Singing aloud at shows

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's an involuntary reaction to the rawk. Probably genetic, some people have the jumping genes and some do not. :lol

i remember having to jump up and down no matter what, when i was younger, due to going to heavy metal shows. and it was horrible. :lol i felt like i was going to die most of the time. the only way out used to be to crowd surf your way to the front, for a few minutes break, and then jump back into the crowd for some more punishment. i almost get it at those kinds of shows, but stuff like wilco or most indie bands really don't warrant that kind of behaviour, and they're just not funky/danceable/whatever-the-word is to dance to properly. if you look at the people's faces you can see in their eyes - "do i dance to this properly, or do i just jump up and down" - they get caught in two minds and half-heartedly do a bit of both.

saw death cab a couple of weeks ago. the jackass behind me belted out (word for word as loud as he could) the lyrics for "I will follow you into the dark."

all-time low for me on the subject of sing alongs.

I am all about the jumping up and down/dancing. I make sure that I don't bump into people and if bumping is unavoidable, then it's ixnay on the anceday, otherwise 'You gotta move'.

There is no rule stating that you cannot sing at a concert. If you want to hear the band and just the band, then sit at home and watch the DVD or listen to the CD. Concerts are social events. You know that there is going to be singing and dancing. If there weren't then why would anyone want to go to a concert that you have to sit in your seat and be quite as though you were at a movie theatre. This is the only thing that has annoyed me at Wilco shows-being afraid that someone is going to get mad at me for singing along with the band. People like to have fun at concerts and bands like to see their fans having fun. If you wanna stand in a group of limp dicks then go somewhere besides a concert.

Guest Speed Racer
If you wanna stand in a group of limp dicks then go somewhere besides a concert.

Poetic. :mellow

No one here is saying they want silence at a show. The consensus seems to be "Musical act + crowd - chatter = fun time," and "DRUNK GUY SINGING AND KNOCKING INTO ME + Musical Act + (+/- chatter) = not a good time."

There is no rule stating that you cannot sing at a concert. If you want to hear the band and just the band, then sit at home and watch the DVD or listen to the CD. Concerts are social events. You know that there is going to be singing and dancing. If there weren't then why would anyone want to go to a concert that you have to sit in your seat and be quite as though you were at a movie theatre. This is the only thing that has annoyed me at Wilco shows-being afraid that someone is going to get mad at me for singing along with the band. People like to have fun at concerts and bands like to see their fans having fun. If you wanna stand in a group of limp dicks then go somewhere besides a concert.

stand up and dance at a classical concert then if that is the only way to enjoy live music.

talking about movie theatres a good analogy is that it is obviously ok to laugh out loud in a movie theatre - maybe even stand up and cheer at the end - but, if you're laughing and standing up and cheering at the end of Schindler's List then it's not really the done thing.

to me indie/soft rock/etc... music is sitting down and listening music - if i want to dance i'll go to a club where the people playing the music are kind enough to actually play something you can dance to. stick wilco on in a club (even one frequented by the types of people that might go and watch wilco) and see what happens.

>Anyone ever been at a show where there are a bunch of fuckheads talking about setlists? Don't get me wrong, I check setlists from time to time, and I'm glad people take the time to write them down, but I'm talking about people that have past setlists memorized and say shit like "man, they haven't played this since 9/17/06". Like it's cool that you took the time to memorize that. It always seems to me like they specifically remembered the last time a band played a certain song and then went to every show waiting for them to play it just so they could say that. fuckheads.

I completely disagree. That's information I'd like to know at a show and to hear from a true fan. I'd like to know if a song is a rarity or even if it hasn't been played in 4 or 5 years. When the Dead broke out St. Stephen in Hampton in 1989, the fans were ready to jump from the rafters because it hadn't been played in so many years. I'm fascinated by breakouts, first-time lives, and last-time playeds. Then there's this guy who keeps track of the last time Dylan played each song: http://boblast.blogspot.com/

In other words, anyone who's looking for a concert experience different from your own should stay home? Please.

A concert ticket is not a license to bug the fuck out of those around you. Have a good time, do what you want, but maintain some self-awareness and try not to make the event all about you. Have some basic respect for the people around you. If there's anyone who should stay home, it's the person who can't do that.

ahhh, the beauty of social norm creation. "I'm right, no you're wrong, no, yes, etc." It is really disappointing to see norms turn into rules at a rock show. I guess that is the evolution of norms. The older I get, the more rules are created. In the spirit of following the Beatles' influence Let it be. Or since the Beatles seem to annoy me lately, let's go w/ Rage's, "fuck you, I won't do what you tell me."

When the Dead broke out St. Stephen in Hampton in 1989, the fans were ready to jump from the rafters because it hadn't been played in so many years. I'm fascinated by breakouts, first-time lives, and last-time playeds. song:

Just to nitpick: The GD did not play "St. Stephen" at those Warlocks shows in '89. Sorry to douche up the thread even more....

The only times I can remember being annoyed at at show:

2 morons get in a fistfight and one of them is holding a beer that proceeds to splash all over a bunch of us.

Some guys (like 3) trying to Mosh at an Alice in Chains concert when not a single other person wanted to join in.

Other than that, sing, dance, talk about setlists, enjoy!

A concert ticket is not a license to bug the fuck out of those around you. Have a good time, do what you want, but maintain some self-awareness and try not to make the event all about you. Have some basic respect for the people around you. If there's anyone who should stay home, it's the person who can't do that.

Honestly, I consider this fair-minded thinking.

That said, I can forgive someone singing -- even a little off-key -- during a concert. What I can't abide by are people who are more caught up in their own (loud) conversation and oblivious to the concert that others paid good money to attend.

Not trying to be rude at all, but is there a question you're not asking that you hope one of us will answer by accident?

I would not shy from asking a specific question. So I guess the answer would be no?

Just wondering what some of you guys/gals answers would be. I would think the artists would love for the crowds to sing along. When its a band/artist that moves me I can't help but get into it enough to sing. I also can't help but look at people with sour faces and still bodies and think, "how boring."

I did go to some shows while out of town and was disappointed in the lack of crowd participation.

Ok, how do I always get stuck next to the "hippy dancy girl"

Anyway, most distracting, not the worst, just most distracting concert experience was watching a guy act out songs at a Lucinda Williams show in hand puppet fashion. Like if she sang the word butterfly, his hands did butterfly Napolean Dynamite style. I guess it was little loss since Lucinda live was like a deer in headlights. But that distracted me the entire night. I couldn't look away, and it made be feel funny on the inside. :ohwell

Anyway, most distracting, not the worst, just most distracting concert experience was watching a guy act out songs at a Lucinda Williams show in hand puppet fashion. Like if she sang the word butterfly, his hands did butterfly Napolean Dynamite style.

Is it possible that this gentleman was in an altered state? I believe that the counterculture youth call it 'tripping'.