Monsters of Folk (James, Oberst & Ward)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just looked up how much i paid to see these same 4 guys play together in Minneapolis in 2004...

$18.

apparently that price has almost doubled every year since? :rotfl

we caught them in Pittsburgh during that tour and our tickets were $15. this shit is unjustifiable.

Solace, did you get your End of Amnesia LP reissue? sounds great!

i wanna say i did... i'm really bad about ordering vinyl and letting it sit in a stack for a month or two until i get through to listening to it, but i'm pretty sure I picked this one up earlier this spring.

Dear God (Sincerely M.O.F.) sounds like an Evil Urges b-side

It's definitely a Jim-driven track. And it does remind me of a lot of EU.

I was lukewarm at first, but after two more listens, I really like it. It adds to the tongue-in-cheek aspect of their name. I'm glad they aren't just releasing a straight up album of "folk" songs. If there are a few tracks like Dear God thrown in, I'll be pleased.

There's a very lengthy interview/ feature on Jim in today's Louisville Courier-Journal. It touches on MMJ's history, Louisville, Jim's new projects and more. Very good read. Link below, enjoy:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090802/SCENE04/908020306/Jim-James-unplugged&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

• 3 weeks later...

yeah.

Conor was fucking awful then. couldn't stand him or his goatboy voice at that point.

but Matt & Jim killed it :)

goat boy...hilarious.

i've been so hot and cold with mmj. if i let myself, i can really dig at dawn, it still moves, z. they have a cool sound, but yim seems to do some goofy things with his voice that i just think ruin his songs. also, his lyrics are pretty goofy sometimes...'baby in a blender'? anyway, i'm trying to suspend judgement on some stuff lately and get into some things that could be rewarding (the national, mmj, dbt). i hope this album is good and is a gateway to m. ward and connor.

A great gateway into M. Ward would be "Transfiguration of Vincent"

goat boy...hilarious.

i've been so hot and cold with mmj. if i let myself, i can really dig at dawn, it still moves, z. they have a cool sound, but yim seems to do some goofy things with his voice that i just think ruin his songs. also, his lyrics are pretty goofy sometimes...'baby in a blender'? anyway, i'm trying to suspend judgement on some stuff lately and get into some things that could be rewarding (the national, mmj, dbt). i hope this album is good and is a gateway to m. ward and connor.

• 3 weeks later...

noted!

just saw a print add for this tour that now states the MoF shows will be similar to the 2004 shows: songs from m. ward, mmj and bright eyes along with the collaborative material. WOOOOOOO!! :yay

album is pretty good... i was hoping for something mindblowing, but it turned out sorta what you'd expect it to be i suppose.

still can't help feel like these are throwaway/b-side material from their own projects brought in to collaborate a little on though.

that said, Matt's tracks are def the highlight for me.

i've heard the shows will be 2.5-3+ hours, which for the $60-65 after fees, it better be ;). still a little bummed i have to miss the Mpls show, but oh well.