Monsters of Folk (James, Oberst & Ward)

Looks like the long mooted 'Monsters of Folk' project is going to see the light of day. This is an album by M.Ward, Jim James, Conor Oberst and Mike Mogis. It features new songs by all involved. There is a website up now and the album is due in September. I love all the contributing artists so I really hope this turns out to be good.

http://pitchfork.com/news/35596-conor-oberstjim-jamesm-ward-album-finally-coming-out/

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nah, James and Ward have been positive influences on Conor.

He's not nearly as pretentious and whiny any more.

I don't remember the exact details, but wasn't there an interview with M. Ward like a month or two where he said he was hoping to record with the other guys at the end of the year??

I really don't think this is legit.

thanks for posting, i hope this is true. i almost forgot about this, they've been talking about it for so long but no news has been mentioned in about a year. this should be great..........i see the release date is scheduled for sep. 22nd. what a great day that will be, monsters of folk and pearl jam.

This is legit guys, there was a press release confirming it.

I'm normally hesitant about big collaborations, but this one should be great.

And to whoever said they don't make folk music, that's wrong. They may not all perform with nothing but acoustic guitars and a harmonica rack, but they make some damn folky stuff. Listen to any Jim james solo recordings if you don't consider MMJ a "folk" band.

Monsters of Folk:

01 Dear God (sincerely M.O.F.)

02 Say Please

03 Whole Lotta Losin'

04 Temazcal

05 The Right Place

06 Baby Boomer

07 Man Named Truth

08 Goodway

09 Ahead of the Curve

10 Slow Down Jo

11 Losin Yo Head

12 Magic Marker

13 Map of the World

14 The Sandman, the Brakeman and Me

15 His Master’s Voice

According to an update of pitchfork.

...but, they dont play folk music. maybe ward does, but not the others.

There's an album called Acoustic Citsuoca that disproves that in Jim James' case, it includes several folk ditties including Golden and Bermuda Highway.

Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser.

For Immediate Release:

MONSTERS OF FOLK

Photo by Autumn De Wilde

Monsters of Folk

September 22nd

Monsters of Folk – comprised of Bright Eyes’ Conor Oberst and Mike Mogis, My Morning Jacket’s Jim James and singer/songwriter M.Ward – will be releasing their first collaborative album on September 22nd.  The self-titled effort was recorded in Malibu, CA and Omaha, NE, and produced by Mike Mogis.  Although these critically acclaimed artists have shared the stage before, this album marks their first recorded output as a band.  The record will be released in North America on Shangri-La Music, and internationally on Rough Trade (UK/Europe), Spunk Records (Australia/New Zealand) and P-Vine Records (Japan).

Monsters of Folk began as folklore of sorts, when James, Oberst, Ward and Mogis did their first run of shows together in 2004.  Like the musical revue shows that went town to town when rock ‘n’ roll was newly born, the tour was called “An Evening With:  Bright Eyes, Jim James and M. Ward,” although amongst friends and crew, it became affectionately known as the “Monsters of Folk Tour.”  While entertaining audiences coast to coast with gorgeous acoustic melodies and world-weary tales, the foursome vowed to make their way to a studio at some point after the tour’s completion.  Instead,  the songsmiths went on to individually release some of rock music’s most exciting and essential albums of the last five years – Bright Eyes’ I’m Wide Awake, It’s Morning & Cassadaga; My Morning Jacket’s Z & Evil Urges; M. Ward’s Post War and Hold Time.   Never ones to forget their promise, when downtime presented itself, they convened in the studio multiple times over two years, with Mogis at the helm of their first recorded effort.  The result is as stunning and storied as you would expect it to be.

All four members play every instrument on the album, supplying everything from drum kills to cascading backing vocals.  The songs – some road-worn fables, some intimate and intricate with electronic elements, some woozy and sun-soaked – are everything one expects from these four musical minds collaborating together.  The album exudes a warm, organic spaciousness, filled by brilliant choruses, intoxicating harmonies and effortless melodies, as each member brings his own strengths to the table to create one perfect whole.

Track List in full:

1.    Dear God (sincerely M.O.F.)

2.    Say Please

3.    Whole Lotta Losin'

4.    Temazcal

5.    The Right Place

6.    Baby Boomer

7.    Man Named Truth

8.    Goodway

9.    Ahead of the Curve

10.  Slow Down Jo

11.  Losin Yo Head

12.  Magic Marker

13.  Map Of The World

14.  The Sandman, the Brakeman and Me

15.  His Master’s Voice

:D

• 2 weeks later...

From Billboard.com:

Jim James Readies George Harrison Covers E.P., Monster Of Folk Album

Jim James does George Harrison covers as Yim Yames.

June 24, 2009 12:19 PM ET

Michael D. Ayers, N.Y.

Although roots-rock act My Morning Jacket are enjoying some much needed downtime after a big 2008, frontman Jim James isn't resting. For his first official solo outing, James will debut a George Harrison tribute EP entitled "Tribute To" under the name "Yim Yames" on August 4. The six song set is due on ATO and was recorded a few days after Harrison passed away in 2001. James takes on four of Harrison's tracks from "All Things Must Pass" and two tunes that he penned with the Beatles: "Long, Long, Long" and "Love You To."

The set is said to evoke a "raw, minimalist feel" with James utilizing just his voice and an acoustic guitar. James refers to Harrison as "a prime example of the healing power of music" in the liner notes.

Also slated is an album with indie folk rockers Conor Oberst, Mike Mogis, and M. Ward, under the tongue-in-cheek moniker "Monsters of Folk." The fifteen song, self-titled set is due September 22 on Shangri-La Music. The four have shared stages dating back to 2004 when they embarked on a tour together that was later referred to by the musicians and crew as the "Monsters of Folk." The studio recording efforts have taken place over the last two years with all four members playing every instrument featured on the recording.

My Morning Jacket have risen over the last few years to be a dominant force on the touring circuit, capping 2008 with a sold out New Year's Eve gig at Madison Square Garden. Their recent studio efforts have also faired well; 2008's "Evil Urges" has sold 194,000 according to Nielson SoundScan and its best seller is 2005's "Z" at 243,000.

With the success of My Morning Jacket, James has been stepping out on his own more- he recently joined the likes of Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Sheryl Crow and Eddie Vedder at David Lynch's "Change Begins Within" Concert at Radio City Music Hall. James also recently ventured down to New Orleans and recorded with legendary act Preservation Hall Jazz Band for an upcoming benefit album for legendary concert venue Preservation Hall.

Although no dates are firm, a Monsters of Folk tour is expected to begin in September.

Here is the "Tribute To" track list:

"Long, Long, Long"

"Behind That Locked Door"

"Love You To"

"My Sweet Lord"

"Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll)"

"All Things Must Pass"

Here is the "Monsters of Folk" track list:

"Dear God (sincerely M.O.F.)"

"Say Please"

"Whole Lotta Losin'"

"Temazcal"

"The Right Place"

"Baby Boomer"

"Man Named Truth"

"Goodway"

"Ahead of the Curve"

"Slow Down Jo"

"Losin Yo Head"

"Magic Marker"

"Map Of The World"

"The Sandman, the Brakeman and Me"

"His Master's Voice"

I've had the Harrison thing for a few years now and it's really nice. I think "Behind That Locked Door" was featured on a Bloodshot compilation already, but the rest is worth hearing, too.