Jay Bennett R.I.P

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I get goose bumps every time I see that scene......great song .....should've been on YHF if at all at least "hidden'' on the end.     -Robert

This isn't in anyway a confirmation but as of 6:58 eastern his wikipedia page has news of his death: Jay Bennett.   --Mike

Does anyone know Basil II (Robert) well? He's a huge fan of JB, is there a fast way to contact him?   --Mike

Posted Images

Much Music Snow Job tour - Corner Brook Newfoundland Canada. Nor sure of the year. They looked like they were having so much fun!

Mar 18, 1997

It's on DVD Project Vol 2.

A venue is interested in doing something - I'm just not sure how to go about this right now. Seems to early to be pestering friends and fellow musicians into coming together for a show.

Chicago - yeah, don't want to say anything more than that without something in place.

Look - I'll be coming here to see if people can help. My goal would be to raise money for Sweet Relief or some sort of musician's fund or something. My hopes are big.

I FIND IT INCREDIBLY IRONIC THAT A WEEKS AGO ANY JAY BENNETT APPRECIATION WAS SCOLDED AND INSULTS AGAINST HIM WERE RAMPID DURING THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE TRAIL.

The situations are obviously different. Now is clearly not a time to pick on the guy's faults.

Chicago - yeah, don't want to say anything more than that without something in place.

Look - I'll be coming here to see if people can help. My goal would be to raise money for Sweet Relief or some sort of musician's fund or something. My hopes are big.

Yea, I figured, and I didn't expect the exact venue. I just was curious where it might be, but Chicago seems like an obvious place.

Not really anything we didn't already know, but I saw this on mtv.com:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1612131/20090526/wilco_1.jhtml

One of the comments at the end of the article about meeting Jay after a Wilco concert, seems to be typical of Jay from what I gather from those here who knew him and pretty touching as well.

This really is terrible news.

I don't like any Wilco releases since More Like the Moon EP, I really feel Jay was 1/2 the magic. I've always hoped they would get back together... I see Jay Bennett / Jeff Tweedy as I see Strummer / Jones or Lennon / McCartney.

Real Wilco is dead forever! The magic, the unique vocal melodies, the interesting song structures and instrumentation - it's never going to happen again.

This really is terrible news.

I don't like any Wilco releases since More Like the Moon EP, I really feel Jay was 1/2 the magic. I've always hoped they would get back together... I see Jay Bennett / Jeff Tweedy as I see Strummer / Jones or Lennon / McCartney.

Real Wilco is dead forever! The magic, the unique vocal melodies, the interesting song structures and instrumentation - it's never going to happen again.

Jay certainly contributed a lot to the band during his time, but "real Wilco" is never happening again? I think you're way off.

Jeff definitely didn't stop writing great songs when Jay left.

If you want to take that perspective, 'Real Uncle Tupelo' died before 'Real Wilco', as you define it, was born. Yeah, the past won't happen again. Bring on the future with respect to the past, I say. The future will hold some amazing new musical experiences, to be sure, but I'm sorry that Jay won't be contributing to them anymore, with any band, Wilco or not.

My fave Wilco footage ever.

mine too. It occurs to me the music that made me love Wilco comes from the Jay era.

• Like 1

It occurs to me the music that made me love Wilco comes from the Jay era.

Yeah, same here. Though I became a fan of the band in the spring of 2002 after he had just left, the first two Wilco albums I had and fell in love with were Foxtrot and Summerteeth. I am not interested in the trivialities of whether or not the band was better with or without him anymore, all I know is that he played a huge role on five (including the M.A's) of the most important albums to me as a listener.

--Mike

• Like 1

I got into Wilco because I was a fan of Uncle Tupelo at the end (discovered them too late to matter). I still love Wilco's output post Jay leaving. But I will say that the time he was in the band will most likely always be closest to my heart. I don't mean anything against Jeff or the other guys in the band since Jay left, it's just my opinion. It doesn't really matter - they've been my favorite band for pretty much the past 13 years regardless. But those 7 years that Jay was a member of Wilco will always mean an extraordinary amount to me.

I don't want to see this turn into a bickering of what version of the band was better. There's threads for that. Let's please continue to salute Jay for making great music and for being a good human being.

I got into Wilco because I was a fan of Uncle Tupelo at the end (discovered them too late to matter). I still love Wilco's output post Jay leaving. But I will say that the time he was in the band will most likely always be closest to my heart. I don't mean anything against Jeff or the other guys in the band since Jay left, it's just my opinion. It doesn't really matter - they've been my favorite band for pretty much the past 13 years regardless. But those 7 years that Jay was a member of Wilco will always mean an extraordinary amount to me.

I don't want to see this turn into a bickering of what version of the band was better. There's threads for that. Let's please continue to salute Jay for making great music and for being a good human being.

What he said.

• Like 1