Guest Hollinger.
I am appalled by your ignorance on this matter.

You get a sticker!

Mass market paperbacks aren't really all that shitty though. They're certainly not something you want to collect and save to pass down through the generations or anything but they have their strong points. They're nice and small for carrying around and since they're cheaper, it's not a big deal if you lose it or give it away to a friend when you're done with it. Nearly all of my sci-fi stuff is MMPB and I've got a lot of classics in that format too, the Steinbeck and Faulkner type stuff.

I have no problem with them if I'm traveling and need to find a cheap portable book to keep me entertained on a flight or in my hotel room or whatever, but I would definitely prefer a TPB if available.

EDIT: Yeah, I know too much about some of that stuff. My "dream job" is similar to yours. :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am appalled by your ignorance on this matter.

Not nearly as appalled as I by your willingness to associate with such low-class recepticles of otherwise perfectly good literature - and besides, my good mam, I own a Keendle!

snob1.jpg

Guest Hollinger.

Do you like it? I was intrigued by the idea, but I own too many damn book, and am too into the collectors mindset to not have physical copies of my books. Unless you're being facetious, which you probably are. Either way, I'm going to ask the question.

Not nearly as appalled as I by your willingness to associate with such low-class recepticles of otherwise perfectly good literature - and besides, my good mam, I own a Keendle!
D'oh! I'd forgotten you were of the Kindle-class! Us po' folks like our books cheap and made of paper so we can burn them for warmth when they shut the gas and electricity off for non-payment. ;)
Do you like it? I was intrigued by the idea, but I own too many damn book, and am too into the collectors mindset to not have physical copies of my books. Unless you're being facetious, which you probably are. Either way, I'm going to ask the question.

All facetiousness aside, yeah, I asked for and received a Kindle as a Christmas gift (thank you, Satan!). It

D'oh! I'd forgotten you were of the Kindle-class! Us po' folks like our books cheap and made of paper so we can burn them for warmth when they shut the gas and electricity off for non-payment. ;)

Oh, I

I've only read through maybe 15 pages of the book due to more pressing matters (i.e. term papers) but I did notice that the book presents a much, much bleaker picture than the trailer. I have no idea whether or not this is a good thing or a bad thing, but reading through the book after watching through the trailer had me thinking "yeah, I see Viggo saying that" multiple, multiple times, so that is a major plus.

• 3 months later...

As of this morning, Variety was the only publication to give The Road a poor review. Esquire Magazine ran a story based on an earlier cut, and gave it a rave review. The trailer had me a bit worried, but now that I’ve had the opportunity to watch a few scenes, my mind has been set at ease - for the most part.

Rotten Tomato reviews - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10009460-the_road/

The Esquire piece - http://www.esquire.com/features/movies/the-road-movie-review-0609

• 1 month later...