WIlco on the Tonight Show

The guys really looked like they were having fun...so nice to see a band on one of these shows not phoning it in!

Loved the Nudie suits too...is that a new one for Jeff?

Nah, Jeff wore that at Lolla last year

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty sure Vivino sat in with the band in 2002 when they played I'm The Man Who Loves You on Conan, it was the first time I had actually seen the YHF era lineup, I remember being bummed afterwards when I found out the dude playing acoustic guitar in a fedora wasn't actually with them.

--Mike

I like that song, Nels' slide guitar sounded a lot like George Harrison. Can't wait for the new album now :)

At the Cincinnati show Nels hardly attempted to reproduce the harrison riff, but it was much more pronounced on Conan last night. At Cincinnati Jeff was watching him to see if he could pull it off and he really didn't do it. You could tell that solo was new for Nels because he seemed concerned about playing it.

they were tight and the sound was perfect. I like the new album based on hearing it a few times on the stream and I think "You Never Know" is a real nice pop song rooted in classic rock. However I don't feel a great deal from that song. In fact it is similar to how I felt about "Heavy Metal Drummer" "The Late Greats" and "What Light" Pleasant but not blowing me away. I think the best chance Wilco ever had for a true single to catch was either "Shot In The Arm" or "I'm A Wheel". I was always shocked that they didn't really push "I'm A Wheel". Now that song gets me moving when I hear it. That could have been huge (relatively)

Guest Speed Racer

I was always shocked that they didn't really push "I'm A Wheel". Now that song gets me moving when I hear it.

Really? I swear, in 2004, it was played every other song on the few radio stations I listened to. Everytime I turned on the radio, it was either just finishing, playing, or starting after the next song.

WOW. I have not listened to any of the new album. I have kept myself from it so as not to burn out and really enjoy the "release date" like I once did years ago. Now I'm not sure how to take this.......Is this song a highlight on the new record? I'm sorry but it really does sound like they don't care anymore. :punch

They looked great and sound tight ass hell but I think the song has a Linda Ronstadt feel.

WOW. I have not listened to any of the new album. I have kept myself from it so as not to burn out and really enjoy the "release date" like I once did years ago. Now I'm not sure how to take this.......Is this song a highlight on the new record? I'm sorry but it really does sound like they don't care anymore. :punch

They looked great and sound tight ass hell but I think the song has a Linda Ronstadt feel.

It's not a highlight per se, but it's probably the best entry point to the album for people who aren't message board superfans.

Only listened to the album a few times but personally it is my least favorite song on the album. "You Never Know" is just boring to me--maybe it will grow on me but I doubt it.

If you don't like "You Never Know," you may be in for a long ride with this album. For certain, there are better songs, but I think it's definitely in the upper half of tunes. There is one song, though with the potential to stand as an all-time classic in the Wilco catlog. Good for you for holding out. I did so the last two times, but not this time.

Probably my least favorite song on the new album. The suits looked great but buy some gotdamm matching shoes. Jeff and John look like they're wearing tennis shoes. that's like driving a Bentley w/ $100 rims.

Really? I swear, in 2004, it was played every other song on the few radio stations I listened to. Everytime I turned on the radio, it was either just finishing, playing, or starting after the next song.

Yeah, Wheel was played every hour on XRT when it came out. (not that I'm complaining - well maybe a little --- "There's plenty of other songs on the album, damnit")

There is one song, though with the potential to stand as an all-time classic in the Wilco catlog.

I hope you're talking about "One Wing."

I still don't think much of "Bull Black Nova."

Guest Jules

I didn't say that.....I said a wider audience. They put in the hard work of gigging almost all year round. Why not wish them more success or a chart topping song or album?

SBS debuted at #4. Not too bad. Unfortunately, they don't have the staying power of the Black Eyed Pees.

anyone think or see that Jeff looked a really skinny and beat up a little? He looked like he was just coming out of hospital... I dont know it could of been my tv and the widescreen settings, just wondering what you guys thought. Either way it was awesome to see 8 nudie suits and I really do hope they send Conan a custom 6'5" one

I think the rest of the album is much more memorable than "You Never Know". "You Never Know" feels like Wilco on autopilot. It is smooth and catchy but a little lifeless in a way. The kind of song that they could naturally write any day of the week I would imagine. I hope it will sneak up on me some day. I had a similar reaction the first time I heard Ryan Adams's "Two" off of Easy Tiger, but at some point, it hit me how freaking amazing that song is, in a singer songwriter/song structure/lyric way. I think I like the message (if you will)of "you Never Know", but it just seems like cruise control or autopilot.

Probably my least favorite song on the new album. The suits looked great but buy some gotdamm matching shoes. Jeff and John look like they're wearing tennis shoes. that's like driving a Bentley w/ $100 rims.

Wait, I thought $100 was a lot for rims. :P

I liked seeing them, but 12:30 is significantly past my Wednesday night bedtime, and I'm paying the price today. Good performance. I'm ambivalent about the song, though.

I don't mean this to sound crass, but the stand-in guitarist with the black suit and the hat that kept his face hidden struck me as a subtle macabre homage to Jay Bennett. I'm pretty sure that wasn't their intent. Like I said, it was past my bedtime.