WIlco on the Tonight Show

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry my initial hunches have clear evidence that I obviously thought was relevant? Everything sounded good as usual but the energy level was really low...not what they usually provide.

nah, this was par for the course when it comes to Wilco performing on late night TV

I'm sorry my initial hunches have clear evidence that I obviously thought was relevant? Everything sounded good as usual but the energy level was really low...not what they usually provide.

you don't have to apologize. i didn't say it to be mean...i'm just kind of baffled that we're even really discussing their "energy level".

Seeing Conan come out to shake hands makes wonder whether Conan is the largest human on the planet or are Jeff and John midgets?

Ha! I thought the same thing. I always thought Conan looked tall next to the guys, but, this time, he seemed especially ginormous!

it never ceases to amaze me that a solid 40% of Wilco's "diehard fans" gripe about everything they do...

I think with a band that has such a wide stylistic range as Wilco, that's inevitable. There's always going to be some style of song they are going to make that some people just won't connect with.

it never ceases to amaze me that a solid 40% of Wilco's "diehard fans" gripe about everything they do...

Irritating and annoying, but not unusual. You ought to check out some Springsteen fan sites.

It's been a long time since I've posted here. After SBS, I kind of put Wilco aside for a while in favor of some other music. When I heard about the new record I started paying attention again, and since "Wilco (The Song)" on Colbert last year, the Tonight Show performance was the first I've heard of the new stuff. Gotta say I am not excited about it. It sounds to me like the mellower parts of SBS. I'm just not a fan of the band's current mellow direction. I realize we can't expect "Misunderstood" on every record, especially as these guys get into their middle age. I'm just saying this will probably be the first Wilco studio record that I don't care enough about to buy.

It's been a long time since I've posted here. After SBS, I kind of put Wilco aside for a while in favor of some other music. When I heard about the new record I started paying attention again, and since "Wilco (The Song)" on Colbert last year, the Tonight Show performance was the first I've heard of the new stuff. Gotta say I am not excited about it. It sounds to me like the mellower parts of SBS. I'm just not a fan of the band's current mellow direction. I realize we can't expect "Misunderstood" on every record, especially as these guys get into their middle age. I'm just saying this will probably be the first Wilco studio record that I don't care enough about to buy.

There's a lot of variety on this record. I really like it but if those were the only two songs that I heard I would probably feel the same way that you do. I would give it a chance. There's a lot of good stuff on there. And Bull Black Nova is definitely not mellow.

You're writing it off after two songs?

Come on, man. At least listen to the whole thing a few times.

Irritating and annoying, but not unusual. You ought to check out some Springsteen fan sites.

i think springsteen, at this point in his career, is probably more open to criticism from his fans than wilco is at this point in their career. that last bruce album was a clunker deluxe.

I'm amused that someone who thinks YNK is "the worst Wilco song ever" would think that "I'll Fight" is so awesome. That song is like the Carson Daly of Wilco songs - average in every way possible.

Nobody plays their songs on late night TV to blow peoples minds - they go to move product and get people to pay attention who otherwise wouldn't. YNK isn't the best song on the album, but it's the best one for that purpose.