Now Playing: June 2009

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm kind of surprised that Dirty Projectors are new to so many people (not saying they are to you, just in my general experience on other forums)

i knew they weren't huge or anything, but have read about them a lot the past 5-6 years.

it probably is their best all around record though, or very close anyway.

if the whole album was as stunning as the first 2 songs, it might be my favorite record this year (i know a lot of people think Stillness is the best song tho, but i prefer David singing lead moreso w/ the girls backing)

Good to see another SFA fan on this board. Those guys never cease to blow my mind. DD/LY is easily my top album this year. I've listened to it almost 70 times, beginning to end, and it sounds fresh every time. Amazing, amazing album.

Although it's not the best album of the year so far, Dark Days/Light Years is definitely in my running for top 10 albums of the year. I have always fallen easy prey to psychedelia, especially SFA.

SonicYouthTheEternal.jpg

the-ecstatic.jpg

Sleep_Sun_Embrace.jpg

AAAADPMcQQ8AAAAAAEzEdQ.jpg

This is more of a 'Was Playing' than a 'Now Playing' as I've just been through these in a long journey. I will say that the Mos Def album was/is a lot of fun and is a really enjoyable album, it's not as immediate as Black On Both Sides, but certainly could be seen as a companion piece, it's along similar lines albeit newer and fresher.

However, one of the other two albums I ejected part way through track three. Was not really enjoying it. Here's a clue: it wasn't the Sleepy Sun album.

61YKc7hYs%2BL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51RE5JM9D2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

41ICOvr1oAL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51R0CVKVAHL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The Strokes - Is This It?

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

The Exploding Hearts - Guitar Romantic

SFA fans? I knew I'd like it in here :)

Still to invest in the new one though. Guerilla still does it for me everytime!

PS - New to this here board, I will search for meself when time allows but if there's a shortcut 'how to' version, can anyone tell me how to copy a message (EG - the SFA one) into a reply?

SFA fans? I knew I'd like it in here :)

Still to invest in the new one though. Guerilla still does it for me everytime!

PS - New to this here board, I will search for meself when time allows but if there's a shortcut 'how to' version, can anyone tell me how to copy a message (EG - the SFA one) into a reply?

Use the "Reply" button at the lower right of the window containing the post that you wish to quote.

Oh, and welcome!

Use the "Reply" button at the lower right of the window containing the post that you wish to quote.

Oh, and welcome!

I see...was looking for that but this bleedin pc don't seem to like it! Still, hovered around there a bit and found the right place to click. Now the bloody thing just needs to let me upload pics!

For the record, it was Josh Ritter Animal Years, now it new Felice Brothers

i'm kind of surprised that Dirty Projectors are new to so many people (not saying they are to you, just in my general experience on other forums)

i knew they weren't huge or anything, but have read about them a lot the past 5-6 years.

it probably is their best all around record though, or very close anyway.

if the whole album was as stunning as the first 2 songs, it might be my favorite record this year (i know a lot of people think Stillness is the best song tho, but i prefer David singing lead moreso w/ the girls backing)

It shouldn't be too surprising that they are not getting some attention. With a stellar pitchfork review, ABC coverage and the massive stroking it has gotten around here, it's should be no surprise that more attention is being paid to these guys. I never gave them a look until I saw the ABC report and all the hype around here.

My opinion, so far it's nothing spectacular. I've listened to it twice and I'm kinda "meh" feeling on the whole album. Of course I'll have to give it some more time...

NP:31D8HG4JZ3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

It shouldn't be too surprising that they are not getting some attention. With a stellar pitchfork review, ABC coverage and the massive stroking it has gotten around here, it's should be no surprise that more attention is being paid to these guys. I never gave them a look until I saw the ABC report and all the hype around here.

My opinion, so far it's nothing spectacular. I've listened to it twice and I'm kinda "meh" feeling on the whole album. Of course I'll have to give it some more time...

guess i haven't seen the ABC coverage thing (is that just the Pitchfork/ABC News web special type deal that Bon Iver was on a year or so ago?). I just meant that David Longstreth/Dirty Projectors have always gotten pretty great reviews and critical acclaim from the stuff i've read/seen in the past.

and if you look, every past Dirty Projectors album minus one EP has gotten between 8.1-8.5 on Pitchfork too:

http://pitchfork.com...rty-projectors/

David's music isn't for everyone, i'll definitely agree with that, but he's one of the more inventive songwriters around right now (not surprised that David Byrne thinks so highly of him as a result)

61qVGWur1GL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Todd Snider - The Excitement Plan