Jay Bennett R.I.P

One of my fondest memories of Jay was standing in the middle of the road in Arlington, VA at 1am in front of the IOTA club singing one of his songs through a traffic cone into a microphone with him. That was pretty cool. Great musician.

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I get goose bumps every time I see that scene......great song .....should've been on YHF if at all at least "hidden'' on the end.     -Robert

This isn't in anyway a confirmation but as of 6:58 eastern his wikipedia page has news of his death: Jay Bennett.   --Mike

Does anyone know Basil II (Robert) well? He's a huge fan of JB, is there a fast way to contact him?   --Mike

Posted Images

By request, I've been uploading on YouTube some clips of Steve Pride & his Blood Kin. For those that don't know, Jay was in the band in the early 90s and they made an appearance on Illinois public television. Played about a dozen songs and there's plenty of interview footage. I'll try to upload all of it in the next day or so.

Still stunned by this news after two days. I still want to believe it's not true.

I was telling my wife sometime last week, when discussing the new Wilco record, that although I love all incarnations of Wilco, something always seem to be missing since Jay has not been in the band. A few minutes later she told me that she agreed and that he helped add that extra something.

I saw Wilco during the BT-Mermaid-ST era numerous times in some really cool venues. This was a special time in my life and Wilco was a huge part of my life at that point. They seemed more like a true band at that time (more than a Jeff Tweedy vehicle). The collaboration between the guys then was undeniable.

I'm sure the reasons it all ended within the band were more than legitimate and those things happen and probably needed to happen. The only thing I wish was different was that Jay could see what he meant to this band and its fans. It is sad what had recently happened with lawsuits and bickering, and it's sad that some here never got to experience the Wilco with Jay.

All I know is that Jay brought out a whole other artistic side to Wilco. And the best musical compliment I could give to Jay is that the artistic direction always felt emotionally driven and not intellectually driven. If that makes any sense?

A sad day indeed.

Great post.

Though he hasn't been a part of the band for years, when I think of Wilco, I first think of Jeff and Jay. Jay gave the band a certain feel, musically and with his personality, that was just perfect when meshed with Jeff.

Does anyone have any good Jay or Jay and Ed live recordings they could post somewhere?

I have several partial Bennett and Burch shows, sadly the discs I had them on are not labeled (all that no writing on a cd with a sharpie hysteria) and after a hard drive crash, well... the guy who taped them all was David Sadowski and I haven't been in touch with him in a while.

I'll try and post some choice moments, but the thing with a B&B show was it was almost like a vaudeville act and you maybe had to be there. Long rambly 7 minute long versions of songs with covers tossed in the middle and two minutes of banter on either side and it really helped if you were trying to keep up with them on the drinks.

Guest Francis X. Hummel
edit: And I just watched the opening credits to IATTBYH as someone suggested earlier in the thread. Obviously, it falls into the category of weird coincidence, but at a time like this, it is certainly a profoundly weird coincidence. A burning sun, for sure. RIP, Jay.

can you explain?

can you explain?

I think they're talking about how all the band members' names appear in the credits and Jay's name is listed last and it appears to be glowing because the sun is behind it. So his name is glowing in the sky.

Guest Speed Racer
I think they're talking about how all the band members' names appear in the credits and Jay's name is listed last and it appears to be glowing because the sun is behind it. So his name is glowing in the sky.

You know, I had an awfulawfulawful last week, and I was totally going to sit down on Sunday and watch IATTBYH for some mega-schadenfreude. I was feeling pretty guilty about that after the news broke, obviously, but then I started listening to Summerteeth and YHF in honor of Jay and that made me feel better than the movie ever could have.

We are ridiculously lucky people to know of Jay's contributions to the world of music. He truly gave us a tremendous gift, and what he left in this world is going to help me out of awfulawfulawful weeks for years to come.

Thanks.

I found this video of Kingpin, as well as video of I Got You and Red Eyed from the same show. Anyone know what show these videos come from?

Kingpin

Red-Eyed

I Got You

A fitting tribute and a good remidner of just how out there Wilco was in the late 90's and just how important Jay was to the overall sound. Watching Bob Egan fall off the stage in I GOT YOU gave me the first laugh I've had in ages.

<!--quoteo(post=1335889:date=May 26 2009, 08:39 AM:name=jcroach)-->

QUOTE (jcroach @ May 26 2009, 08:39 AM)
<!--quotec-->Does anyone have any good Jay or Jay and Ed live recordings they could post somewhere?<!--QuoteEnd-->
<!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have several partial Bennett and Burch shows, sadly the discs I had them on are not labeled (all that no writing on a cd with a sharpie hysteria) and after a hard drive crash, well... the guy who taped them all was David Sadowski and I haven't been in touch with him in a while.

I'll try and post some choice moments, but the thing with a B&B show was it was almost like a vaudeville act and you maybe had to be there. Long rambly 7 minute long versions of songs with covers tossed in the middle and two minutes of banter on either side and it really helped if you were trying to keep up with them on the drinks.

Anyone know any live Jay and Ed? I would love to see some live solo Jay.

I FIND IT INCREDIBLY IRONIC THAT A WEEKS AGO ANY JAY BENNETT APPRECIATION WAS SCOLDED AND INSULTS AGAINST HIM WERE RAMPID DURING THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE TRAIL.

just listening to Wilco and Jay's music today - will probably listen to my taped interviews with Jay as well. I don't know when, but I suspect I'll make re-posting those interviews in full my next priority.

just listening to Wilco and Jay's music today - will probably listen to my taped interviews with Jay as well. I don't know when, but I suspect I'll make re-posting those interviews in full my next priority.

Please do, when you're ready. I'd love to hear these.