Jay Bennett R.I.P

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I get goose bumps every time I see that scene......great song .....should've been on YHF if at all at least "hidden'' on the end.     -Robert

This isn't in anyway a confirmation but as of 6:58 eastern his wikipedia page has news of his death: Jay Bennett.   --Mike

Does anyone know Basil II (Robert) well? He's a huge fan of JB, is there a fast way to contact him?   --Mike

Posted Images

Man. Gone too soon. Condolences to his loved ones.

ditto...

while i've enjoyed their post-YHF output plenty, it's no question for me that my favorite period of Wilco was Being There through YHF, and it's no question how big of role he played during that time.

he was def the McCartney to Jeff's 'Lennon', no question

Couldn't agree more. Regardless of how feel about the split, Jay was a big part of the growth of Wilco from AM to YHF.

He will be missed. Rest in peace indeed.

Couldn't agree more. Regardless of how feel about the split, Jay was a big part of the growth of Wilco from AM to YHF.

He will be missed. Rest in peace indeed.

oh totally...

AM was a fine album when it came out in '94, no question, but Trace kicked it's ass around the block 20x.

it wasn't until Being There did I really take notice of Wilco and find them to be up there with Uncle Tupelo. and of course everything that came after BT...

There will be a midnight screening of 8/16/99 here at the MB Compound. A wake, of sorts.

Wish you folks could stop by. :cheekkiss

That was great solace.

Jay is the first musician that I have really really admired that has passed away, in a cliched sense I feel at loss for words.

Listening to Summerteeth now, this is Jay's album.

I just watched the "Poor Places" chapter from I Am Trying to Break Your Heart.

Fucking amazing.

What a heartbreak.

That was great solace.

Jay is the first musician that I have really really admired that has passed away, in a cliched sense I feel at loss for words.

Listening to Summerteeth now, this is Jay's album.

Same. Lennon, Drake, etc were never on this earth when I was. Harrison and Garcia died before I ever knew who they really were. The first time I heard Elliott Smith was the day he died...

I always felt that Jay Bennett got a bad rap. It just seemed like he had problems expressing himself to his band members, at least in the I Am Trying To Break Your Heart documentary. Band mates are going to argue, being around someone so much, working with them, essentially living with them... it's just human nature. I didn't know Jay, I never met him, but I could tell he was a good man and a true talent. For a lot of years he was an essential part to my favorite band... we all have a lot to thank him for.

RIP Jay

Any live Wilco shows to recommend back in the days with Jay Bennett? I've never really given some of their vintage stuff much thought but I feel the need to listen to the old records just to memorialize a guy who played such a huge role in how Wilco evolved.

Sad sad news indeed. Like what's been said here already, he might not come off as the greatest character guy but he certainly was a very talented person. The band wouldn't have been the same without him.

There will be a midnight screening of 8/16/99 here at the MB Compound. A wake, of sorts.

Wish I could be there.

I saw them a week after that show. It was an early wedding gift from my husband. Been thinking about that show a lot tonight.

Great plan. I've got the July 4, 2001 show on now. I'll be pulling out my April 20, 1999 JHamm DVD soon as well.

--Mike