, and my setup sounds pretty good without it. hell, i might use it if i sat down with it tomorrow. ....which i will do.

• 3 weeks later...

i play with two other guitarists (rhythm), a pedal steel and banjo. any frequency nerds here that could give an evaluation of the ranges these instruments typcially sit in? and from that, any recommendations for a range i could use an eq pedal to get into this range?

i play with two other guitarists (rhythm), a pedal steel and banjo. any frequency nerds here that could give an evaluation of the ranges these instruments typcially sit in? and from that, any recommendations for a range i could use an eq pedal to get into this range?

i'm not savvy enough to give you anything precise, but they are all pretty close in range. 3 guitarists, a pedal steel and a banjo gives you 5 instruments in very close range, and it would be very difficult (i would think) to avoid overkill. too bad one of you three guitarists doesn't play bass and another mandolin. seems that would be more effective than an eq pedal.

just my .02

The boss ones work fine. I use mine as an outright boost for solos and such. You get all that volume boost ability with huge control over the tone. Handy, also nice if you have to play acoustic guitar through an electric amp. Can reduce feedback and get you closer to a regular acoustic tone in a pinch.

The boss ones work fine. I use mine as an outright boost for solos and such. You get all that volume boost ability with huge control over the tone. Handy, also nice if you have to play acoustic guitar through an electric amp. Can reduce feedback and get you closer to a regular acoustic tone in a pinch.

You can boost solo's with an eq pedal? Interesting, never tried that and didn't really know it could work that way. I use a volume pedal with a block of wood in the front for boosting solos. Just rock it forward a bit for boost and then rock it back to home (resting on the wood) when you don't want a boost. Kind of cheesy but it works.

I have to admit, never had much use for an eq pedal either.

I may have to start a thread about compression because I never really understood that either.

i would say all instruments are in the same range, they just tend to blend depending on volume. different frequencies are different tones, or timbres.. i think.

100 hz (bottom end chunk)

200 hz (warmth)

400 hz (boost for darkness, cut for more clarity)

800 hz (trashiness)

1.6 khz (throatiness)

3.2 khz (brightness)

compression makes the guitar feel alive. its why everyone digs small tube amps.

So you would recommend trying it? I always thought it took away your dynamics (although adds sustain). Again, I know nothing.

ive been searching for the right compressor for a while. dyna comp compressors change the phase of your attack, so it sounds/feels weak. i would say optical compression is the way to go, or those compressors with a "direct blend" control. i just get compression from the tube amp by cranking the power tubes. i will get a new compressor soon though.

this is a good wealth of info: http://amptone.com/

eq pedals allow you to control the signal going into the amp, while compressors get that extra bit of sustain through the amp. you can basically hit the preamp with a stronger signal, which will help the power amp to "saturate" or whatever. im still trying to really get a good sound out of my amp (which is in the shop)

Any thoughts on Analog vs. Digital delay pedals? Not sure what the difference is. I'm narrowing my choices down. So far it looks like:

MXR Carbon copy vs. Boss DD7 vs. that big ass Line 6 thing with all sorts of settings.

I just want to sound like David Gilmour, is that asking too much?

• 3 months later...

Have the Boss GE-7! Wouldn't gig without it - it really gives me the sound I need. My rig is set up with the Garcia on board effects loop so I need to get another one for the dry output to give it more of a boost. I have an old MXR 6 band. Plan on trying that at the next gig.

Also use the Boss Compression/Sustainer pedal but its really hit and miss. I can get some good chicken pickin' sounds with it using my Tele.

In general though - I really think an EQ pedal is a crucial part of a pedal board. Especially after overdrive/distortion pedals to shape the tone.