Wilco (The Album)...When Jeff Found the power of bVI

Quick head count:

Wilco (The Song), Deeper Down, Solitaire, and Everlasting all use bVI (flat six) chords. I think someone found a new love.

• Like 2

The chorus of Everlasting. It starts in this sort of major key progression (I III- Vi- ii...etc) and then goes to Bb major chord, which resolves to D through C= bVI bVII I (flat six, flat seven, one).

In Wilco (the song) when he sings "is someone twisting a knife in your back" it's Bb to D (bVI to I)...

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Honestly man I couldn't follow your explanation, partly because you didn't mention the initial key in your example. The other part, well that's just my natural thick-headedness.

If my math is correct, then the bVI --> bVII --> I progression for the key of C would be, A-flat --> B-flat --> C

In the key of G, it would be E-flat --> F --> G

weird shit, dude. The only key I could imagine playing this with open positions is probably D.

• 2 weeks later...

Good catch, but I don't think it's THAT new of a trick for Jeff (though it is unusual that there are so many on this album). Just off the top of my head:

I Got You

Say You Miss Me

Poor Places

We're Just Friends

Someday Soon

Hummingbird

Either Way

All contain the bVI. It's a pretty poppy move. Therefore, I like it.