What happened to Wilco's edge?

honestly i don't think wilco was ever an edgy band. edge is like eminem - he says things that make people uncomfortable, he cusses a lot, etc.

Check out the Wilco Archive; show from 10-29 1997.. Jeff said something about "I'm glad this is an all ages show so I can cuss".. And then he cussed up a storm the rest of the show. Hilarious stuff actually..

Not trying to make a point or anything, your post just made me think of that.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

But putting a 12-minute drone in a song is the sort of thing that edgy musicians do, no?

Ha ha ha ha ha1 Brilliant! :thumbup

I think it relates to life in general...w/o proper amounts of stress, eustress specifically, the mind/body will not perform to its ability. Sometimes negative forms of stress enable mind/body to strive beyond perceived capacity- creativity is enhanced.

Says who? Tonight's movie on Lifetime? The latest drunken rehab autobiography? It's simply bullshit. I have personally and seen many creative bursts come from an uncluttered life, from peaceful, contented people.

What you say is blather. Nothing more.

The questions shouldn't be what happened to Wilco's Edge...it should be what happened to U2's Edge? He plays the same notes all the time.. I still love U2 though :stunned

This is exactly what I wanted to post. Good work.

Also JB wasn't solely responsible for the band's edge, in fact probably one of their edgiest records, AGIB, was made without him. Tweedy, Kotche and O'Rourke were just as important to the band's mid-period records, which we're all fantastic, but they're doing something different now, it's not better nor worse, it's just different.

--Mike.

edgy-

via chicago- dreaming about killing your wife

she's a jar- not beating your wife

ashes of american flags- taking on the popular sentiment of your country's manifest destiny during a time of war

war on war- speaks for itself and time of war

shot in the arm- being so fed up that you are prepping a needle

on and on and on- opening yourself to the public about a recent death and death in general, that takes guts

and musically, using the experimental jazz notion of putting people on edge, much like Bitches Brew

I would say lines like "I dreamed about killing you again last night and it felt alright to me" and "she begs me not to hit her" are pretty edgy. Whether it was because of tension or migraines or whatever, the Tweedy that wrote those lines was definitely coming from a different (and more interesting, in my opinion) place that the one who wrote a whole song listing house chores.

Some of you guys here are really drinking the kool aid and seem very insecure.

@IMissTheInnocence,

So if a Wilco fan who owns every record, UT/LF record, and other side projects doesn't like the new record

that person should "stop complaining" and "shut up"?

What are you working for Wilco Inc?

Check out the Wilco Archive; show from 10-29 1997.. Jeff said something about "I'm glad this is an all ages show so I can cuss".. And then he cussed up a storm the rest of the show. Hilarious stuff actually..

Not trying to make a point or anything, your post just made me think of that.

While I don't want Jeff to return to his boozing, toking, pill popping days (disclaimer) his unpredictability during those shows is hilarious.

Also JB wasn't solely responsible for the band's edge, in fact probably one of their edgiest records, AGIB, was made without him. Tweedy, Kotche and O'Rourke were just as important to the band's mid-period records, which we're all fantastic, but they're doing something different now, it's not better nor worse, it's just different.

--Mike.

Majorly agree with this. And with YHF, I would wager Kotche had as much -- if not more to do with the positive development on that album, just based on what's on the tracks, and seeing the direction the band has taken since (including AGIB). Who knows how many headaches and obstacles Bennett created on YHF vs. any positive influence. He tried to control it by building up barriers, hiding or cryptically labeling tapes so no one could come in and do any work. The scene in IATTBYH wasn't some trumped up, spliced scene designed to make Bennett look lost and fumbling. The camera simply took it in.

Instead of silliness like "what happened to Wilco's edge" if Bennett didn't go, the thread would be (on another band's board) "What happened to that band Wilco?"

And the answer would be the same one given at the beginning of this thread.

Alternate answer #1 to this thread title:

Say, you don't listen to a lot of music, do you? The Edge is in another band. Also he's igniting a storm of controversy by trying to build several homes along a bit of pristine coastline in Malibu.

@IMissTheInnocence,

So if a Wilco fan who owns every record, UT/LF record, and other side projects doesn't like the new record

Did you buy the album you're whining about?

Says who? Tonight's movie on Lifetime? The latest drunken rehab autobiography? It's simply bullshit. I have personally and seen many creative bursts come from an uncluttered life, from peaceful, contented people.

What you say is blather. Nothing more.

actually it is science

@IMissTheInnocence,

The only time "stop complaining" and "shut up" appear in this thread is in your post.

Someone just compared Nels' wankery on SBS to Bitches Brew. Now I've heard it all.

One thing I do like, however, is the pedal solo on "Solitaire". More of that please.

I wasn't referring to SBS and BBrew; clarification, the music on YHF and AGIB and live recreations of older songs, e.g. VC, uses music to create a sense of agitation, being uncomfortable.

I would say lines like "I dreamed about killing you again last night and it felt alright to me" and "she begs me not to hit her" are pretty edgy. Whether it was because of tension or migraines or whatever, the Tweedy that wrote those lines was definitely coming from a different (and more interesting, in my opinion) place that the one who wrote a whole song listing house chores.
edgy-

ashes of american flags- taking on the popular sentiment of your country's manifest destiny during a time of war

on and on and on- opening yourself to the public about a recent death and death in general, that takes guts

and musically, using the experimental jazz notion of putting people on edge, much like Bitches Brew

What the *( are you looking for? Snuff films? Exploring, developing your craft -- pushing out your own boundaries -- that's being edgy. It's not saying outrageous things, or doing outrageous things. If you simply want outrageous, run naked through the shopping district, hire the guy behind the dumpster, develop an aneurysm, drink heavily, lose your job, knock yourself out!

I promise I'll listen to your record, as long as you leak it for free.

actually it is science

The science of creativity? Of art?

Evidence?

Guest Jules

you know when these were written, correct?

edgy-

So Bull Black Nova isn't edgy? That lyric isn't about traipsing around in a flower patch.

I've been disappointed with the record (and fairly critical), but that's not to say there aren't a few tasty tidbits in there. I feel that Deeper Down stands up to some of the other "Edgier" songs people are discussing. I admit I'm going to put this record down pretty quickly, but there are a few keepers in there, and I'm going to support the band by purchasing the album. Just compare this record to 99.9% of the other bullshit that will be spewed out by other "artists" this year for some perspective.

I think it relates to life in general...w/o proper amounts of stress, eustress specifically, the mind/body will not perform to its ability. Sometimes negative forms of stress enable mind/body to strive beyond perceived capacity- creativity is enhanced.

By your theory, we should be listenting to some incredible masterpieces from Jay Bennett. Where are they?

Rooney,

I like Nels but he doesn't hold a candle to what Jay brought to the table. And yes,

just my opinion and I don't expect all to agree.

In terms of technical mastery he is up there, but I think he limits Jeff and doesn't

challenge him enough.