Jay Bennett R.I.P

On the subject of his cause of death, when a press release says, "... from complications due to surgery" and does not specify what kind of surgery, it was usually cosmetic.

I find it hard to believe that Jay, already struggling to pay for a much needed surgery, would get cosmetic surgery.

Especially considering he's a musician. Not a field where cosmetic surgery is necessary to stay around.

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I get goose bumps every time I see that scene......great song .....should've been on YHF if at all at least "hidden'' on the end.     -Robert

This isn't in anyway a confirmation but as of 6:58 eastern his wikipedia page has news of his death: Jay Bennett.   --Mike

Does anyone know Basil II (Robert) well? He's a huge fan of JB, is there a fast way to contact him?   --Mike

Posted Images

I find it hard to believe that Jay, already struggling to pay for a much needed surgery, would get cosmetic surgery.

Especially considering he's a musician. Not a field where cosmetic surgery is necessary to stay around.

It just seems like if it was something else, they'd be more specific and sanctimonious.

It just seems like if it was something else, they'd be more specific and sanctimonious.

Or maybe the exact cause of death hasn't been concluded yet? "Complications from surgery" is a pretty generic explanation in death stories.

I think the surgery complications thing could have been an assumption. But I remember someone saying he did have the hip surgery, so if it's complications from surgery...it would be from that.

I just don't see any reason whatsoever why Jay would have had cosmetic surgery recently.

Or maybe the exact cause of death hasn't been concluded yet? "Complications from surgery" is a pretty generic explanation in death stories.

I think the surgery complications thing could have been an assumption. But I remember someone saying he did have the hip surgery, so if it's complications from surgery...it would be from that.

I just don't see any reason whatsoever why Jay would have had cosmetic surgery recently.

Where has this complication from surgery line come from? I don't think there has been any cause given what so ever. From what I know he was gonna have surgery, and he did not obviously. All reports are he died peacefully at home, generally one does not die from complications from surgery at home.

Where has this complication from surgery line come from? I don't think there has been any cause given what so ever. From what I know he was gonna have surgery, and he did not obviously. All reports are he died peacefully at home, generally one does not die from complications from surgery at home.

I guess the complications thing may have been one of the early reports that was never confirmed.

I'm pretty certain I remember somebody saying he did have the hip operation, but I could be wrong. And I probably am.

Don't know how to search for specific link on the new board, not that I knew how to do it on the old. A friend passed this on to me and I hadn't seen it, thought some of you might appreciate it if it had not already been posted.

Will Johnson on Jay

Really nice.....thanks.

LouieB

Jay did not have the hip surgery or any other surgery.

So any speculation about complications from surgery are completely false.

The first person who posted in this thread said "supposedly OD"

Very disappointing to read this since there is no way possible this person had any factual info to make such a claim.

Please let the man rest in peace and show his family some respect by not spreading false info, rumors and speculation.

We all suffered a great loss. Let's leave it at that.

Thank you.

Bob Andrews / Undertow Music Collective

I will be the first to admit that it may be completely inappropriate to be interested in how/why Jay died. But there are a lot of people here who cared deeply about a lot of the things that Jay did in his life. And many of those folks are struggling with how/why someone as young as Jay could just pass away in his sleep. That doesn't mean that they have the right to an answer, but I can understand why folks are asking. Life doesn't make sense and that's hard to accept. An answer to the question will not make life easier to understand, but I know why people are asking. I don't think it shows disrespect to Jay or his memory, but maybe I am wrong. Some people (inappropriately?) feel as if a friend they never met passed away. I just can't get upset about people looking for answers.

This is, of course, completely different than people posting rumors or misinformation which is disgusting and offensive. Thanks Bob, for clearing up the misinformation.

I will be the first to admit that it may be completely inappropriate to be interested in how/why Jay died. But there are a lot of people here who cared deeply about a lot of the things that Jay did in his life. And many of those folks are struggling with how/why someone as young as Jay could just pass away in his sleep. That doesn't mean that they have the right to an answer, but I can understand why folks are asking. Life doesn't make sense and that's hard to accept. An answer to the question will not make life easier to understand, but I know why people are asking. I don't think it shows disrespect to Jay or his memory, but maybe I am wrong. Some people (inappropriately?) feel as if a friend they never met passed away. I just can't get upset about people looking for answers.

This is, of course, completely different than people posting rumors or misinformation which is disgusting and offensive. Thanks Bob, for clearing up the misinformation.

Nicely put. I'd like to think that I'm a fairly compassionate person and am certainly not snooping for some sordid tabloid story... just wondering how it could have happened to such a young guy. And the fact that he had shared many details about his personal health & insurance issues makes many of us (well, I can't speak for others - so me) wonder if his passing was somehow related.

just read this and didnt know if it should get it's own thread since not everyone has been checking into here. so sad.. my sister and i were just saying yesterday that we thought this might have been the cause because of jay's struggles with the hip pain. adding to the sadness is that jay was on the path to surgery and recovery.

RIP jay... miss you everytime i listen to being there, summerteeth, and YHF.

Guest Speed Racer

Before this discussion really takes off, I'm going to put it out there that about once or twice a year for as long as I've been aware, a celebrity dies of an accidental fentanyl overdose. Add the unreported instances in the general population, and I think it's fair to say we do not need to start ascribing any motives to Jay's cause of death.

We weren't there, we're not him, and what happened to him is terribly tragic, but not uncommon.

having discussed this with my ER physician father, there are some interesting things to note about fentanyl...the drug is prescribed in a time release form only, either in a patch or a lozenge...fentanyl is up to 100 times as potent as morphine...the likehood of accidental overdose is not high in patients who follow doctor's orders because of the method of delivery, but has happened a few cases...people that have died almost always have used the illegally made version (powder), or abused the patch...

pop says that prescribing fentanyl to someone with a past history of drug abuse is irresponsible unless constantly monitored, and it is not uncommon for such patients to either think they can handle mixing drug and/or alcohol with the script, or try to up a dosage, and that fentanyl skin patches should only be used by patients who were already taking other narcotic painkillers that didnt help ease pain....while there's no telling what really happened, there is something deeply saddening about where Jay was before he passed, let alone now...

yeah and it's been well documented the type of pain that jay was dealing with.. so im hoping we can all just continue to admire and mourn jay.. and leave it at that.

This whole situation really reminds me of how hard it is for musicians and other artists to get access to affordable health care. I worry a great deal about my musician friends who can't get insurance through an employer and can't afford to buy their own insurance plans. I've seen too many injuries and illnesses go untreated or get ignored until someone ends up at Cook County Hospital in the emergency room.

I also have a close friend who struggles with his pain killer dosage for the pain from coping with stage 4 sarcoma. The cancer is in his muscles, liver, lungs, spine and bones and is breaking his bones. He is in his 20s and did not have health insurance when he was diagnosed. With severe pain, you need to go to the hospital at times to get help managing the proper dosage. Without health insurance, you might be forced to try to cope on your own. My friend is lucky that he has friends who work in the medical field and in social services. They helped him find ways to get access to medical care despite lacking coverage. He was put into clinical trials at a university hospital and gets good care. Accessing that sort of care is more difficult for a heath problem such as an injury or chronic pain.

I guess my point is that this sort of sad situation is all too common due to the lack of access to affordable health care. Artists and young people often have no choice but to go without coverage and the results can be tragic.

Does anyone know of a good charity that helps provide musicians with access to affordable health care? Perhaps a donation to such a fund would be a good way to honor Jay.