Jay Bennett R.I.P

I remember the April 29, 2000 show in Oxford, Mississippi. We drove from Memphis. They did the beginning of "Won't Get Fooled Again". They did it twice with Jay and Jeff both trying out some Pete Townsend moves. They never did the whole song.

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I get goose bumps every time I see that scene......great song .....should've been on YHF if at all at least "hidden'' on the end.     -Robert

This isn't in anyway a confirmation but as of 6:58 eastern his wikipedia page has news of his death: Jay Bennett.   --Mike

Does anyone know Basil II (Robert) well? He's a huge fan of JB, is there a fast way to contact him?   --Mike

Posted Images

Does anyone have any good Jay or Jay and Ed live recordings they could post somewhere?

I have 11 shows that come from the period between Oct. 2001 and Dec. 2006. Some AUD some SBD, a lot from Chicago but about 1/2 from around the U.S. as Jay and Ed (and sometimes a full band) toured on "Palace at 4am". I don't have FLAC sets, so it will take me a little while to extract and upload. Each show is a wonderful event -- part music, part storytelling, part comedy, all fun. I even have an in-store which spans 2 CD's (imagine that, B&B are having so much fun they play 2 discs worth of music at an in-store).

Here's what I could find.

2001.10.23 - Hot House - Chicago, IL - AUD

2002.01.31 - Horseshoe Tavern - Toronto, ON - AUD

2002.02.02 - Mercury Lounge - NY, NY - AUD

2002.05.11 - In-Store (?) - AUD - 2 CDs

2002.05.16 - Turf Club - St. Paul, MN - SBD/AUD Matrix - 2 CDs

2002.05.23 - Tractor Tavern - Seattle, WA - AUD - 2 CDs

2002.05.25 - Cafe du Nord - SF, CA - SBD

2002.07.12 - Nevin's Live - Evanston, IL - AUD - 2 CDs

2002.08.14 - Tractor Tavern - Seattle, WA - SBD - 2 CDs

2002.08.27 - Mojo's - Columbia, MO - SBD

2002.12.06 - Nevin's Live - Evanston, IL - AUD - 2 CDs

I'll try to get one up in the next day or so.

We'll miss you Jay!

Try this...

Kingpin

Red-Eyed

I Got You

That's the ticket! Thank you.

How f'n sad! The way Jay and Jeff look at each other at some points in those videos (I Got You in particular) you can tell they know they had something special.

Thank You Jay

I even have an in-store which spans 2 CD's (imagine that, B&B are having so much fun they play 2 discs worth of music at an in-store).

It was at Laurie's Planet of Sound, the funnest record store in Chicago! My avatar is from that day. They only play actual songs for an hour. The "Banter" tracks are 1/2.

Share and Enjoy.

Sirius XM channel The Loft had a very nice tribute to him yesterday. They ran a hour long show from 6-7 in his honor. I was fortunate to be randomly listening and they played a great mix of his solo work and Wilco stuff along with some very very kind words about the man and musician he was.

From Jay's Newsletter this morning:

Subject: Jay Walter Bennett

Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 22:09:43 -0600

Our good friend Jay Walter Bennett left us this weekend. As news hits the wires so instantaneously these days, we thought it was important to share some thoughts about our friend and brother before any rumors got out of hand.

First, let it be known that Jay was in a really good place these past few years. He had returned to the area he loved--the

Guest Speed Racer

That was a very moving piece by Paul Cantin. Loved the story about the "wedding toppers."

Unrelated: Am I the only person in the world who made ZERO connection between Jeff puking and the mixing scene in IATTBYH? I never thought it was, "Jeff puked because Jay is a tool," I always just read it as, "Mixing's a bitch, and so am I!" Just a general bad-day-at-the-studio vibe and not a "this is what the relationship is doing to me!" thing.

That was a very moving piece by Paul Cantin. Loved the story about the "wedding toppers."

Unrelated: Am I the only person in the world who made ZERO connection between Jeff puking and the mixing scene in IATTBYH? I never thought it was, "Jeff puked because Jay is a tool," I always just read it as, "Mixing's a bitch, and so am I!" Just a general bad-day-at-the-studio vibe and not a "this is what the relationship is doing to me!" thing.

I'm with you speed, I never put the two together. I always just thought it was part of Jeff's anxieties and he did it often.