Another reason for the outages...

yeah... this load appears to be too much for the server to be even remotely useful

i really don't know what to do at this point, it's not far to the other sites on the server to be down as a result of Via...

edit: experimenting with tweaking MySQL... this is a trial & error process unfortunately, so bear with me

it may come down to that to get any actual work done without having the server completely unusable... for now i'm going to just disable a lot of the more CPU intensive features of the site, so that i can stay sane.

i'm gone in Chicago all weekend too, so won't really have any time if stuff goes down.

Guest Jules

it may come down to that to get any actual work done without having the server completely unusable... for now i'm going to just disable a lot of the more CPU intensive features of the site, so that i can stay sane.

I assume this includes the profile pages? Fine with me, although I would like to get my avatar back to the bad ass motherfucker it should be.

i'm gone in Chicago all weekend too, so won't really have any time if stuff goes down.

If it goes down for long, serious shit will commence. People's lives are dependent on this thing, man.

If it goes down for long, serious shit will commence. People's lives are dependent on this thing, man.

then they should cough up the dough so i don't have to cover the monthly costs on my own often ;)

Guest Jules

then they should cough up the dough so i don't have to cover the monthly costs on my own often wink.gif

Solace, on that note, there was discussion here about setting up some kind of donation system to take care of this, but nothing ever came of it. I know the t-shirt fundraising thing is in process, but I bet you would get some decent cash if you had some easy way to do it.

If this already exists, please disregard and give me instructions on how to donate to the cause.

Solace, on that note, there was discussion here about setting up some kind of donation system to take care of this, but nothing ever came of it. I know the t-shirt fundraising thing is in process, but I bet you would get some decent cash if you had some easy way to do it.

If this already exists, please disregard and give me instructions on how to donate to the cause.

yeah, maudie and the other admins are working on this as i type this, i was just being snarky ;)

i've come up with a couple good Dedicated server options which Via's cost would only be about $45-55 a month (it's much cheaper if i buy a server for a 2 year contract)

i was thinking of maybe just setting up a totally separate PayPal account for it... as you can actually pay for your hosting with Godaddy directly from PayPal.

then i could just post the logs publicly at the end of each month/quarter/year or whatever, so people can all see the money that is incoming and outgoing? (i'm all for transparency)

i've used PayPal a lot in the past, but i'm curious if there is a way these days to avoid all of their fees? i know there used to be, but then my old account got "upgraded" to where they now take a decent % out on each transaction.

the new server i've configured has more than double the CPU (it's a 2.5ghz quad core) and double the RAM (4gb vs. 2gb), which i think we'd be able to utilize quite well (moving from 1gb to 2gb last year was a godsend)

looks like if you keep it a personal account it costs more to do credit card transactions, so probably not worth it i suppose.

i have absolutely no knowledge of this, but facebook has a cause feature that allows users to make donations to things.

i've seen something like that, i'll investigate thanks!

i was thinking of maybe just setting up a totally separate PayPal account for it... as you can actually pay for your hosting with Godaddy directly from PayPal.

then i could just post the logs publicly at the end of each month/quarter/year or whatever, so people can all see the money that is incoming and outgoing? (i'm all for transparency)

i've used PayPal a lot in the past, but i'm curious if there is a way these days to avoid all of their fees? i know there used to be, but then my old account got "upgraded" to where they now take a decent % out on each transaction.

the new server i've configured has more than double the CPU (it's a 2.5ghz quad core) and double the RAM (4gb vs. 2gb), which i think we'd be able to utilize quite well (moving from 1gb to 2gb last year was a godsend)

Is that what we did a few years ago?

Is that what we did a few years ago?

similiar... it was tied in with IPB's old subscription feature, which turned out to be a huge pain when subscriptions expired, etc.

Count me in for fundage when y'all settle on a way to collect it.

same here.

I think I mailed cash to someone in Texas.

Well, that certainly sounds shady. :P

What I did on the PayPal thing for the Natalie donations was I have two accounts set up. Anyone who pays directly from a bank account pays into the account with no fees; the other account charges fees, but it can accept payments from credit cards. It's a little bit more hassle to keep up with the two accounts, but it does save a few bucks, which are obviously better served going to the cause than to PayPal.

Yeah, I've been busier at work than I want to be lately, so I'm lagging on getting the rest of the fundraising stuff going, but I swear, it's going to happen. And when it does, it will include a fancy-shmancy "click here to donate" button, designed by the talented Mrs. Peel.

Kyle, I'm going to go talk to you in that other place. (NAPE)

Well, that certainly sounds shady. :P

What I did on the PayPal thing for the Natalie donations was I have two accounts set up. Anyone who pays directly from a bank account pays into the account with no fees; the other account charges fees, but it can accept payments from credit cards. It's a little bit more hassle to keep up with the two accounts, but it does save a few bucks, which are obviously better served going to the cause than to PayPal.

Yeah, I've been busier at work than I want to be lately, so I'm lagging on getting the rest of the fundraising stuff going, but I swear, it's going to happen. And when it does, it will include a fancy-shmancy "click here to donate" button, designed by the talented Mrs. Peel.

Kyle, I'm going to go talk to you in that other place. (NAPE)

It was sent to Narziss (I think that is correct). I figured there would be a Paypal button eventually.

I'd be willing to contribute,too. Honestly, I've always been surprised that the board has been completely free. Maybe if it wasn't it would keep some of the clowns away.

There use to be a pay option. And there was also a time we had ads here.