Can someone please explain the Tweedy "Living Room Shows"?

I think it's the "non-distribute" rule.

But up until the moment srmt posted in this thread, the shows were being distributed. They were available for free and easy download. And (some) people were still resentful.

Edited to reflect that only a very tiny minority of VCers have ever acted at all snarky about these shows.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

But Bart, people in San Diego and Maine DO go - they travel to the shows. And, there are people in Chicago who can't make it, for money or other reasons.

This is more like if Via Picasso had a private showing of their favorite Picasso originals for charity, with Picasso drinking Diet Coke with them, talking about the paintings, making crass jokes, funny jokes, lame jokes and serious jokes, posing for pictures and hanging out with them at a private residence in the Chicagoland area for an evening.

As you know, certain topics here are posted over and over again, and debated to death. No surprise there. I suppose what I would do is just pin a thread (like the thread about tickets) that includes some information - such as what Gogo and others put together, a clause about not posting or asking for the shows, lock the thread, and that would be that.

Wouldn't be a bad idea at this point to have a VC FAQ. Among other things:

"I tried to rank the Wilco albums, and someone told me I was WRONG. What's up with this highy messed up freak?"

Answer.

"On that note, why can't people seem to spell 'highly' correctly around here?"

Answer.

"Some rich farts had a private party with Jeff and are rubbing it my face, and now they have a CD of the show that I'm not good enough to hear. What gives?"

Answer.

The problem with a VC FAQ is kind of the same deal with directing people to older threads about a topic. Most of the time, it's great to have that information readily available, and it saves people from explaining the same things over and over again, and it's neat to see how VC's take on things may have evolved over time... BUT...

Lots of people think that takes the fun out if for the new folks. If they want to raise a topic, and it's been discussed before, just pointing them to an FAQ, or an older thread, can seem like just shutting them down. I know that that's not how the people who've been around for a while usually intend that to come across, but unfortunately, it does, some times.

Having said that though, if anyone wants to take a crack at an FAQ and submit it to the mods, I'm sure your efforts would be much appreciated. Just don't be surprised if it takes us for-freakin'-ever to actually do anything with it. :D

The logic behind whether or not they should be distributed really doesn't matter.

Jeff wants them to be private...then that's how it should be.

I hear you and I get it. I really do.

Changing gears slightly:

But sometimes artists don't make the best decisions regarding their art. I'm not saying that's the case here, but since your name is "Shakespeare In The Alley", think about the Bob Dylan catalog......he didn't release BLIND WILLIE MCTELL on the album he recorded it for (Infidels I think). We had to wait for the Bootleg Series to hear it. A lot of people think it's the best song he's written since Blonde on Blonde and he removed it from the album! Think about your favorite bands and the songs they didn't put on the original albums. You hear these songs years later on some retrospective or official bootleg and they blow the stuff on the album away. This is the case for many of my favorite bands, including Wilco. I think of song like "The Ruling Class". I love it. It's catchy as hell, it has weird and wonderful lyrics. All Wilco fans should hear it, but it's not on the new record. I was bummed when I saw the track list. Yes, I know it's on the Tweedy DVD and yes I know the real Wilco freaks have heard it for years, but I'm thinking about the casual fan who buys the records, sees the show when they're in town but doesn't collect recordings or surf the web for Wilco stuff. This guy misses out.

Oh well, I'm blathering on. I'm going to try to stop.

Guest Speed Racer

Lots of people think that takes the fun out if for the new folks. If they want to raise a topic, and it's been discussed before, just pointing them to an FAQ, or an older thread, can seem like just shutting them down. I know that that's not how the people who've been around for a while usually intend that to come across, but unfortunately, it does, some times.

Well, a good alternative to a standard FAQ could be phrased differently so that it doesn't shoot down the topic so much as explain why folks popped a cap in their ass:

"WOAH! I tried posting a question about where the Loft is and, like, 20 VCers bit my head off before the ink was dry on my post, then the thread was closed! WTF?"

"I wanted to talk about how Son Volt is boss and Wilco is not as boss, and someone mouthed off about the search function, but the thread they linked to is from 2007. Can I just keep this new thread open?"

I think of song like "The Ruling Class". I love it. It's catchy as hell, it has weird and wonderful lyrics. All Wilco fans should hear it, but it's not on the new record. I was bummed when I saw the track list. Yes, I know it's on the Tweedy DVD and yes I know the real Wilco freaks have heard it for years, but I'm thinking about the casual fan who buys the records, sees the show when they're in town but doesn't collect recordings or surf the web for Wilco stuff. This guy misses out.

Damn that Loose Fur band for stealing it from Wilco, too. What a bunch of assholes. ;)

Well, a good alternative to a standard FAQ could be phrased differently so that it doesn't shoot down the topic so much as explain why folks popped a cap in their ass:

OK, you're hired! :thumbup

I said I was going to stop and here I am again. Sorry.

But up until the moment srmt posted in this thread, the shows were being distributed. They were available for free and easy download. And (some) people were still resentful.

I can't defend people being resentful if they could listen to the show but just not attend. Those people sound like dickheads.

Jealous? Sure, but not resentful. I'm jealous of some of my neighbors who's wives don't have to work (mine does), and take 3 or 4 fantstic vacations a year (I don't), and drive cars made this decade (I don't), but I'm not resentful. I'm jealous of the people that attended any of these shows, I'm jealous of the people who get to see acoustic Tweedy shows, I'm jealous of the people who saw the Beatles play on the roof at Abbey Road, but to resent any of them would be retarded.

I hear you and I get it. I really do.

Changing gears slightly:

But sometimes artists don't make the best decisions regarding their art. I'm not saying that's the case here, but since your name is "Shakespeare In The Alley", think about the Bob Dylan catalog......he didn't release BLIND WILLIE MCTELL on the album he recorded it for (Infidels I think). We had to wait for the Bootleg Series to hear it. A lot of people think it's the best song he's written since Blonde on Blonde and he removed it from the album! Think about your favorite bands and the songs they didn't put on the original albums. You hear these songs years later on some retrospective or official bootleg and they blow the stuff on the album away. This is the case for many of my favorite bands, including Wilco. I think of song like "The Ruling Class". I love it. It's catchy as hell, it has weird and wonderful lyrics. All Wilco fans should hear it, but it's not on the new record. I was bummed when I saw the track list. Yes, I know it's on the Tweedy DVD and yes I know the real Wilco freaks have heard it for years, but I'm thinking about the casual fan who buys the records, sees the show when they're in town but doesn't collect recordings or surf the web for Wilco stuff. This guy misses out.

Oh well, I'm blathering on. I'm going to try to stop.

The Ruling Class has been released, as this thread is making clear. Check that album out. It's among the best things Tweedy's ever done.

And Dylan amazes me at his unreleased stuff. For an example less common than Blind Willie McTell, Red River Shore is among the best songs I've ever heard, and he didn't put it on Time Out Of Mind. And my favorite band is Super Furry Animals, who have a B-side catalogue about as good as their main album catalogue. It amazes me.

But this is a whole different point than what this thread is about.

And a final note, regardless of whether they make a "good" decision or not, it is often up to the artist, and that's how it should be. If Dylan didn't think BWM should be on Infidels...so be it. I respect his choice.

This has been a real interesting thread. Cool that Mrs. T chimed in.

The bottom line is that if JT doesn't want them out, then they shouldn't be out, of course. But I have to admit, that I love the Living Room Shows (and ST and all the other solo acoustic stuff available for audio digestion). I really love how JT's work translates to solo acoustic. And since I am an amatuer guitarist who plays nearly 100% solo acoustic in his own living room, I found a lot of musical inspiration and joy from this type of work.

So... perhaps I can lobby Mrs & Mr T to make more solo acoustic available - if not LRS, then perhaps something else. I, for one, will really, really miss it.

Wouldn't be a bad idea at this point to have a VC FAQ. Among other things:

"I tried to rank the Wilco albums, and someone told me I was WRONG. What's up with this highy messed up freak?"

Answer.

"On that note, why can't people seem to spell 'highly' correctly around here?"

Answer.

"Some rich farts had a private party with Jeff and are rubbing it my face, and now they have a CD of the show that I'm not good enough to hear. What gives?"

Answer.

Hilarious.

This has been a real interesting thread. Cool that Mrs. T chimed in.

The bottom line is that if JT doesn't want them out, then they shouldn't be out, of course. But I have to admit, that I love the Living Room Shows (and ST and all the other solo acoustic stuff available for audio digestion). I really love how JT's work translates to solo acoustic. And since I am an amatuer guitarist who plays nearly 100% solo acoustic in his own living room, I found a lot of musical inspiration and joy from this type of work.

So... perhaps I can lobby Mrs & Mr T to make more solo acoustic available - if not LRS, then perhaps something else. I, for one, will really, really miss it.

As far as I'm aware, Jeff's regular solo shows are still open to being distributed. These LRS shows are special exceptions, as you've probably gathered.

Really?!?! Cue Johnny Carson voice: "I did not know that." Like I said, I'm not hip to the actual names behind the screen names. Apologies for bringing this up then.

I respectfully disagree with the idea of certain shows being only accessable to certain people, but if them's the rules, them's the rules.

this is a particularly ironically funny post. srmt *loves* johnny carson.

i have attended a few of the LR shows, and i can't even listen to the recordings. we all sound like a bunch of rowdy annoying drunks. oh wait... :brow

this is a particularly ironically funny post. srmt *loves* johnny carson.

i have attended a few of the LR shows, and i can't even listen to the recordings. we all sound like a bunch of rowdy annoying drunks. oh wait... :brow

the recordings are more like evidence than entertainment.

Yes, I have been saying that off and on for years.

The White Stripes board has a pretty extensive FAQ, and it's very handy. I'm just sayin'...

I'm jealous of the people who saw the Beatles play on the roof at Abbey Road, but to resent any of them would be retarded.

I don't mean to nitpick, but they did not play on the roof at Abbey Road.

I don't mean to nitpick, but they did not play on the roof at Abbey Road.

How about, "the roof of Abbey Road studios"? Isn't that where they played?

And I think your above statement was the figurative definition of "nitpick". ;) Actual nitpicking is whole other matter which is no fun.

And I think your above statement was the figurative definition of "nitpick". ;) Actual nitpicking is whole other matter which is no fun.

After failing to agree on any other venue, the band settled for an unannounced concert atop their own building, Apple's headquarters in Savile Row near Piccadilly Circus.

Not Abbey Road, no.

As OTM and gogo have stated - no, that isn't where they played.

Abbey Road studios:

800px-Abbey_road_studios.jpg

3 Savile Row (Apple HQ), site of the rooftop concert:

400px-3_Savile_Row.jpg

Beatles 101. :rolleyes