• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started with Real Gone; probably not the best one to start with. I've heard Mule Variations or Rain Dogs is the place to start. I am particular to Orphans though.   (how's that for a convoluted ans

1973 Closing Time 1974 The Heart of Saturday Night 1975 Nighthawks at the Diner (Recorded live in the studio over two nights for small audiences) 1976 Small Change 1977 Foreign Affairs 1978 Blu

Closing Time is absolutely my favorite Waits album.

What is the best album or best place to start?

I started with Real Gone; probably not the best one to start with. I've heard Mule Variations or Rain Dogs is the place to start. I am particular to Orphans though.

(how's that for a convoluted answer)

• Like 2

There's kind of two Tom Waits though. Before Swordfishtombones and after. I'd start with that or Rain Dogs. The before stuff is more jazzy singer piano stuff. Great stuff. The Heart of Saturday Night or Heart Attack and Vine maybe for that era.

• Like 1

Being an enormous Waits fan, I think you can pretty much pick his career up anywhere and find something worthwhile.

But if it means anything, this is the order in which I bought his albums:

The Heart of Saturday Night

Blue Valentines

Small Change

Mule Variations

Rain Dogs

Real Gone

Frank

• Like 1

I started with "Raindogs" and "Frank's Wild Years". You really can't go wrong with "Raindogs." As dondoboy alluded to, there are distinct phases of Waits' material. If you're hooked, you're hooked & you'll end up buying it all anyway. Yes, even "Foreign Affairs." As for my favorite, it's probably "Swordfishtrombones."

If you're hesitant to fixate on just a single album, start with "Beautiful Maladies". It's a best-of of sorts. That is one that I don't own, actually, since I have all the releases.

• Like 1

1973 Closing Time

1974 The Heart of Saturday Night

1975 Nighthawks at the Diner (Recorded live in the studio over two nights for small audiences)

1976 Small Change

1977 Foreign Affairs

1978 Blue Valentine

1980 Heartattack and Vine

1982 One from the Heart (With Crystal Gayle; soundtrack for the Francis Ford Coppola film The soundtrack was nominated for an Academy Award for Original Music Score)

1983 Swordfishtrombones

1985 Rain Dogs

1987 Franks Wild Years (Collaboration with Beno

• Like 2

Bone Machine was where I started in the mid-90s. Not sure if that's the place to start, or if there even IS one for Waits. He has very distinct styles and periods. You may or may not like them all, but (as mentioned above) if you do get hooked you'll probably end up checking them all out, anyway.

Come to think of it, Nighthawks at the Diner is one that got me really hooked in the beginning because I liked the live and "conversational" feel of it. I found it refreshing after trying to make sense of some of his later records and I felt like it gave me a little more of a window into what this dude is going on about and made those other records go down smoother. He's a strange cat. Enjoy.

• Like 1

Excellent suggestion!

:headphone emoticon

Well my time went so quickly, I went lickety-splickly out to my old '55

As I drove away slowly, feeling so holy, God knows, I was feeling alive.

Now the sun's coming up, I'm riding with Lady Luck, freeway cars and trucks,

Stars beginning to fade, and I lead the parade

Just a-wishing I'd stayed a little longer,

Oh, Lord, let me tell you that the feeling's getting stronger.

And it's six in the morning, gave me no warning; I had to be on my way.

Well there's trucks all a-passing me, and the lights are all flashing,

I'm on my way home from your place.

And now the sun's coming up, I'm riding with Lady Luck, freeway cars and trucks,

Stars beginning to fade, and I lead the parade

Just a-wishing I'd stayed a little longer,

Oh, Lord, let me tell you that the feeling's getting stronger.

And my time went so quickly, I went lickety-splickly out to my old '55

As I pulled away slowly, feeling so holy, God knows, I was feeling alive.

Now the sun's coming up, I'm riding with Lady Luck,

Freeway cars and trucks, freeway cars and trucks, freeway cars and trucks...

Wikipedia link

1973 Closing Time (the only one I ever bought)

1974 The Heart of Saturday Night

1975 Nighthawks at the Diner

1976 Small Change

1977 Foreign Affairs

1978 Blue Valentine

1980 Heartattack and Vine

1982 One from the Heart

1983 Swordfishtrombones

1985 Rain Dogs

1987 Franks Wild Years

1988 Big Time

1992 Night on Earth

1992 Bone Machine

1993 The Black Rider

1999 Mule Variations

2002 Blood Money

2002 Alice

2004 Real Gone

2006 Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards

Compilations

Bounced Checks (Asylum, 1981)

Anthology of Tom Waits (Asylum, 1984)

Asylum Years (Asylum, 1986)

The Early Years, Volume One (Bizarre, 1991)

The Early Years, Volume Two (Bizarre, 1993)

Beautiful Maladies - The Island Years (Island, 1998)

Used Songs 1973-1980 (Rhino, 2001)

MC - I did not notice your list up there - sorry.

Edited by Analogman
Guest Hollinger.

If you're just now trying to get into him, I'd recommend Small Change and Closing Time to start with. It's alllll worth getting though.

There used to be a great compilation of the Asylum stuff available, I would recommend that first and both Bone Music and Mule Variations are good examples of later Waits. For folks who have never heard the early years, those are both fine CDs.

LouieB

i def think it's easier to start early and work your way forward. Small Change, Nighthawks (great live Tom),then onto Swordfish and Rain Dogs. I'm a huge fan of Foreign Affairs - It's like a great LA film noir. Burma Shave is an incredible song, as is Jack and Neal, Potter's Field, and his duet w/ Bette Midler I Never Talk to Strangers.

I actually didn't get into anything later than Rain Dogs until I heard some of the songs live. I you come across Tom's appearance on Austin City Limits in 99 grab it.

i def think it's easier to start early and work your way forward. Small Change, Nighthawks (great live Tom),then onto Swordfish and Rain Dogs. I'm a huge fan of Foreign Affairs - It's like a great LA film noir. Burma Shave is an incredible song, as is Jack and Neal, Potter's Field, and his duet w/ Bette Midler I Never Talk to Strangers.

I actually didn't get into anything later than Rain Dogs until I heard some of the songs live. I you come across Tom's appearance on Austin City Limits in 99 grab it.

Tom wasn't on ACL in 1999. His show aired in 1978. Though, he was on VH1 Storytellers in 1999. Don't know if that's what you meant.

"Burma Shave" didn't really come alive for me until I saw his Austin City Limits performance from 1978. And "Jack and Neal/California Here I Come" is quite possibly the best road trip song, ever. I think FA was one of the last of the back catalog that I picked up... and although I don't often reach for it, it still has some nuggets.

I feel like we've probably overwhelmed the young chap that started this thread. :o

Tom wasn't on ACL in 1999. His show aired in 1978. Though, he was on VH1 Storytellers in 1999. Don't know if that's what you meant.

Thought it was ACL, but it was just Austin. 4/20/99 @ the Paramount Theatre Wolf Remaster vol 8

his storytellers is a definite download imo. i could listen to him talk for hours. i've only seen that ACL performance once (about 5 years ago). never been able to track it down since.

I have the audio recording, but i've never seen the video. A friend saw him on the Small Change tour and said it was a great theatrical performance. I'll have to track that Storyteller performance down.