Unlikely Japan...?

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a poem in Tweedy's book Adult Head with this title if I'm not mistaken. The lyrics were very similiar to Impossible Germany but with some variations and different verses/structure thrown in. Maybe this helps?

Hey Folks,

Wow, this is very exciting!! I was always fascinated with how this would have sounded in the Summerteeth era. It's a shame it didn't end up on the leaked demos.

So I wonder if this song sounds like the Wilco Book tracks? Weren't some of the songs like What Good Am I and This Is New from Adult Head? Can't place when those recordings were done. 2003-2005?

Also, the fact that it was recorded during 2003 makes me wonder how many other tracks we'll get to eventually hear. Wait...ok I assume these were the A Ghost Is Born sessions?

It's nice to be getting some good b-sides once again.

2 weeks to find out.

Kristofor

Hey,

That reminds me.

Does anyone have a quick link to the 1st ever live performance of Impossible Germany when the guitar solo was in the middle and than the last verse comes in?

I had it on my iTunes but I deleted it without knowing what significance it had.

I'll check WIlcobase than Owl & Bear.

Thanks,

Kristofor

There is a poem in Tweedy's book Adult Head with this title if I'm not mistaken. The lyrics were very similiar to Impossible Germany but with some variations and different verses/structure thrown in. Maybe this helps?

I thought that the poem called "Unlikely Japan" kind of morphed into Loose Fur's "Wanted." So this probably isn't that, exactly.

Hey,

That reminds me.

Does anyone have a quick link to the 1st ever live performance of Impossible Germany when the guitar solo was in the middle and than the last verse comes in?

I had it on my iTunes but I deleted it without knowing what significance it had.

Thanks,

Kristofor

Actually, the first live performance of it has the solo placed as it appears on the record (2006.06.28 MacEwan Hall, Calgary). They tinkered with it about pretty soon after, if I remember correctly, but I can't find any hard evidence for that. The next time I have them playing it, at Summerfest (2006.07.05) it's still in its studio location so I'm wagering it was shifted in between those two shows.

For what it's worth, Nels' solo on that first performance is still my favorite solo of his.

Actually, the first live performance of it has the solo placed as it appears on the record (2006.06.28 MacEwan Hall, Calgary). They tinkered with it about pretty soon after, if I remember correctly, but I can't find any hard evidence for that. The next time I have them playing it, at Summerfest (2006.07.05) it's still in its studio location so I'm wagering it was shifted in between those two shows.

For what it's worth, Nels' solo on that first performance is still my favorite solo of his.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I saw them at the Pines Theater on July 16,2006 and I listened to that on my computer after I posted and the solo is the same as the studio recording.

Hmm...my 1st iPod should have the 1st live performance or rather the one with the solo in the middle. But it hasn't been working for awhile.

Thanks,

Kristofor

I thought that the poem called "Unlikely Japan" kind of morphed into Loose Fur's "Wanted." So this probably isn't that, exactly.

Ah yes I forgot about that! Maybe a little carryover in each? We'll have to see I guess.

Nice info! I was at that Calgary show, I showed up early and listened to them soundcheck the song literally 5 or 6 times before the show. At that point I didn't realize it had never been played before, so it was definitely cool to find out I witnessed the debut of a 'classic'.

I was REVOLTED when I heard a version from later in the Canadian tour that had the solo in the middle. It was with much, much, MUCH relief I discovered they'd 'fixed' it when the album came out.

Hey,

That reminds me.

Thanks,

Kristofor

I have an mp3 of it at Montreal, July 10th 2006 with a verse after the solo.

Pete

I have an mp3 of it at Montreal, July 10th 2006 with a verse after the solo.

Pete

Hey akapd,

Can you post that here for us?

It'd be greatly appreciated!

I may find and post an early version of What Light or Walken on here to return the love.

Thanks,

Kristofor

Hey,

I am going to post 5 live tracks here. I hope we get the Impossible Germany version that we've discussed on here.

1st one is the 2nd live performance of Shake It Off from Chicago 11-24-06. My first Wilco show in Chicago. I'm still a big fan of the song when it's done live.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jpldiw

Also, from that same show is What Light which I believe was sung in a lower key.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ywiady

Another song from that show is Let's Not Get Carried Away. Definitely miss that song. 2nd to last performance.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lcqcyd

The first live performance of Side With The Seeds from Chicago 11-25-06. I was also lucky enough to be at this show.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/a0q4y2

Lastly, from the Pines Theater in 2006 - Let's Fight. I consider myself damn lucky to have heard this. 2nd performance of 3. Wonder if this will ever show up in some form.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5zgfjs

Enjoy these. I'm sure most have these, but if you don't than cheers. VC is back.

Kristofor

Lastly, from the Pines Theater in 2006 - Let's Fight. I consider myself damn lucky to have heard this. 2nd performance of 3. Wonder if this will ever show up in some form.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5zgfjs

I doubt it, at the Living Room Show I attended, he did not remember this song at all. The group that played with him played it without Jeff because he had no idea what song that was.

Here it is

Impossible Germany - Montreal, July 10th 2006

http://www.sendspace.com/file/fixlih

cheers,

Pete

Thanks for this Pete!!

:stunned

Can't wait to hear this right now. Intrigued at how it's going to sound. I forgot how they come back in from the solo.

Kristofor

Edit: Wow, this is awesome to have again. Definitely a version to put on and trick fellow Wilco fans.

Yep I like this version, the solo structure has changed a bit compared to current version. I like how the solo starts out fluid and jazzy and builds to that great climax that the crowd applauds.

I would like to hear any earlier versions too.

cheers,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Folks,

I just picked up the 7 Inch single at Bull Moose Records in Salem, NH...they had 4 copies left.

About to eat than put it on to find out what Unlikely Japan sounds like.

Kristofor

1190272124.jpg

WOW!!

Simply breathtaking. Why can't this be on a cd single?!

How does it sound? It fits in nicely with A Ghost Is Born and the Wilco Book cd. Very 70s sounding..has a T-Rex (Cosmic Dancer) feel to it in certain sounds that weren't typical for Wilco to use. Similar in acoustic sound to Muzzle Of Bees and Company In My Back and electronic stuff added in a la Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. There's even an interesting "ending" that sounds like Bull Black Nova's intro. I use quotes because it's like a fake out ending and turns into Jeff singing "Impossible Germany, Unlikely Japan" that turns into an electronic voice.

Vocals: Very nice and "hushed". Not sure if backing vox is Jeff or John. Can't tell.

Lyrics: Since I don't have Adult Head, I can't say if it's word for word from poem of same name. But there are of course similar lines to Impossible Germany.

Specific word that stuck out like a sore thumb "PEACH/ES" ? couldn't make out that whole line at all? Anyone with the book want to help out?

Duration: About 5 minutes. Zipped by though. Definitely has that typical Wilco feeling that you need more than a dozen listens to grasp all the intricacies.

Kristofor

PS Definitely needs to get put on the internet for download. I don't have the means to do so.

Hey Folks,

I just picked up the 7 Inch single at Bull Moose Records in Salem, NH...they had 4 copies left.

About to eat than put it on to find out what Unlikely Japan sounds like.

Kristofor

got this as well.

sounds very nice imo.

I bought the 7 inch today. "Unlikely Japan" sounds absolutely nothing like "Impossible Germany" save for the same lyrics. It's really slow with acoustic and piano. It sounds like something off of "A Ghost Is Born"...it's really dark. It kind of reminds me of the "Hummingbird" version from the Wilco Book. It says it was recorded in 2003 at the Loft by Mikael.

"You Never Know" is amazing as well. Wow, I can't wait for this new album.

1190272124.jpg

WOW!!

Simply breathtaking. Why can't this be on a cd single?!

How does it sound? It fits in nicely with A Ghost Is Born and the Wilco Book cd. Very 70s sounding..has a T-Rex (Cosmic Dancer) feel to it in certain sounds that weren't typical for Wilco to use. Similar in acoustic sound to Muzzle Of Bees and Company In My Back and electronic stuff added in a la Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. There's even an interesting "ending" that sounds like Bull Black Nova's intro. I use quotes because it's like a fake out ending and turns into Jeff singing "Impossible Germany, Unlikely Japan" that turns into an electronic voice.

Vocals: Very nice and "hushed". Not sure if backing vox is Jeff or John. Can't tell.

Lyrics: Since I don't have Adult Head, I can't say if it's word for word from poem of same name. But there are of course similar lines to Impossible Germany.

Specific word that stuck out like a sore thumb "PEACH/ES" ? couldn't make out that whole line at all? Anyone with the book want to help out?

Duration: About 5 minutes. Zipped by though. Definitely has that typical Wilco feeling that you need more than a dozen listens to grasp all the intricacies.

Kristofor

PS Definitely needs to get put on the internet for download. I don't have the means to do so.

Well I think I have to hear this now and don't have a record player, the first person that gets this thing with vinyl rip, do us all a favor and lecture us about internet piracy and filesharing, wink, wink, nudge, nudge. Don't upload directly to the thread, but we could certainly get an e-mail/PM chain going to get this out there.

--Mike

The ending is totally unique to anything else in the Wilco canon. Very 80's electronic weirdness going on. There are some different lyrics for sure. Very, very cool and once again this makes me wonder just how much of this stuff is out there. 15 years in, I'd say a box set is due fairly soon.