Wilco (the theory)

First off, I think this is a fun album. Nothing groundbreaking, but definitely some cool stuff and and definitely an enjoyable listen. That said, I have a theory.

Everything about this album screams The Beatles to me. To start, there are the endless Harrison nods in You Never Know (fuzz guitar tones, harmonies, and My Sweet Lord lifts--all of which unquestionably intentional--that have been discussed ad nauseum, ), the Penny Lane-ish horn at the end of Everlasting

Well written, well argued. I agree that the creative peak is back up behind them, so now its just a career. I think you're reading too much into the empty chairs though. I'm expecting a slow (and painful) descent. That said, this is a lovely record on its own terms, if a little too eclectic.

Lord, lord, they haven't even played any of these tunes yet on a tour, so give them a bit of time before they do the breakup thing. I certainly don't expect to find them on top of the Sears Tower with a bunch of policemen trying to keep crowds back on the street and Jeff asking if they ``passed the audition.'' I think perhaps this is what felt good to them in recent months and this is the record they want to put out. Since I have never really gotten over the shock of SBS and the sudden downshifting in tone this record is not a huge surprise. I am not ready to pass judgment on (the Album) yet - I like all of what I have heard - but I think I may like it more than SBS. Why we are so eager to see our Heroes bleed for us and produce ``Reservations'' or a ``Hummingbird'' or ``IATTBYH'' on every record is probably a bit too much to expect. Besides there have been many quirky and light songs before - Being There is crowded with hooks and pop. I myself will be happy if they hang together, put out music that suits them and hope their audience will come along for the ride. Perhaps that future music will be happy, sad, angst-ridden or devilishly complex and grating. Kenny G they will not B.

Other than that one guitar part in You Never Know I can't hear anything that makes me think of The Beatles on this album. The only other time I've ever thought about The Beatles when listening to Wilco is listening to Hate It Here in the middle eight of that song.

After Analogman pointing out the Captain & Tennille song in the main album review thread - I'm starting to think all their recent upbeat songs sound like that.

It is a fun little deal you have there...creative, and to use the parlance of our times, "outside the box"... but really, no. No way. In practical terms, they will be doing this for a long time because it is their jobs and they are still VERY good at it. IMHO, better than ever. Taking the band part out of it and just looking at it as a career for a second... if you are lucky enough to do what you love and get paid for it, would you quit? It sure seems these guys enjoy what they are doing, so why quit? Still an interesting theory nonetheless. When I was in college I loved all that Beatles "Paul is Dead" code stuff. If you haven't already, check out the music writer Chuck Klosterman. He writes a weird music theory here and there as well. Good books.

Other than that one guitar part in You Never Know I can't hear anything that makes me think of The Beatles on this album. The only other time I've ever thought about The Beatles when listening to Wilco is listening to Hate It Here in the middle eight of that song.

After Analogman pointing out the Captain & Tennille song in the main album review thread - I'm starting to think all their recent upbeat songs sound like that.

Double Yoi

Without touching the "Wilco is Dead" theory, I must say that the first time I heard "Everlasting Everything," I was hit immediately by the Ringo drum vibe (and the Lennony chord progression). Add that to the White Album photos in the Loft gigapan and it is clear that the late period Beatles were at least a sonic influence, if nothing else. And yet, the record completely and utterly sounds like Wilco rather than some Beatles pastiche.

I'm going to put myself out there and say that you're wildly overanalyzing and dead wrong. Sorry.

For sure...Wilco isn't the Beatles, they still need to work to make money, which includes alot of touring. All of the members of the band have side projects so there is really no need for them to break up to fuel their own ambitions.

LouieB

Have you played the album backwards?

All kidding aside I agree definitely that:

the late period Beatles were at least a sonic influence, if nothing else. And yet, the record completely and utterly sounds like Wilco rather than some Beatles pastiche.

As for breaking up after this album, I doubt it. Wilco may record with less frequency over the coming years, and it's possible the lineup could shift at some point...but it seems that both Jeff and the other members of the band feel like this is both an excellent creative space and a band they like to be in. All the members are free to do their own solo projects/touring/etc. and Wilco pays the bills. Seems like a pretty ideal situation to me, especially given how positively the band members speak of each other.

Yes, Nels appreciates a steady paycheck. Yes, Nels like creativity and it might be time to fly. Glenn needs to hang out w/ people his own age; forget these old fogies. It's time for John and Jeff to move out to the sticks and write a country album. The Flying Burrito Bros. revisited.

Yes, Nels appreciates a steady paycheck. Yes, Nels like creativity and it might be time to fly. Glenn needs to hang out w/ people his own age; forget these old fogies. It's time for John and Jeff to move out to the sticks and write a country album. The Flying Burrito Bros. revisited.

Agreed.... But I think Jay Bennett needs to be a part of this

Ken Coomer can play the country drums.

Ken who? :shifty

After hearing Summerteeth for the first time (and well before she became a fan of Wilco) my wife said, "do they think they're the Beatles or something?"

For some people, great music = Beatles.

For me, Wilco = Wilco, and 90% of the time, = Great Music. Wilco ≠ Beatles....EVER, Apples ≠ Oranges, though I love them both.

Agreed.... But I think Jay Bennett needs to be a part of this

Ken Coomer can play the country drums.

I'll invite Max Johnston.

I mean, if we're going to go down this road, we may as well invite Jay Farrar and Mike Heidorn.