Jay Bennett R.I.P

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I get goose bumps every time I see that scene......great song .....should've been on YHF if at all at least "hidden'' on the end.     -Robert

This isn't in anyway a confirmation but as of 6:58 eastern his wikipedia page has news of his death: Jay Bennett.   --Mike

Does anyone know Basil II (Robert) well? He's a huge fan of JB, is there a fast way to contact him?   --Mike

Posted Images

Well this was not the sort of news I was expecting to read first thing this morning. To say I'm shocked, stunned, saddened and upset are words too mild for what I'm going through right now.

Jay was a musical hero of mine. At the time I met him he lived a very short distance from me and welcome me into his home after spending hours on the phone together for what was only supposed to be a 30 minute interview. He was an incredibly generous, positive and friendly person, one of the few I've had the pleasure encountering in my time writing about music.

I wish I had been able to reach him just once this past month. I will miss him terribly.

playing the entirely sublime 'east virginia blues' version that Jay played on w/ Roger McGuinn...couldn't find a youtube version.

it's such a cliche to say that people die too young, but i can't possibly see how this wouldn't apply...i hope his friends and family find solace in the impact his music made on so many people he never met.

The first time Wilco clicked for me was hearing those lead guitar lines on Summer Teeth (the song). Thanks for all of your contributions to the catalog and to making my life enjoyable, and on my darkest days livable. You'll never be forgotten

R.I.P., Jay

i slept so sad last night. cant even imagine how his family, friends, and biggest fans are doing. my heart goes out to you all.

Well, he was still there, hanging out at the bar, and when we told him we'd had to miss his show due to having gone to Mike Watt - whose music he told us he respected greatly - he took us backstage and played us a couple tunes.

that is one of the sweetest things ive ever heard. and very jay. im really hoping people will not only remember the side of jay that is now immortalized in IATTBYH (the movie), but this side as well.

isnt tonight the boys' first show since word got out about jay's passing? im really hoping we'll hear something from them tonight.

I understand what you're saying, but I am really hoping that they are able to deal with their grief in whatever ways works for each/all of them, be it publicly or privately.

Man, I'm just feeling all washed out with sadness.

I feel the same way :(

I can only imagine all the mixed feelings Jeff is having.

I really do wish it was possible for a bunch of us to get together and listen to some good music. I feel like being around other fans right now.

1. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Pump organs

Wurlitzers

A piano ("normal")

A "prepared piano" - many folks playing it together

Noiz section (including toy piano) - many folks making noiz together

Distorted synth

Manual re-amped drum effects

2. Kamera (writing credit: much of the music, no lyrics)

Electric guitars

Background vocals

Synths

Percussion

Mellotrons

3. Radio Cure (writing credit: much of the music, some lyrics)

Synths (fake organ/noiz/fake piano/whistle)

Electric guitar

Background vocals

Leslie banjo

Manually effected drum sounds

4. War on War (writing credit: some music, no lyrics)

Acoustic guitars

Wurlitzer

Omnichords

Background vocals

Synth

5. Jesus, etc. (writing credit: much of the music, some lyrics)

Wurlitzer

Background vocals

6. Ashes of American Flags (writing credit: much of the music, no lyrics)

Drums

Bass

Pianos

Synths (airy sounds/fake organ)

Acoustic guitars

Mellotron

Manual tape loop effects

"Artificially generated orchestra sounds" (too weird to explain)

7. Heavy Metal drummer

Hammond organ

Piano

8. I'm the Man Who Loves You (writing credit: some music, no lyrics)

Acoustic guitars

Acoustic slide

12-string guitars

Wurlitzer

Background vocals

Artificial kick drum

9. Pot Kettle Black (writing credit: some to much of music, no lyrics)

Wall of feedback

Electric guitars

Mellotrons

Synth

"B-Bender electric guitars"

Manual keyboard effects

10. Poor Places (writing credit: much of the music, no lyrics)

Noiz section (egg beater guitar/Morse code loop)

Wurlitzer

Acoustic guitars

Nylon string guitars

Piano loops

"Guitar hell " @ end of song

11. Reservations

Pianos (3+)

Pump organs

Electric tack pianos run through Roland synth trigger (bubbly sounds)

Mellotron (mock human voice - high "iiiiiiiiiiiiii" sounds)

this makes me happy.

I understand what you're saying, but I am really hoping that they are able to deal with their grief in whatever ways works for each/all of them, be it publicly or privately.

youre right... i guess it's a bit of a selfish wish for me because I would personally feel more comforted... but it's not being very considerate to their feelings. They will need WAY more time to process this.

It was a treat to watch him play the guitar with a burning cigarette dangling from between his fingers. Tough loss.

proof of what a badass he was. he will be much missed

I'm feeling like it's a case of no one knowing who should say it publicly first.

Wonder if Wilco will make any public statement? This has to be a difficult day for Jeff, John, LeRoy, Glenn, etc...

This is very sad news to hear. He was a very talented artist. For whatever the reasons that he couldn't remain with Wilco, the fact is that they were pretty special while he was there. SummerTeeth is THE most awesome album of the last 10 years and Jay is all over that record. I never really kept up with what he was doing post Wilco and in the back of my mind I always felt like I was missing something. I will certainly check that out and I feel more than a little ashamed that it took this to do it.

I was pretty frustrated with Jay when all the lawsuit stuff came up, but I think this really just highlights how desperate his situation was and how trivial all the drama was. This is really sad...