Jay Bennett R.I.P

This is very true.

Jay had an amazing, amazing sound. I don't dislike anything he did in the studio with Wilco except My Darling. There's nothing I hate more in new Wilco than when current members try to pull off some of Jay's more amazing licks and sounds. I haven't heard Summerteeth live with the new band, but I don't have any interest in that - this guitar work was some of Jay's best, and his voice really came through on it.

It's interesting how My Darling is one of my favorite Wilco songs of all time, and so many people dislike it.. I wish I understood.. Great lyrics, melody, production.. I don't get it. :hmm

RIP Jay

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I get goose bumps every time I see that scene......great song .....should've been on YHF if at all at least "hidden'' on the end.     -Robert

This isn't in anyway a confirmation but as of 6:58 eastern his wikipedia page has news of his death: Jay Bennett.   --Mike

Does anyone know Basil II (Robert) well? He's a huge fan of JB, is there a fast way to contact him?   --Mike

Posted Images

Guest Speed Racer

Okay...I give on this one....MO and KS are midwest.

15 midwest shows and two Jeff solo shows in 1999-2000 for the same months, though Chicago got a lot more love back then. :lol

I think it's fair to say that if the Jay/Jeff/Wilco relationship hadn't soured, they still would have grown tremendously and moved tours away from Chicago as time passed. Few bands only aspire to play local crowds and tour sparingly, and Wilco has never been that band.

Great lyrics, melody, production..

Well, I disagree on all three counts, if that helps. :lol The production in particular - it sounds valium soaked and recorded underwater. I enjoy Jay's rendition solo in IATTBYH - what brief snippet we hear - but Jeff sounds like someone else completely on ST, I hate the "bah bah bah's", and it...just...drags...

It's interesting how My Darling is one of my favorite Wilco songs of all time, and so many people dislike it.. I wish I understood.. Great lyrics, melody, production.. I don't get it. :hmm

RIP Jay

I don't get it either, but I'm happy with not understanding. It might ruin it for me. Production, as with a lot on Summerteeth, might be questionable but melody and lyrics, I agree: great.

Well said, my friend.

The song that came on was nothingsevergonnastandinmyway (again). I know the current band kicks ass, but something about the wonderful little fills that come at the end of lines and between verses in a song like this (and the others on ST) are Jay's lasting influence on even this band (who has to try and reproduce those things). Sure, the band now has great musicians and a great live sound.

Meanwhile Wilco is now a big draw that travels the world to critical aclaim (and rarely even plays the midwest any more.) Jay's ongoing contribution can't be minimized by anyone. Both Mikael and Pat have become really fine keyboard players and Nels is of course an incredible guitarist. But Jay's sonic invention was amazing. His staying in the band wasn't to be, but everytime the songs are played from his era, Jay becomes part of the band again.

LouieB

The song that came on was nothingsevergonnastandinmyway (again). I know the current band kicks ass, but something about the wonderful little fills that come at the end of lines and between verses in a song like this (and the others on ST) are Jay's lasting influence on even this band (who has to try and reproduce those things). Sure, the band now has great musicians and a great live sound.

Meanwhile Wilco is now a big draw that travels the world to critical aclaim (and rarely even plays the midwest any more.) Jay's ongoing contribution can't be minimized by anyone. Both Mikael and Pat have become really fine keyboard players and Nels is of course an incredible guitarist. But Jay's sonic invention was amazing. His staying in the band wasn't to be, but everytime the songs are played from his era, Jay becomes part of the band again.

LouieB

Very nice.

Being There, Mermaid Ave., Summerteeth, YHF, the songs Cars Can't Escape, Shakin Sugar, Venus Stop the Train, Magazine Called Sunset, the gorgeous Instrumental on the YHF demos, Not For The Season...

To me, that stretch of Wilco was just MAGICAL. I happen to think Jay was a big reason the band was SO great for so long. I don't think the Mermaid songs would be half as good without Jay's contribution. Many regard YHF as Wilco's pinnacle. I wonder how that record might have sounded without Jay trying to wring every sound possible out of the studio. How much contribution did Jay make to the sound of Being There?

Lots of these things we'll probably never know, because it's mostly subjective and/or people's opinions. Maybe just Jay's presence pushed Jeff to explore different ways of making music.

Wilco's made good music without Jay...most noticeably AGIB...but there's something missing since Jay left...a warmth and sense of fun in the music sounds perhaps. I can't put my finger on it.

I'm looking forward to hearing Jay's final album in July. His last album, the acoustic "Whatever Happened, I Apologize", is bare and dark, but well worth a few listens.

Very nice.

Being There, Mermaid Ave., Summerteeth, YHF, the songs Cars Can't Escape, Shakin Sugar, Venus Stop the Train, Magazine Called Sunset, the gorgeous Instrumental on the YHF demos, Not For The Season...

To me, that stretch of Wilco was just MAGICAL. I happen to think Jay was a big reason the band was SO great for so long. I don't think the Mermaid songs would be half as good without Jay's contribution. Many regard YHF as Wilco's pinnacle. I wonder how that record might have sounded without Jay trying to wring every sound possible out of the studio. How much contribution did Jay make to the sound of Being There?

Lots of these things we'll probably never know, because it's mostly subjective and/or people's opinions. Maybe just Jay's presence pushed Jeff to explore different ways of making music.

Wilco's made good music without Jay...most noticeably AGIB...but there's something missing since Jay left...a warmth and sense of fun in the music sounds perhaps. I can't put my finger on it.

I'm looking forward to hearing Jay's final album in July. His last album, the acoustic "Whatever Happened, I Apologize", is bare and dark, but well worth a few listens.

*If I recall correctly (from Kot's book), Jay brought a lot of the new ideas for sounds into the Being There sessions. The band, having just discovered that Bennett could play keyboards, was very open to his ideas for piano, keys, organs, etc. being incorporated into the tunes. I think he also had a lot to do with the harmony/background vocal arrangements as well the horn arrangements.

*I think Jay was one of those people who had a tremendous influence on the people he collaborated with, and was able to push people to new creative heights. He was a wonderful tinkerer and had a knack for embellishing and enhancing others' work. Yet his own work (solo), in my opinion, didn't hold a candle to what he accomplished by working with others.

*I often wonder what "post-Bennett" recordings would sound like if he were playing on them. Or what Wilco would have been like if Brian Henneman had accepted the job as permanent lead guitarist. Or if John Stiratt had gotten more songs on the records early on...

Guest Speed Racer

Yet his own work (solo), in my opinion, didn't hold a candle to what he accomplished by working with others.

I completely agree. I feel the same way about John/Autumn Defense; I just don't think either have a strong enough voice to be a good lead presence. And Jay worked best with just a little bit (or a lot, in some cases) of resistence against his ideas - something to reign him in. His solo versions of recorded Wilco tunes are crushed by 27 extra tracks of musical and sonic "enhancements," in my opinion.

*I often wonder what "post-Bennett" recordings would sound like if he were playing on them.

The man mastered many different sounds, but he never made much use of silence. To me, one of AGIB's primary strengths is its use of silence (ALTWYS, Hell is Chrome, LTYT - heck, all of them).

• 1 year later...

It's been 10 years since I last saw Bennett play. Damn shame.

:( I never got the chance to see him live but do miss the conversations we shared toward the end of his life. He was such an enthusiastic guy who had so much left that he wanted to do. We discussed how cool a book of his artwork would be (especially with a CD of tunes one could listen to while looking at the art) but of course that won't happen now. I have been enamored with his solo work since '04 but cannot listen to it now. I usually don't struggle with death all that much but Jay was definitely not ready to go yet. Look at his output towards the end. He was working on Kicking at the Perfumed Air when he decided to write and record Whatever Happened I Apologize and those 2 records could easily be the best of his career. All we can do now is look back and enjoy what he left us. There will never be another Jay Bennett.

• 1 year later...

Just re-watched "I am trying to break you heart"  

Man I miss Jay.

I miss Jay too. Got to see him play with the band 3-4 times. I do find it interesting that that movie makes you miss him though. Didn't think he was presented in the best light.

Wish I had been able to see him play with Wilco (I became a fan of the band long after he had departed the lineup). Even though IATTBYH essentially villainized him, I think it's still possible to watch that film and see glimpses of what he was truly like. I love the rendition of "Cars Can't Escape" with Jay on piano and Jeff singing that was captured in that film—still sends shivers down my spine.

Since moving to Chicago a few years back, I've had the privilege of spending some time in the Pieholden Suite Sound studios, sometimes in front of that very same piano that Jay played. Jay's old friend Matt Dewine runs the place now and the studio is chock full of gear that he amassed during his time in Wilco (a great deal of the stuff that was in the loft when the band recorded YHF actually belonged to Jay). Any musician who is also a Wilco fan should check it out next time they're thinking about recording: http://www.pieholdensuitesound.com/

Seeing the movie usually makes me think not such nice thoughts about Bennett.  I really wish I'd seen the band while he was in it.  I love his guitar work and his contributions to the band are beyond question, but he truly annoys me during that whole mixing board scene.   I haven't watched it since he died, so those thought might be tempered out of respect for the dead.

Got to see him in 97 or 98.  Was a delight indeed.. He really did steal the show. 

I agree..saw the band with Jay 2 times...saw Jay solo once...he was such a nice dude...talked with him 2 of the 3 shows I saw. I really liked what he added to the live show..

Here is a little nice thought about Jay...I was attempting to get my being There cd signed by the whole band...he said who are you missing...I told him and he and Bob Egan got it signed for me by everyone who didn't sign! :guitar

I've always said it's difficult to have two musical genius's in one band (for which Jeff and Jay certainly are/were).  There are exceptions of course (Lennon McCartney), but I think most of the time, an artist has a certain vision and there is little, if any, wiggle room for that vision. 

I've always said it's difficult to have two musical genius's in one band (for which Jeff and Jay certainly are/were).  There are exceptions of course (Lennon McCartney), but I think most of the time, an artist has a certain vision and there is little, if any, wiggle room for that vision. 

Lennon/ McCartney did not work together creating new music for that long if you look at their discography: 1963-1969. Tweedy/Bennett were 1994-2001. Pretty similar length before it stopped working.

Jay was so much fun to watch in concert - riveting, really. I watched him more than anyone else when he was in the band. I think that this is the reason why my least favorite Wilco show that I attended was the first one I saw after he left. There was a void for me. It took me a few shows to get over his departure.

For me, the great thing about Wilco being so open to audio recordings is that JB is gone but not forgotten.  A lot of the guitar solos, the stupid things he would say, the "Corky Sunflowers" will live on in those recordings.  A friend of mine introduced Wilco to a friend and he just couldn't get behind Nels.  When she played him a shows form the 90's, he immediately knew that JB was a guitarist he could like.  I think that Nels does some amazing things for the band, but I miss the era of 20 different versions of Passenger Side.  I just don't think that Nels has that in him, no offense.  He brings something different to the band, but I definitely have a preference for what JB brought.