Suggestions for a new acoustic

Again I come to you good folks here at SST seeking advice. I have only ever owned one acoustic guitar -- a '67 Gibson Dove. I absolutely love the Dove, which my dad handed down to me, but I am starting to want another acoustic. I mean, I have multiple electrics for different sounds. Why not another acoustic (because, really, can a man own too many guitars?)? Also, as much as I love my Gibson, it can be quite difficult to record. It's got a big booming bottom end that can come off a little muddy if one isn't careful. For purposes of variety, I'm thinking I could use something a little brighter and crisper. To make things a little more tricky, however, I'm not really in a position to spend a lot of money. Last year, I spent a good bit of dough making my custom strat and made some upgrades to my recording rig. I'm also about to buy a new car. Not too many years ago I bought my '53 tele reissue. So, I can't swing more than about $500. Now, I realize that I'm not going to be buying anything great for that paltry sum of money (paltry in terms of buying a guitar -- I by no means consider this a small amount of money). However, I feel fairly confident I can get something I enjoy playing and that adds some much needed tonal variety to my recording (until that day years in the future that I can afford a Gibson Super-Jumbo). I mean, I've got a lower-end hollow-body electric (Epiphone Dot) that I enjoy despite it being of lower quality than some of my others.

So, I'm asking for suggestions. I've had my Dove for so long that I haven't really considered any other acoustics outside of the kind of pie-in-the-sky daydreaming about guitars I'll never afford (you know, heading down to Gruhn Guitars and drooling over 50-plus-year-old Martins and amazing old Gibsons). Thus, my knowledge of guitars in the low end of the spectrum is extremely limited. More than a decade ago I worked in a music store and sold lower end guitars, but I'm out of the loop now. Like I noted, I'm looking for something crisp, bright, and punchy. I'm looking for pure acoustic, no electronics necessary. So, what lesser-priced guitars do ya'll recommend that I give a strum at my local stores?

Oh, and before some of you folks (rowboat, a.miller -- I know what ya'll are thinking) suggest it, I'm really not up to the challenge of making my own acoustic -- that seems like a huge step up. I unfortunately don't have the time right now, and I suspect that the cost would end up being quite high. I perhaps would consider restoring something, though. Anyway, I have no doubt I'm going to get some great suggestions, and I look forward to hearing them.

Seagull guitars are pretty well-crafted Canadian guitars (Godin subsidiary). List price they're about 500-600$ (off the top of my head), but I got mine around $300 on eBay as a gift from my parents about 6-7 years ago. There may be other models that are cheaper or more expensive than the one I had.

I've also heard pretty good things about Alvarez, but I'm not sure if you can find one under $500.

If you're looking for a great low-end, quirky but great playing guitar, I recommend a Wechter Pathmaker. It has a bolt-on neck, but because of the system of bracing Wechter created, the Pathmaker is a double-cutaway, allowing comfortable action to the 19th fret. They play great, and most acoustic/electric models come with a three-way miking system that rivals the Martins. Sounds great acoustic, but plays like an electric. Wechter trained is a colorful Midwestern guitarmaker (the low-end Pathmakers are made in China, his U.S. made axes are $3K to $4K) with a long history of working in R&D. I've talked to him on a number of occasions.

I've seen these. they have a very bizarre laminate neck.

For the lower end stuff I always thought Taylor was a better buy than Martin but I have to say, you are probably not going to find a better deal than that. Not even sure Taylor sells a guitar at that price.

For the lower end stuff I always thought Taylor was a better buy than Martin but I have to say, you are probably not going to find a better deal than that. Not even sure Taylor sells a guitar at that price.

that's pretty much what I've always heard/thought about lower end Taylors vs. Martins. If you're keen on dovetail necks, low-end Taylors are your only option. There are a lot of great options in $600-$800 range. I bought my wife a Baby Taylor a few weeks ago ($259 3/4 scale). Plays great and projects better than most guitars.

that's pretty much what I've always heard/thought about lower end Taylors vs. Martins. If you're keen on dovetail necks, low-end Taylors are your only option. There are a lot of great options in $600-$800 range. I bought my wife a Baby Taylor a few weeks ago ($259 3/4 scale). Plays great and projects better than most guitars.

I don't think Taylor uses a dovetail neck joint on any of their guitars and Martin only uses them on their 18 series guitars and above.

Personally, I've seen a lot of good feedback on Recording King's, which would fall in your price range...

If I were going to buy a guitar under $500, it would probably be this one:

Washburn D10SCE

I kind of randomly picked up this model around 2000 and sold it early last year as a trade-in on my Martin.

I really, really regret selling that guitar. It had great tonal balance (not boomy on the low-end) and was just a very-solid strummer-type guitar, which would be a good alternative to my Martin in some situations.

I would highly recommend blueridge guitars. A friend of mine bought one because he was going on tour and didnt want to bring his old expensive handmade guitar (dont know the builder, but it is from the early 70s). His blueridge is a great guitar, and I have since played a few more of them that were equally impressive. He paid 500 for his, and they have some cheaper than that as well.

I would highly recommend blueridge guitars. A friend of mine bought one because he was going on tour and didnt want to bring his old expensive handmade guitar (dont know the builder, but it is from the early 70s). His blueridge is a great guitar, and I have since played a few more of them that were equally impressive. He paid 500 for his, and they have some cheaper than that as well.

About five years ago, my dad went through a little phase where he decided he wanted to take guitar up again (even though he hadn't played in over 20 years), so he asked to "borrow" my Dove. Well, it was originally his, so I couldn't really refuse. My step-sister had briefly taken guitar lessons and quickly given it up, and she had a beginner level Blueridge laying around that she let me use while my dad went through his phase (which luckily only las a few months). I've got to say, I was really surprised by that guitar, and I ended up being pretty happy using for recording. In fact, when I got the Dove back, I didn't bother to re-record any of the guitar tracks I made using the Blueridge.

I can reiterate that the Seagull S6 is excellent. I've got one. I think they run between 350-400, new?

Basically, all the advice I am seeing in here matches up with what I usually hear people say when talking about great values for cheap(er) acoustics. Blueridge, Seagull, the cheap Martins, etc. I bet you will be fine if you narrow your search to those. It will come down to feel, look, etc.

Good luck!

I can reiterate that the Seagull S6 is excellent. I've got one. I think they run between 350-400, new?

Basically, all the advice I am seeing in here matches up with what I usually hear people say when talking about great values for cheap(er) acoustics. Blueridge, Seagull, the cheap Martins, etc. I bet you will be fine if you narrow your search to those. It will come down to feel, look, etc.

Good luck!

Even within these models, no two guitars sound or "feel" alike. The odds of ordering/buying a guitar sight unseen and being 99.44% happy with it is 0.56%.

Play a lot of 'em and one will jump out at you.

My first acoustic was a Seagul S6. I still have it. I think I payed $299 or maybe low $300s for it in the early '90s. It's a very nice guitar, but it is a little bass heavy which seems to be one of the things you're hoping to avoid. Maybe the newer models are more balanced. Definitely worth checking out a Seagull.

but it is a little bass heavy which seems to be one of the things you're hoping to avoid. Maybe the newer models are more balanced. Definitely worth checking out a Seagull.

No, you are right, it is a bit bass heavy. Good call.

My main acoustic is a Taylor 300 series so I crave some more bottom, and this gives it. If you are looking to avoid that, you should check it out, but it might not be the way to go.

No, you are right, it is a bit bass heavy. Good call.

Seagull makes a bunch of different models now. When I got mine, it seemed like the S6 was the only model and the options were: cutaway or no cutaway, pickup/eq or no pickup/eq. I got the most basic model: no pickup, no cutaway. Maybe a different Seagull model would be suitable.

http://www.seagullguitars.com/productlisting.htm

Even within these models, no two guitars sound or "feel" alike. The odds of ordering/buying a guitar sight unseen and being 99.44% happy with it is 0.56%.

Play a lot of 'em and one will jump out at you.

Don't worry, I wouldn't dream of purchasing a guitar I hadn't played (though I have had one purchased for me by someone else, and it through sheer luck, it worked out okay). I've given that same advice often. Years ago when I worked at a music store, I was amazed at the number of people who would come in and buy a guitar without playing it. They would say something to the effect of, "Well, I want an SG, that's an SG. Ring it up." Amazing.

My first acoustic was a Seagul S6. I still have it. I think I payed $299 or maybe low $300s for it in the early '90s. It's a very nice guitar, but it is a little bass heavy which seems to be one of the things you're hoping to avoid. Maybe the newer models are more balanced. Definitely worth checking out a Seagull.

I am indeed looking to avoid anything bass-heavy, not because I have a problem with that, but because I've already got that covered. Like I've said, I love the acoustic I have, even if it has its quirks (the '67 Gibson Dove has an adjustable bridge, something that Gibson pretty quickly abandoned -- luckily, I don't have much of a problem with rattling). I'm just looking for a little sonic variety, and I'm also looking to put a little less wear on a family heirloom.

Anyway, I really appreciate all of the great suggestions so far -- I knew the good folks around SST would come through (like I always say, this is the most helpful and civil area of Via Chicago by a long shot). It's great to have all of these suggestions bouncing around as I begin the long (and incredibly fun) process of trying out guitars around town -- it will really help focus the search.

I have heard nothing but good things about Seagull. However, I have never played one myself. Of the guitars in your price range (+/-), the one I have played and like was this one: Epi MB

No dread boomy-ness, solid wood construction. This would be my choice.

BTW, I have a Taylor 110 (lowest end full size), and really like the feel and playability. The arched back gives some serious volume. But tone-wise, a little weak (due to laminate wood). But worth checking out.

Of the guitars in your price range (+/-), the one I have played and like was this one: Epi MB

I tried one of those on the day I got my Blueridge, and I almost bought it. I think I would be satisfied if I had chosen the Epiphone over the Blueridge. The Epiphone felt very well made and had a nice sound.

I looked through my Elderly Instruments catalog yesterday, and the Recording King guitars (which someone mentioned as an option) are in the high $400-low $500 range. I've heard good things about that brand, but I'm not sure how widely available they are. That'd be another contender if there's a dealer in your area.

Like I've said, I love the acoustic I have, even if it has its quirks (the '67 Gibson Dove has an adjustable bridge, something that Gibson pretty quickly abandoned -- luckily, I don't have much of a problem with rattling).

Ahhhh.... the quirky 1960s Gibbys. Here is my 1970 Dove:

dove19xo.jpg

Don't worry, I wouldn't dream of purchasing a guitar I hadn't played (though I have had one purchased for me by someone else, and it through sheer luck, it worked out okay). I've given that same advice often. Years ago when I worked at a music store, I was amazed at the number of people who would come in and buy a guitar without playing it. They would say something to the effect of, "Well, I want an SG, that's an SG. Ring it up." Amazing.

yup got here late again...been touring

build one eh...am i that hardcore?

well 2 things in your favor i reckon...

first, $500 is pretty good place to be looking, and i have gotten to the point where i will never buy a guitar new again...just like a car you loose resale value and inherit a crappy or difficult warranty...yet, unlike a car, most acoustics get better with age...

secondly, you live in nashville, a city with more music stores per citizen than anywhere in the us, save LA...you have alot of places to look and test drive

so, having put that out there, id be looking for a used Yairi (a super value), guild, takamine (the japanese ones), or maybe higher end seagull (good stuff, youll want the spruce top one, not cedar)...you can some times find a used larrivee for about that, which would be a steal...the epiphone masterbuilt series gets good reviews, but i never played one, so caveat emptor...breedlove atlas series are in you range and are pretty good ( i have a 12 string model which is solid)

one problem youre likely to run into is there arent too many builders that make anything but dreads in your price range...so if youre looking for something more on the crisp and middy side, could be tough...

FWIW the martin suggested is about as far away from a 'martin' as you can get....its laminate except its top, too much glue for me...you can however usually find a d16gt for around 5 bills...i wouldnt bother with Ibanez, Dean, Fender, really most of the asian factories are tuning out good looking guitars that sound like shit...but one man's garbage is anothers gem...

have fun shopping man...always a ball for me...ill keep my eyes open for something that might suit you here in memphis