I can't be the only one who thinks

Nels Cline has ruined Wilco. Why don't they just get Santana to join? Why all the flash? Play from the heart not the head. Jay was a much better creative partner.

Being There, Summerteeth, Yankee Hotel and Ghost are my favorites. No wank.

The new album is enjoyable but you can hear Nels suck the life out of it. Much different vibe and not in a good way.

I will listen some more. I am trying to dig it but it is trying to break my heart.

Nels Cline has ruined Wilco. Why don't they just get Santana to join? Why all the flash? Play from the heart not the head. Jay was a much better creative partner.

The new album is enjoyable but you can hear Nels suck the life out of it. Much different vibe and not in a good way.

I will listen some more. I am trying to dig it but it is trying to break my heart.

No wank on A Ghost is Born? Spiders, At Least Thats What You Said, Handshake Drugs? Come on.

No wank on A Ghost is Born? Spiders, At Least Thats What You Said, Handshake Drugs? Come on.

And does he realise that Bennett was gone by then? Tweedy developed that soloing sound on AGIB and Nels was a great choice to fit into that style while progressing it himself as well. Nels is as important and as successful an addition to the band as Kotche was in my opinion.

And does he realise that Bennett was gone by then? Tweedy developed that soloing sound on AGIB and Nels was a great choice to fit into that style while progressing it himself as well. Nels is as important and as successful an addition to the band as Kotche was in my opinion.

I'll second that.

The Nels vs. Jay argument will be around until the end of time.. I personally think Nels is a modern guitar genius, and Tweedy was a genius for choosing him.

I loved the soloing on At Least Thats What You Said, and that was all Jeff! Tweedy IMHO has become such a strong and creative guitar player over the years and that album really showed that he could stand on his own...That being said, I personnaly am tired of Nels Cline...He's great at what he does, but that jazzy guitar tone is beyond old...I was never more saddened when JB left the band and I could go on and on on how huge of an influence he was in the Wilco band...I probably saw half a dozen Wilco shows from the time JB left the band to when Nels joined...In fact I was at one of the first shows they played after JB left...It left a lot to be desired...By the end of that tour, Tweedy along with Leroy Bach, were really starting to tear it up...

At this point in the bands career, I would love nothing more than to see Wilco go on sans Nels Cline...Just my two cents, but thats something I feel very strongly about.

I think the sound is progressing and melding in better on the new album. Hopefully Nels is here to stay. He's given a different dimension to the older songs live and doesn't seem to be standing out as much on the new album as on SBS. People here were complaining that he was taking over with his solos and needed to meld into the band more. Now he's done that on W(TA) and still the haters aren't happy.

i dont know if youve actually listened to the new albums but they dont even use nels like that. sure he has like 2 solos on imposs and side with but hes just backround noise. They use him unfortunately like a GD pinch hitter.

The band has never sounded better than after pat and nels joined. One thing i noticed was nels got tuned way down in the mix starting with the 930 club shows in feb 08. as predicted he has much smaller role on the new album. no 8 minute guitar solos. Yea the novelty has worn off but thats fine, wilco really just needs a solid lead guitar and I think nels is falling into that role. Pat replaced leroy, nels was a new addition.

wilco need to do a collaboration with nickelback. that would be sweet. with nels cline and santana dueling leads. fuck yea.

Guest Speed Racer

I find it just a smidge ironic the number of threads that keep popping up about how unoriginal Nels' contributions are to Wilco. I mean, after 2004/2005 they really lost their originality...?

I can't be the only one who thinks these threads are getting really old :yawn

But response like these are not!!!!

I enjoy and respect Jay for his influence in the studio, but for me, EVERY Wilco song sounds better with the current lineup

Lets just put this on every thread:

If you don't like Wilco anymore, then just move on. Find a new band to lay your hang-ups on.

Jay Bennett was a paint-by-numbers guitarist who was great at copping other licks, but lacked his own style. Nels Cline is a different player all together. Apples and oranges. This is Wilco now, that was Wilco then. Plus, if Jay Bennett is so damn fantastic, why is his career basically in the can at this point?

I'm pretty sure I remember reading a story a couple of months ago that said Wilco recorded most of the new album in Australia without Nels. They were there collaborating on another project and really felt the need to record some stuff they had worked up, apparently, and Nels was just going to be overdubbed. I'm just about to head out, so I'm a little pressed for time or I'd look it up myself, but I thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone else remembers that. I'll look it up a little later when I have a chance.

Guest Speed Racer
Plus, if Jay Bennett is so damn fantastic, why is his career basically in the can at this point?

See, now THAT is apples and oranges. I think it's pretty clear that he's battled his own demons and bad luck since leaving Wilco. He's tremendously talented, without a doubt, and has a strong track record as a collaborator.

That being said, it's hard to forge a successful solo career when you sing like Cookie Monster.

New Zealand, I meant, not Australia. Whoops. I've been listening to the stream the past couple of days. For some reason I didn't like it at first, but on the second listen everything just clicked. I'm quite a big fan of it now. My point earlier was that Nels really seemed like a centerpiece of some of the songs on SBS, and I don't really get that vibe here. He seems to just be adding some accents and flourishes here and there. This album really reminds me of AGiB for some reason, and like some of those songs, I can see Nels having a bigger role during live shows. Here's a link I found a minute ago, but it doesn't say anything about Nels not being there when recording:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/267...al_on_new_album

Anyway, I love Nels in Wilco. I personally think he's the best thing that happened to the band post-Bennett. I hope he stays with the band for years to come, but even if he leaves I have every confidence Tweedy and Wilco will continue to put out great records.