Jay Bennett R.I.P

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I get goose bumps every time I see that scene......great song .....should've been on YHF if at all at least "hidden'' on the end.     -Robert

This isn't in anyway a confirmation but as of 6:58 eastern his wikipedia page has news of his death: Jay Bennett.   --Mike

Does anyone know Basil II (Robert) well? He's a huge fan of JB, is there a fast way to contact him?   --Mike

Posted Images

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them. So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." J. Michael Straczynski

I suddenly feel so much less embarassed about owning all of his comic books. Truly brilliant words.

Listening to Bigger Than Blue now. "Cajun Angel" is a song I re-discovered earlier this year on a trip to the south. It's a beautiful tune. But then, Jay knew how to make any tune beautiful.

The adjectives don't quite work--who is the darker foil on Summerteeth, for instance?

if anything, Jay lightened up Summerteeth's darkness, so NYTimes' bit there isn't quite accurate. But hey - at least he's being discussed.

The adjectives don't quite work--who is the darker foil on Summerteeth, for instance?

Yeah, maybe that's backwards. You're right. It sounded nice though.

Really sad news. People die all the time who wasted their lives and made no sort of contribution to society or the arts, so when someone like Jay passes on who was so creative and had such a positive effect on people's lives, it just makes it all the more tragic.

if anything, Jay lightened up Summerteeth's darkness

That's how I've always looked at it. A prime example to me is "ELT" - some really horrifying dark lyrics surrounded by these beautiful, sunny, twangy guitars and an absolutely gorgeous synth melody.

I would think both Jeff and Jay shared a love of old bluegrass - think of those murder ballads and how the words would be juxtaposed with these pretty, instantly 'hummable' melodies.

Just got back from a weekend of moving stuff and read this thread. :ohwell

Jay's voice never did it for, but his ear for production, chord progressions, and interesting arrangements was absolutely superb. Many (if not most) of my favorite Wilco songs are from Jay's time in the band, and for as much as I love the new lineup Being There, Summerteeth, and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot were the Wilco albums that defined the band for me and still hold a very dear place in my heart. It's tragic that Jay died at his age, as I'm sure there was plenty of great music left in him and plenty of younger artists he could have helped to record, guide, and develop through his own studio. It's doubly tragic that his death had been preceded with pain (hip issues) and tumult (the lawsuit) but while he may be gone his work is still there, and in the end that's a pretty awesome legacy.

I'm in my classroom working on the holiday and a co-worker just walked in to ask me if I had heard this news. I am shocked. I was just listening to the Summerteeth Demos this morning. I echo those who have expressed condolences for his family and gratitude for his contributions to music.

In pace requiescat, Jay.

You know, in some future world, I kind of hoped if I ever got somewhere with whatever music I was doing I could get Jay Bennett to produce something of mine. But now that dream is gone, I guess. ohwell.gif

me too. i really wanted to meet him and talk music. maybe record at pieholden, haha.

I'd just like to add my shock and grief and express my sincere condolences to all the people Jay Bennett touched with his music. I'm so saddened by this news.

In Blackwater Woods

Look, the trees

are turning

their own bodies

into pillars

of light,

are giving off the rich

fragrance of cinnamon

and fulfillment,

the long tapers

of cattails

are bursting and floating away over

the blue shoulders

of the ponds,

and every pond,

no matter what its

name is, is

nameless now.

Every year

everything

I have ever learned

in my lifetime

leads back to this: the fires

and the black river of loss

whose other side

is salvation,

whose meaning

none of us will ever know.

To live in this world

you must be able

to do three things:

to love what is mortal;

to hold it

against your bones knowing

your own life depends on it;

and, when the time comes to let it go,

to let it go.

- Mary Oliver

Thanks, Been there many times but missed this one. Just downloaded it.......This is an absolutely great show.......Jay will be missed.

Woah, my brain cut out....that was not my first Wilco show, which was several years earlier, but still a great night.

It's such a shame that it takes a tragedy to get someone the attention they always deserved.