Hey all I'm thinking of purchasing a record player sometime in the near future to play the Wilco vinyls I am planning on ordering. I'm wondering if anyone could direct me on what a solid player would be (i.e. features i should look for). Not looking for anything extreme (something $300 or less). If anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

i have a crosley. you can get em at any department store for about 100-150. it plays cds, radio and cassettes too, you should check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Crosley-Rochester-Entertainment-Center-Paprika/dp/B000HQ6I0S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1245135302&sr=8-2

Somewhat related...I have a decent TEAC record player ($150) that I have had a few years but have not used much. I am wanting to delve into vinyl more, but I am unable to run it through my current receiver/stereo system. What do I need to be able to set it up on its own to listen to records through my Sony headphones that I purchased? A phono preamp, a separate receiver with proper connections...?

Any guidance or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Somewhat related...I have a decent TEAC record player ($150) that I have had a few years but have not used much. I am wanting to delve into vinyl more, but I am unable to run it through my current receiver/stereo system. What do I need to be able to set it up on its own to listen to records through my Sony headphones that I purchased? A phono preamp, a separate receiver with proper connections...?

Any guidance or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I think this will allow you to run it through your stereo system's aux or tape input

http://www.gordonlasalle.com/servlet/the-4572/Behringer-Microphono-PP400-Phono/Detail

• 9 months later...

Hey Ajax etc.

Did you ever decide on a player? I'm in the same boat you are/were in.

Looks like the Audio-Technica recommended has been discontinued, and replaced with this USB model, AT-LP120-USB

does anybody have experience with this one? Looks to me, like it's the same model just has a USB output :blush

Saul

Looks like the Audio-Technica recommended has been discontinued, and replaced with this USB model, AT-LP120-USB

does anybody have experience with this one? Looks to me, like it's the same model just has a USB output :blush

Saul

Yeah, it looks exactly the same. I have the non-usb version, and I absolutely love it. Best piece of stereo equipment I've ever owned.

Looks like the non-usb version is still pretty easy to find online. I wouldn't hesitiate to buy another one, depite it being discontinued.

i have a crosley. you can get em at any department store for about 100-150. it plays cds, radio and cassettes too, you should check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Crosley-Rochester-Entertainment-Center-Paprika/dp/B000HQ6I0S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1245135302&sr=8-2

I have one a lot like that. The bummer thing on mine is that the CD and tape player doesn't work anymore. Also the turntable wobbles just a bit. Doesn't hurt the quality of the sound, but it gets on my nerves if I watch the record spin

There is a bunch of threads in the music section about record players:

Looking For A Good Record Player Set Up

Buying a record player what do you suggest

Speakers for record player recommendation?

The powers that be should pin a thread about such things - record players, headphones, etc.

If you buy cheap record players at department stores, you are probably wasting your money.

Go to your local record store and and see if they have any decent used turntables there. My general rule is, if I try to pick it up, and its very light, it's probably not worth buying. Don't bother with those combo CD/Table/Lp things, because they aren't about quality, just convenience. A phono pre-amp is a good choice if you have a decent stereo, but you might be better off looking for a vintage receiver, which will sound nice.

My Crosley sounds as good or better than any other player I've had. I believe they make one now that will convert records tracks to MP3s and burn onto CD. That's amazing, I have a few records I love, that the rise of the digital did not.

• 5 years later...

Rather than start a new thread, this one seems like it will work.  I couldn't find an "audiophile" thread.  Anyways, I'm looking at getting some new Stereo speakers but don't really understand power requirements and things.  Basically I have:

Denon DRA-545R Receiver which looks to have a power rating of 60 watts per channel into 8 ohms

The speakers I was thinking about getting are the B&W 684 S2 (although I'm open to other suggestions) that list for recommended amplifier power as: 25-150 Watt into 8 ohms

This would be just for my turntable, CD player, Cassette, no home theater requirement or anything.

Does anyone in the know see a problem with this set up?

a lower powered amp will potentially damage speakers when pushed at high volumes, due to spikes and distortion. it's non-intuitive, but a higher powered amp is better for speakers, even those rated at a lower wattage (as long as you don't try to recreate the Maxell ad on occasions).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk71h2CQ_xM