Wilco (the theory)

Although I totally disagree with the OP it WAS an nice, well thought out post. My hope is that the band follows a more Dead-like trajectory - just going out and being a working live band for years and years and years to come. Gigs are their bread and butter. I can't imagine some scenario where they sell a zillion copies of a record and make a decision to quit touring.

Guest Alan

Comparing Wilco The Album to Abbey Road is laughable. Abbey Road is an innovative masterpiece. How would Wilco be finishing out on top? I don't care if you like W(TA) or not, I don't think anyone would say that Wilco is currently at the top of their game. Not in the studio anyway.

Ken who? :shifty

After hearing Summerteeth for the first time (and well before she became a fan of Wilco) my wife said, "do they think they're the Beatles or something?"

For some people, great music = Beatles.

For me, Wilco = Wilco, and 90% of the time, = Great Music. Wilco ≠ Beatles....EVER, Apples ≠ Oranges, though I love them both.

You can't ignore obvious influences though. I think Summerteeth has a really great mixture of a Beatles and Beach Boys sort of vibe to it.

One thing is true, Jeff has put an epic finale on 3 of the last 4 records now..not unlike Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End. Maybe he's a fatalist and does it "just in case" this is the last....who knows. But I don't believe it is planned as the end.

Everlasting just sounds so much like The End (abbey road), its Ringo-fills and all, and it just sounds so final--for some reason much more final than simply the last track on any album (a feat that The End accomplishes so well).

To be slightly pedantic, "The End" wasn't the last track on Abbey Road. Now, if W(TA) on vinyl/CD has a short, light-hearted

vocal/acoustic number tacked on at the end, I'll admit you might be onto something!

To be slightly pedantic, "The End" wasn't the last track on Abbey Road. Now, if W(TA) on vinyl/CD has a short, light-hearted

vocal/acoustic number tacked on at the end, I'll admit you might be onto something!

Dark Neon, anyone?

The comparison would be valid if Jeff and whoever the other songwriter in the group was were actively trying to slay each other while the third, blooming songwriter guy was just trying to get some fucking songs on the record. That's not the case with Wilco. Wilco loves being Wilco. The Beatles did not like being the Beatles near the end.

It was a well-put argument though.

man...i have a buddy that is all the time looking for the end of s'thing great...like having a great evening and they'll say, "man, this is fun! don't want to go home!" of course, that is a mild example, and there are heavier examples, but they would probably be lost on you, the collective audience, b/c you don't have the context of our relationship, but i mention it b/c some of you may have a similar friend/acquaintance...at the very least, you've read the primary post of this thread, which seems to be in the same vein...

...but speakin a veins, let's just put a shot in this one, and enjoy what is happening: a damn good album (maybe, as some of you say, not their best studio release, whatever), and for those of us lucky enough to get to see them live over the past few years in their iterations, a band that is def. on top of their "live" game.

so let's just enjoy it now. all things must end, indeed. but why waste headspace on the future? fill it up with the present.

I'm going to put myself out there and say that you're wildly overanalyzing and dead wrong. Sorry.

Being dead wrong remains to be seen I suppose, but I definitely agree with the wildly overanalyzing part. With that said it was an interesting read, and well written.