Singing aloud at shows

I am curious.

As a patron do you have the right to sing along?

Do you think artists would rather have people silent or singing?

I understand the whole thought of being considerate and not ruin someone elses experience but shouldn't you be able to enjoy YOUR experience as well?

For the sake of discussion, let's say this particular topic is focused around GA.

I'm sure there have been threads about this before but I don't feel like searching so save the links and give me your opinion. Please and Thank You :-)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see both sides. If your enjoyment of a show requires you to to sing along, you did pay for a ticket. If your enjoyment of a show requires hearing the band unaccompanied by the masses, you did pay for a ticket. Personally, I feel that paying to hear the music that you paid for trumps paying to hear yourself warble. This may peg me as a weirdo, but when I feel the need to sing out, I lip synch. Really.

If it's a loud rock show where you can't even hear the person next to you when they shout in your ear, I don't see what the harm is in singing. Plus, there are a lot of moments where artists seem to encourage it.

I paid to hear the people on stage sing, not the people around me.

Nobody's impressed that you know the words.

At a loud rock show, I don't much care, but if I can hear you, you should pipe down.

I sang out loud at a Wilco show at the 930 club. I thought these 2 guys were going to jump me. I was whiskey drunk, so I could have taken both of them.

You sure that wasn't George Clinton?

Damn your eyes1 I was going to post that!

I think you're basically obligated to sing along to something like "Heavy Metal Drummer" at a Wilco show but if you're watching Jeff do "Sunken Treasure" solo, they you should probably not muck that up with your own vocals.

Guest Speed Racer
I think you're basically obligated to sing along to something like "Heavy Metal Drummer" at a Wilco show but if you're watching Jeff do "Sunken Treasure" solo, they you should probably not muck that up with your own vocals.

Exactly. Context is everything. Some guy tried to sing along to "Piazza, New York Catcher" at the last Belle & Sebastian concert I was at and nearly got decked by three twee drunks.

Exactly. Context is everything. Some guy tried to sing along to "Piazza, New York Catcher" at the last Belle & Sebastian concert I was at and nearly got decked by three twee drunks.

I never wanted a signature until now. Thanks!