Unlikely Japan...?

It seems like it would make sense to have a box set covering the Reprise years, since that era is long over. The YHF sessions could be a box set all by itself. Perhaps a 10 year anniversary package available in 2012 would make sense. Save everything since YHF for a later set down the road.

Of course, I wouldn't mind having it all at once. :thumbup

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright I think someone said this earlier but I'll take over the reigns. If anyone out there still needs Unlikely Japan just PM me. Having said that, I would encourage ALL of you to not just grab this MP3 and be done with it. Sounds like a lot of you have been ordering though which is great.

PM please? I got the record..twice actually, but could use a digital copy

i'm an unabashed fanboy.

Same here!

particularly the dBPm album that was talked about in some of the April 2002 press coverage of the band when Foxtrot came out. I listen to the Wilco Book CD as much as anything they've ever put out.

Wasn't The Wilco Book made of of mostly dBPm material?

I like both. What am I?

I know you are

in all seriousness I like both Wilco's too. I'm just not going to sing praises on a songs because they threw in some electronic vocals and bleeps.

nodep5, please analyze me, I feel out of place. I first saw wilco in 1995, have been into them since '96. Summerteeth is favorite album, and yet I love this song, not because they threw in some bleeps at the end, but because it makes me feel something, it hits me with a certain wow factor. according to your 2 Camps rule, this shouldn't be happening.

If someone could send a PM my way, I would be most appreciative. Like a lot of people on here, I bought the record and do not have a way to convert it into a digital format. Thanks for the help....

nodep5, please analyze me, I feel out of place. I first saw wilco in 1995, have been into them since '96. Summerteeth is favorite album, and yet I love this song, not because they threw in some bleeps at the end, but because it makes me feel something, it hits me with a certain wow factor. according to your 2 Camps rule, this shouldn't be happening.

No it shouldn't and now I have to go back to the laboratory and recompute my calculations. I'm glad you like the song, because I know I get tired of Wilco fans on this board talking about how much Wilco sucks!

there are liner notes (written by Mikael) for all the Wilcobook tracks. I'm at work, so I don't have the book handy, but if nobody gets around to it, I'll look them over tonight and see which tracks are from dBpm.

No it shouldn't and now I have to go back to the laboratory and recompute my calculations. I'm glad you like the song, because I know I get tired of Wilco fans on this board talking about how much Wilco sucks!

We know.

--Mike

Alright I've passed this along to quite a few people now. I'd be willing to do a few more so just PM me rather than posting on here and I should be able to help ya out sometime today.

(And just one more time -- Definitely encourage ordering the album or the single from the kungfu store. Keep supporting this amazing band we all love and they'll keep loving us back...baby!)

Guest Speed Racer

Wow. For archival purposes, it's a great work in progress. I love hearing early and alternate versions of Wilco songs. As a standalone, it's really not my cup of tea. I love the Wilco Book stuff a lot, and I was wondering if I would think of this differently without having heard "Impossible Germany," but I don't think I would. The quasi-melody (can you imagine what people would have said if this was on AGIB, the first post-Bennett release?) goes NOWHERE, and just when you think things might get better, out comes this auto-tune-like abomination. What?!

So, probably won't get heavy rotation at my home.

It's an interesting song to listen to, and see what IG began its life as, but I'm not a huge fan. The robot vocals at the end do nothing for me.

Unfortunately, it's songs like this that lend credence to the false theory that Wilco is an experimental band. And people who believe in this are disappointed with anything that isn't "experimental," such as the new album.

It's an interesting song to listen to, and see what IG began its life as, but I'm not a huge fan. The robot vocals at the end do nothing for me.

Unfortunately, it's songs like this that lend credence to the false theory that Wilco is an experimental band. And people who believe in this are disappointed with anything that isn't "experimental," such as the new album.

i'd argue (peacefully) that they are an experimental band. maybe not in the "hey let's do weird stuff on every track" kind of thing, but they're experimental in that each album is kind of an experiment, no matter what the sound. an experiment for the listener and the artist. Sky Blue Sky experimented with a looser feel, a laid back vibe or whatever you want to call it. The new album experiments with just about everything Wilco has done.

i'd argue (peacefully) that they are an experimental band. maybe not in the "hey let's do weird stuff on every track" kind of thing, but they're experimental in that each album is kind of an experiment, no matter what the sound. an experiment for the listener and the artist. Sky Blue Sky experimented with a looser feel, a laid back vibe or whatever you want to call it. The new album experiments with just about everything Wilco has done.

I would agree with this.

But the general consensus of "experimental" seems to lean towards really weird shit on every track. In Wilco's case, it's stupid, because even YHF is a pop album in the grand scheme of things. But casual Wilco "fans" think that that one album has enough "experimental" music to justify expecting every album after it to be the craziest thing they've ever heard.

It's part of why I think Wilco has a rather poor quality casual fanbase. This forum obviously shows that there are a lot of obsessive Wilco fans, who may or may not like everything, but the non-obsessive Wilco fans I've seen are terrible.

Guest Speed Racer

the non-obsessive Wilco fans I've seen are terrible.

Poor dressers? Messy eaters? Cheaters, liars, don't call their moms on Sundays?

I've always thought Wilco was experimental because they're really not afraid to try anything - even voice manipulation, it seems. Listen to all the different takes for K/Camera. Plenty of different approaches to the song, with or without 'noise.' I like that I can listen to a "Poor Place" playlist, and not hear the same song twice.

I think they have such a small casual fanbase (which really is rather large, considering that most who go to shows are likely casual fans) because casual fans who like A.M. want 10 A.M.'s, casual fans who like BT want 10 BT's, or YHF, etc. They can't get into the whole canon because they like just that one slice - maybe two, and Wilco never has made the same record twice.