• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had (really, really) high hopes for this, but unfortunately, this trailer has left them greatly diminished - fucking Hollywood. One huge, completely unnecessary change, (what appears to be) the addition of a hand-holding explanation (and, it would seem, the politicization) of the events that led to the earth

I must agree the trailer looked nothing like I had pictured the scene in my mind. Then again, if it did I suppose it would never have been made let alone sell tickets to punters.

My reactions in order:

What?

Ew

Why?

Oh no!

wait, why?

One huge, completely unnecessary change, (what appears to be) the addition of a hand-holding explanation (and, it would seem, the politicization) of the events that led to the earth

Oh God, no! That's horrible, looks like just another "blow shit up" action movie. I guess I can't really judge until I've seen the whole film, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to hate it. The environment isn't nearly as bleak as I'd like it to be. I think they're going to put way too much emphasis on the people versus people shoot 'em-up action and neglect the really great stuff that happens in the quiet moments between the man and the boy. I wish they hadn't made a movie. I knew they wouldn't get it right. :ohwell

Yeah, this was certainly a movie that just should have never been made. There is no way Hollywood wouldn't totally steal the soul of the book. Looks like they did and then some.

Always hard to tell from a trailer but I have to agree with what everyone has said so far. We don't need them to fill in any holes in what event took place to cause what happened. And it did look like they eased up on the unsparing nature as far as the presence of ash everywhere and the darkness.

On the plus side, it looks like a great cast. Michael Williams from "The Wire", it looked like Garret Dilahunt from "Deadwood" (amazing actor), of course Viggo.

It is a great cast and Mortenson is notoriously bolshy as an actor and I know he has read the book well before any movie was mooted, so I am surprised he didn't hold out for a darker version or maybe to have Cronenberg helm it.

Viggo Mortensen, one of Hollywood's true artists, working with John Hillcoat, the man responsible for the dirty, barbaric, smart The Proposition? I'm not going to let a trailer--made by ad men, not the filmmakers--to ruin my high hopes. I'll reserve judgment until I see the actual movie.

Besides, fidelity is vastly overrated when it comes to screen adaptation. A filmmaker's first loyalty should be to making good cinema, not necessarily a faithful recreation of the book. What makes a great book great is usually its literary qualities, but what makes a great movie great is usually its cinematic qualities. Almost by definition, literary qualities don't easily translate to the screen--which is why faithful adaptations often arrive DOA, and why mediocre novels sometimes make for terrific movies.

For me, the relevant question isn't whether The Road is a faithful adaptation. The question is whether it succeeds as a movie on its own terms.

Guest Hollinger.
Viggo Mortensen, one of Hollywood's true artists, working with John Hillcoat, the man responsible for the dirty, barbaric, smart The Proposition? I'm not going to let a trailer--made by ad men, not the filmmakers--to ruin my high hopes. I'll reserve judgment until I see the actual movie.

This. I refuse to believe that John Hillcoat will not do justice to the novel. The trailer was cut to try to get your average moviegoer who couldn't give two shits about the novel to come see it. And most of them are going to be disappointed by how "boring" the actual film is. I'm guessing they scraped together most of the action in the movie to try to sell the film because "that's what people want to see".

If you haven't seen The Proposition, see it yesterday. It's an amazing movie, and I have complete faith in John Hillcoat.

maybe to have Cronenberg helm it.
That would have been promising. He does that quiet, atmospheric thing well and that's how I read the book.

John Hillcoat, the man responsible for the dirty, barbaric, smart The Proposition?
This is good too though.
For some reason I thought this came out a long time ago. I loved the book.

It was originally slated for release last year, October or November if memory serves. From what I understand, it was held back for tweaking purposes - never a good sign.

those newsreel images you see in the trailer are NOT in the movie. it's bullshit the studio inserted so the dumb ass mainstream audience has a frame of reference as to what "caused" the disaster. i am guessing that this will be the number one reason people will be turned off to the movie, because "it doesn't tell you what happened..." like that's even the fucking point. sort of like when people complained that No Country for Old Men had no ending.

there's a great article in Esquire about the movie. the writer has seen it and gives a lot of praise.

So make no mistake - the movie seems pretty arthouse. it's just a crappy trailer, that the director even didn't like.

those newsreel images you see in the trailer are NOT in the movie. it's bullshit the studio inserted so the dumb ass mainstream audience has a frame of reference as to what "caused" the disaster. i am guessing that this will be the number one reason people will be turned off to the movie, because "it doesn't tell you what happened..." like that's even the fucking point. sort of like when people complained that No Country for Old Men had no ending.

I

It's encouraging to hear people's thoughts on the director which I did not know about. I have to say, that book haunted me for quite awhile after I read it. I'm going to bet there will be quite a few people leaving the theatre pretty shaken up. I can think of one scene in particular that's going to get talked about.

Beltmann is right. For a change.

Still, it's hard for me to separate film from book. My head knows that the film's job isnt to faithfully reproduce the book. My heart is a different story.

This story strikes me as one best left to the images in my head. What made the story so wonderful was what wasn't said, and what wasn't shown. Movies can't get away with that.

I may end up skipping this one. Maybe not. Probably not.

I may skip this one too. The book freaked me out. The last thing I need is more grimness and negativity.

I would be willing to bet The Road will be a much less depressing film going experience than the majority of lighter material slated for release this summer/fall

I would be willing to bet The Road will be a much less depressing film going experience than the majority of lighter material slated for release this summer/fall – e.g. – any movie in which Jim Carey (who, on occasion, can turn once turned in a brilliantly understated performance – see also Eternal Sunshine) mugs for the camera.

Fixed it for you.

Of course Beltmann is probably right. Isn't he a Professor of Film or something? Those guys are normally right...and irritating...and always in the kitchen at parties. Weirdoes... :P

Of course Beltmann is probably right. Isn't he a Professor of Film or something? Those guys are normally right...and irritating...and always in the kitchen at parties. Weirdoes... :P

I don't go to parties, ass. People get me down. :P