I have had it up to here with Government shennanigans. I am trying to apply for a US passport and am sick and tired of Govt. websites and their jargon. It looks like I will have to apply in person at the embassy in Dublin and then there is the whole thing of why I joined the Defence Forces of a foreign nation and all that malarkey. I tried applying online and am stymied by the fact that I don't have a Social Security number....or if I do, I have no idea what it is. How can terrorists and the like get into the country and I am being assfucked at every turn? I think I will just move to Bulgaria. :realmad

Stupid bureaucratic bullshit. It isn't as though you are John Walker Lindh. It's Ireland, for Chrissakes! I'm sorry that you have to jump through hoops for the buggers.

I have had it up to here with Government shennanigans. I am trying to apply for a US passport and am sick and tired of Govt. websites and their jargon. It looks like I will have to apply in person at the embassy in Dublin and then there is the whole thing of why I joined the Defence Forces of a foreign nation and all that malarkey. I tried applying online and am stymied by the fact that I don't have a Social Security number....or if I do, I have no idea what it is. How can terrorists and the like get into the country and I am being assfucked at every turn? I think I will just move to Bulgaria. :realmad

I am confused. You don't have a social security number, you apparently live in Ireland, why do you need a US Passport. Hell I would question that.

And most terrorist don't get their passports legally. So yeah they probably would not get assfucked by the US government, and go through bureaucratic bs.

And dcarter's comment about the fact that you are not John Walker Lindh, that may be so, but the US government doesn't know that.

It sucks I know, but it is the world we live in, I personally would like to see it harder to get a US passport and gain entry into this country.

I am confused. You don't have a social security number, you apparently live in Ireland, why do you need a US Passport. Hell I would question that.

Apologies, I should have made it a bit clearer. I was just angry there. I was born in NYC and lived there till I was 13 or so. But with my parents now long gone and very little information to hand here it is a wee bit difficult. I have a US birth cert and am going through the hoops but it is just a pain in the ass.

Once you get this mess all sorted out would you like to stop over for a bevvie or two? :thumbup

Apologies, I should have made it a bit clearer. I was just angry there. I was born in NYC and lived there till I was 13 or so. But with my parents now long gone and very little information to hand here it is a wee bit difficult. I have a US birth cert and am going through the hoops but it is just a pain in the ass.

Have you tried the Social Security website to see what it would take to get a replacement card? That way you'd have your number. But it can be a pain in the ass too. But maybe in person they could look it up.

I wanted to take a cruise and needed a passport, but I gave up with the hassle...

... and all that malarkey...

... wee bit difficult ...

Well, using "malarkey" and "wee" will get you profiled for sure... no wonder you're getting nowhere. :lol

As for a replacement social security card, good luck with that. I had to do that for my daughter when we tried to get her driving permit, and it was a major hoop-jumping event even in person. I can't imaging doing that remote control far, far away.

Well, I am hoping to get the passport first here thru the US Embassy here and then apply for a new SS number and card. I have details on how to do that but as I mentioned it is a pain in the ass. It really is more for my kids who would like to go and maybe work in the US when they are done with college, which is soon. I would like them to be able to go under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000. Long process but hopefully it will be worthwhile.

And dcarter's comment about the fact that you are not John Walker Lindh, that may be so, but the US government doesn't know that.

What I meant by that was that Lindh joined the Taliban but Cal joined the Irish navy. Big difference! :lol

What I meant by that was that Lindh joined the Taliban but Cal joined the Irish navy. Big difference! :lol

The Taliban had better weapons in 1983.

Vibes, dude. I have to get a passport soon, and I am afraid the State Department will say, "Sorry, sir, you are just too much of a badass to be allowed to leave the country."

Vibes, dude. I have to get a passport soon, and I am afraid the State Department will say, "Sorry, sir, you are just too much of a badass to be allowed to leave the country."

Hell...if I got a passport, then I can't imagine why anybody would have trouble getting one.

Guest Speed Racer

If your children will be out of college soon, they may have already aged out of the Child Citizenship Act. I think the absolutely easiest option for you would be to consult an immigration attorney now to see if what you want to accomplish is actually feasible, before you spend an excessive amount of time jumping through all of the hoops to find that you can't get done what you want. A quick consulation won't be expensive at all, and is well worth the time it will save you. Familiarizing your children with their employment-based immigration options may not be a bad idea at this point, either.

If your children will be out of college soon, they may have already aged out of the Child Citizenship Act. I think the absolutely easiest option for you would be to consult an immigration attorney now to see if what you want to accomplish is actually feasible, before you spend an excessive amount of time jumping through all of the hoops to find that you can't get done what you want. A quick consulation won't be expensive at all, and is well worth the time it will save you. Familiarizing your children with their employment-based immigration options may not be a bad idea at this point, either.

Not a bad suggestion, thanks. They actually fit the criteria laid down by the act. The act has 4 or 5 major points and they qualify based on all those. The act was 8 years ago and they were 15 and 11 then so no problems there.

Guest Speed Racer

The American Immigrations Lawyers Assn. has a 'Find a Lawyer' link on their website. There are several folks actually in the UK, but most attorneys in the U.S. would be happy to do a phone consult. What you're asking about isn't something you need an attorney to do FOR you (because it really is stupid paperwork and waiting), but for someone decidedly a bit on the ex-pat side of things, running your game-plan past a pro is the best way to make sure it's only the government assfucking you, and not yourself and the government. :yes. I am NOT implying you're an idiot, but if you've lived in Ireland/served in their armed forces, that could look a little weird. Good luck!

• 3 months later...
Guest Speed Racer

Congrats! :yes

One of the most frustrating parts of the immigration process is when you have to explain to USCIS that your situation is completely legit. Stretching situations to fit the laws works perfectly, but convincing them that something lawful IS lawful is such a pain in the ass.

Update: As if anyone cared...

I finally got my passport, very attractive thing it is too, and my SS number. So now, I am one of youse bastards again.:lol

I did not envy you your predicament, and am glad to hear it has been resolved favorably. :cheers

I did not envy you your predicament, and am glad to hear it has been resolved favorably. :cheers

Favourably? Or will I now have to spell it "favorably" and use words like "faucet" for "tap" and "sidewalk" for "footpath"?:lol

Hey, it's America. You don't even have to speak English if you do not want to.