Singing aloud at shows

I don't think I have ever seen Jeff doing "Sunken Treasure" without someone botching it up.

Singing along is great if it is loud and there's lots of energy. If it is GA, then I think it is even more fine because people can move; if it is seated, then you're stuck next to the person. If you're down front in a GA show and think it is better to carry on conversations than see the show, that is far more annoying than singing along. Just go to the back of the venue have your conversation and don't bother the people that are there for the show. If it is quiet and no one else is doing it, definitely keep the trap shut. If it is loud, no one else can hear you anyway, :). Singing that is, talking is a whole nother story.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the most douchechill-inducing concert moment has to be on a recording of Tweedy doing 'Sunken Treasure', when he says "got my naaaaame...." some fucking dork yells "Jeff Tweedy!" each time.

It's a bit of a grey area in my opinion. If you have a singing voice like mine, it's probably appropriate, even encouraged, that you sing along with the band.

I know!

I think the most douchechill-inducing concert moment has to be on a recording of Tweedy doing 'Sunken Treasure', when he says "got my naaaaame...." some fucking dork yells "Jeff Tweedy!" each time.

GAH! I'm so with you on this. I can't listen to that tune on there anymore. Ruined!

Guest Speed Racer
Where does a Tweedy living room show fall into all this?

Not trying to be rude at all, but is there a question you're not asking that you hope one of us will answer by accident?

Guest Francis X. Hummel
I paid to hear the people on stage sing, not the people around me.

Nobody's impressed that you know the words.

At a loud rock show, I don't much care, but if I can hear you, you should pipe down.

QFT.

I don't want to deprive anyone of a good time at a concert, but if your idea of a good time at a concert is to make sure everyone there thinks you're cool for knowing the words, then I hope we're at different concerts. In general, a little fan singing is nothing. I don't mind, but sometimes you can tell it's being done simply to prove you know the words, or you're a bigger fan. Those folks can suck it.

Anyone ever been at a show where there are a bunch of fuckheads talking about setlists? Don't get me wrong, I check setlists from time to time, and I'm glad people take the time to write them down, but I'm talking about people that have past setlists memorized and say shit like "man, they haven't played this since 9/17/06". Like it's cool that you took the time to memorize that. It always seems to me like they specifically remembered the last time a band played a certain song and then went to every show waiting for them to play it just so they could say that. fuckheads.

Also, being whiskey drunk and singing along is exceptable. for the ladies. it's usually cute. ;)

I sing at shows because I like to sing and have a good time. I've never once had anyone tell me to pipe down nor do i care about impressing anyone. So there. :lol

i'm generally on your side. as long as it's not super annoying or during a quiet song, who gives a fuck. i bet most of these people get annoyed by dancing and having fun in general :cheekkiss

Why a sore subject? :dontgetit

Check my first post in this thread and you can probably guess.

I sing at shows because I like to sing and have a good time. I've never once had anyone tell me to pipe down nor do i care about impressing anyone. So there. :lol

What's "a good time" for one person might not be for others. Though it's rare that someone can actually detract from my good time at a concert by singing, it has happened a few times, and the people involved probably felt much the same about what they were doing as you do.

All I'm asking from people is a little consideration of their neighbors. If you're pretty sure your singing can't be heard, go for it and enjoy yourself. But if it's a quiet show, please refrain out of consideration for those around you.

i bet most of these people get annoyed by dancing and having fun in general

Dancing only bothers me when it involves crashing into me. Which it often seems to, at least at GA shows. Otherwise I really don't care.

Guest Speed Racer
Anyone ever been at a show where there are a bunch of fuckheads talking about setlists? Don't get me wrong, I check setlists from time to time, and I'm glad people take the time to write them down, but I'm talking about people that have past setlists memorized and say shit like "man, they haven't played this since 9/17/06". Like it's cool that you took the time to memorize that. It always seems to me like they specifically remembered the last time a band played a certain song and then went to every show waiting for them to play it just so they could say that. fuckheads.

Yo, tone down the hate. I do that, it's totally unconcious (verbal diahrrea?) and my friends are usually twice as annoyed as anyone else. I don't do it for songs played nightly, but I was at a Wilco show where they busted out a surprise (can't remember what it was at the moment), but it was rare enough that I did remember the last time it was played.

Of all the transgressions one can make, stating once during a concernt, "Wow! They haven't played this since August 2000!" is pretty mild.

And women singing along are easily as annoying as men. Drunk people and fanatics are equally horrible, because trying to reason with either at a concert is impossible.

Any dancing and singing I do at shows is certainly not done to impress anyone or to "show off" that I know the words, it's just the same singing and dancing I do when I'm alone and there's no one around to impress. If I'm in that mode, I'm probably so lost in the music and enjoying myself that I don't notice there are people around who need impressing anyway.

Well I feel a little sorry for people who don't consider singing and dancing (not enough to bother anyone obviously) as a "good time" at a rock show. But to each his own.

Guest Speed Racer
but when I feel the need to sing out, I lip synch. Really.

I do this; god I must look weird.

It reminds me of when we were driving with my cat from IL to FL. Though we pumped him up full of kitty-sized Valium from the vet, he was still yowling like a banshee all the way through the state of Indiana. Then, as we entered the great state of Kentucky, we noticed it was quiet. I turned around and still saw Jack going throw the motions, but he had completely lost his voice. :lol

Well I feel a little sorry for people who don't consider singing and dancing (not enough to bother anyone obviously) as a "good time" at a rock show. But to each his own.

Ha! I think concert behavior rules are often phrased not as, "What I can do," but rather, "What you absolutely cannot do." I'm pretty sure a lot of people with strict behavior rules for others have violated them once or twice themselves.

i'm generally on your side. as long as it's not super annoying or during a quiet song, who gives a fuck. i bet most of these people get annoyed by dancing and having fun in general :cheekkiss

see i'd say no to both singing and 'dancing' (let's call it dancing, although it's really just moving around until you're occassionally in time with the beat). do it if you are good at it, by all means. if you're not, then don't do it. my experience is that it is impossible to dance well to wilco or that type of thing, and i've never heard anyone sing in tune, but if it is some kind of a band with a beat capable of dancing to and you're not going to just jump up and down then go right ahead. by the way, question for anyone that does it: is the jumping up and down some kind of endurance test or something?

qft.

one of the best concert experiences of my life was catching westerberg on his solo tour a few yrs ago, where a good 90% of the fans were singing along with him on every song, new & old. was just an awesome night.

You know what does bother me at shows? All the people with their frackin' cell phones in the air the entire time. I'm cool with snapping a couple of photos or catching a video of your favorite song or maybe dialing a friend to let them listen in for a bit...all that's fine, but it seems like a lot of people spend the entire show watching the stage through their little phone screen. It's not like the video or picture quality on those things is that great. I feel sorry for them, like they're missing out on the full experience.

Yeah if you are annoyed by people singing and dancing at a show, then youre just a tight ass... Sing loudly, dance all over the place, enjoy yourself! :dancing

Now people talking during a show (especially during quiet parts), that's a whole nother animal..

by the way, question for anyone that does it: is the jumping up and down some kind of endurance test or something?
I think it's an involuntary reaction to the rawk. Probably genetic, some people have the jumping genes and some do not. :lol
Now people talking during a show (especially during quiet parts), that's a whole nother animal..

YES! Those people need to be pulled aside and slapped. An occassional "I love this song" or "that was awesome" is cool - having a conversation about your kid's soccer game or your latest home improvement project (both of which I've heard at concerts) should be grounds for ejection.