WIlco on the Tonight Show

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those registered on DIME (www.dimeadozen.org)

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=254979

WILCO

The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien (NBC-TV)

June 24, 2009

You Never Know (MPEG2 NTSC video/DVD compatible) 5:06

The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien

Stage 1

Universal Studios

Universal City, CA

VIDEO: digital cable>Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-250 Capture card using "DVD SP/MPEG2 quality-setting">VideoReDo edit to remove intro/outro commercials-no recoding>MPEG2 file on HD

NTSC MPEG2 DVD/24 Bit/720X480/29.970 f/s/VBR

WOW. I have not listened to any of the new album. I have kept myself from it so as not to burn out and really enjoy the "release date" like I once did years ago. Now I'm not sure how to take this.......Is this song a highlight on the new record? I'm sorry but it really does sound like they don't care anymore. :punch

They looked great and sound tight ass hell but I think the song has a Linda Ronstadt feel.

Also my least favorite song on the new album, by far. I had softened a bit on it after the Pomona and Wiltern shows I attended (where I very much enjoyed YNK), but last night again left me wondering why they chose to have that song as the single instead of One Wing, W(TS), Sonny Feeling... hell even You and I. Those harmonies just annoy me and the song seems to plod along.

But rest assured, there still is quite a bit to love on the new album... even if you don't like YNK.

Guest Jules

Also my least favorite song on the new album, by far. I had softened a bit on it after the Pomona and Wiltern shows I attended (where I very much enjoyed YNK), but last night again left me wondering why they chose to have that song as the single instead of One Wing, W(TS), Sonny Feeling... hell even You and I. Those harmonies just annoy me and the song seems to plod along.

Wasn't What Light the single off SBS?

Kids,

Totally dug that song last night! Can't beleive some people don't like it. Fuck that noise.

They could have 15 musicians and still rock off Conan's funny red hair.

And those suits. haha har. Schweet. I need some of those to go out and play bowling with my good friends.

I'm Outski,

Ryan Kemp

YNK certainly isn't the most challenging song on the album, but to me it's hardly the least, either. That would definitely have to be the duet. YNK is pleasant enough, but it just seems way too repetitive to me. It's got a short bridge, jumps right back to the chorus, and repeats that several times. I guess that makes it a decent candidate for radio play for non-fans. Definitely not a recipe for a Wilco classic, though.

I really want to see Conan in one of those suits. To me, he's one of those guys that can make me laugh with nothing but a stare, so I can only imagine how great he's look in a Nudie suit.

It would have to be really tall, the guy is 6'4.

i like You Never Know some, but was fairly indifferent to that performance i suppose (neither bad nor great)

I'm The Man That Loves You with the horns on Conan was probably their best late night TV performance

I'm The Man That Loves You with the horns on Conan was probably their best late night TV performance

I remember Jesus, Etc. with a full string section on Leno being pretty amazing.

I am pretty sure Vivino sat in with the band in 2002 when they played I'm The Man Who Loves You on Conan, it was the first time I had actually seen the YHF era lineup, I remember being bummed afterwards when I found out the dude playing acoustic guitar in a fedora wasn't actually with them.

--Mike

I saw Jimmy at Levon Helm's a few years back. He was pseudo band director at a Midnight Ramble. He's a great guy, easy going, a lot of fun and a heckuva player.

agree. it's among the worst songs tweedy's ever written and the music is a bore. i'm quite surprised they played this clunker. shoulda gone with 'i'll fight'

I think the rest of the album is much more memorable than "You Never Know". "You Never Know" feels like Wilco on autopilot. It is smooth and catchy but a little lifeless in a way. The kind of song that they could naturally write any day of the week I would imagine. I hope it will sneak up on me some day. I had a similar reaction the first time I heard Ryan Adams's "Two" off of Easy Tiger, but at some point, it hit me how freaking amazing that song is, in a singer songwriter/song structure/lyric way. I think I like the message (if you will)of "you Never Know", but it just seems like cruise control or autopilot.

I remember Jesus, Etc. with a full string section on Leno being pretty amazing.

That was a great one. By the looks of it someone put in a call to the LA musicians union and asked for their hottest 20-something string quartet.

It was a solid performance, but they all seemed not particularly into it. Compared to the live performance that I saw and the cred they've naturally developed this performance was sort of lifeless, I'm going to be honest. Take a look at that one video posted earlier of Wilco doing Monday back in the day. A considerably higher energy level there. "You Never Know" doesn't rock out as hard but it's just as upbeat and (probably more) cheery than "Monday," so last night's lack of energy was unfortunate, because it could have totally been really awesome. Though I suppose they're all just getting old? :P

Isn't he the guy that sang "In The Year 2000" on Conan?

no, that's La Bamba.

It was a solid performance, but they all seemed not particularly into it. Compared to the live performance that I saw and the cred they've naturally developed this performance was sort of lifeless, I'm going to be honest. Take a look at that one video posted earlier of Wilco doing Monday back in the day. A considerably higher energy level there. "You Never Know" doesn't rock out as hard but it's just as upbeat and (probably more) cheery than "Monday," so last night's lack of energy was unfortunate, because it could have totally been really awesome. Though I suppose they're all just getting old? :P

i think maybe you're suffering from a case of overanalyzitis.

Does anyone know who the two other guitar players were? The only time I've seen them all wear the "Nudie" suits was at Tanglewood last year. I'm a little curious how often the whole band wears them. Maybe I'm in the minority bit I thought the song sounded great.

Guest Jules

Pretty sure those guys were part of the Max Weinberg 7.

one was Jimmy Vivino- i read somewhere earlier he was playing with them. part of the tonight show house band.

The other guy was Chris Seefried. From what I hear he is a friend of Jimmy Vivino's.

I am pretty sure Vivino sat in with the band in 2002 when they played I'm The Man Who Loves You on Conan, it was the first time I had actually seen the YHF era lineup, I remember being bummed afterwards when I found out the dude playing acoustic guitar in a fedora wasn't actually with them.

--Mike

Does anyone know who the two other guitar players were?