Wilco -- 2009.06.12, Aronoff Center, Cincinnati, OH

Wilco was great, but perhaps the best part was dealing with the sitters. In the Loge, 3rd row I made up my mind that i wouldn't be swayed to sit by obnoxious "fans." Of course the biggest ass sits right behind me. He told me that i wasn't at a van halen concert and demanded i take a seat during the first song. I would have no part of it, stood my ground. Unless you play drums, keyboard, or have two broken legs i would suggest you not sit. These are rock concerts, not plays. I will not have some first timer tell me how to behave at a wilco concert. ha ha ha

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jesus Etc

Wilco was great, but perhaps the best part was dealing with the sitters. In the Loge, 3rd row I made up my mind that i wouldn't be swayed to sit by obnoxious "fans." Of course the biggest ass sits right behind me. He told me that i wasn't at a van halen concert and demanded i take a seat during the first song. I would have no part of it, stood my ground. Unless you play drums, keyboard, or have two broken legs i would suggest you not sit. These are rock concerts, not plays. I will not have some first timer tell me how to behave at a wilco concert. ha ha ha

Sit and spin.

Wow, that sucks and would probably ruin my experience. It'd be tough to enjoy myself knowing that there's a "concert ethics cop" behind me.

The 2 worst experiences I had were at the same venue: Agganis Arena at BU. 1. Pixies in 05- This couple gets in front of me and my friend. We're in the front row of the 2nd second floor section. So these people obviously aren't in their seats. I try tapping the girl's shoulder first since she was in front of me. Nothing. Than I look for the staff to help out or at least do a nod to this not-in-their-seat-couple. More tapping. I try speaking but it's too loud. So I start blowing at the back of her head. Well, this she felt since she spun around like the devil and threw her $5.00 water at me. So of course at this point the security comes over and she starts yelling at him about me and he starts to say, "come with me." To which I try to tell him, "check my tickets and than check theirs...we're in the 1st row of this section..." So finally he notices that they're in the wrong and than he takes them away. It was a total deliberate invasion of space. She was in a position much like one's girlfriend would be. Her ass was in my crotch when she danced. Normally I guess I wouldn't mind given the situation but there wasn't even a foot between us and she was there with her boyfriend. :pirate I couldn't move and the PIxies already played Subbacultcha, so that ruled out any fantasy that would have manifested. :lol

2. Duran Duran 08 - I get to the venue late due to a subway accident. So I finally get to my seat 3 songs in and these 2 obnoxious mid 30 year old women start screaming at me that I'm "not in the right seat...this is our seat...get the fuck out of here...obvously not 'spose' to be here..." I try to explain to them that I have the aisle seat and show them my ticket. They avoid me but somehow manage to tell me "they're gonna go get the cops" and at the same time one of them is gone to go get security. So I just said fuck off and watched the show from the concession area. I was so pissed. If I had a view, I'd kill. :realmad

Good luck to people seeing shows this summer,

Kristofor

PS I should point out that I'm a fairly big guy...6'4'' 280lbs. I guess I look like someone who won't snap at someone? But than again showing up to Duran Duran by yourself. :dontgetit

After you're finished patting yourself on the back for sticking one to the man, maybe you should take a moment to consider that some people specifically buy loge or balcony seats so they don't have to deal with assholes standing up in front of them.

After you're finished patting yourself on the back for sticking one to the man, maybe you should take a moment to consider that some people specifically buy loge or balcony seats so they don't have to deal with assholes standing up in front of them.

well, that may be true, but i bought my tickets through the fan club and that's where i wound up. i hope he remembers my ass. buy the dvd and stay home if you're gonna be upset that people stand. I WILL NEVER SIT AT WILCO

Good for you!

I was on crutches this time b/c of knee surgery - stood for the whole show in the Orchestra Level. Somebody came up to me afterward (when mercifully I was able to take a seat) and said it made their night to see me hoisting my crutches in the air during the rockin' parts of "Spiders". Crowd-wise, it was the most fun Wilco show (out of five to date) that I've been to.

You purposely blocked someone's view and then came on here just to brag about. Sure sounds like you are the obnoxious one. Then again, it's Cincinnati. What did I expect?

My fourth Wilco since Summerteeth tour in 1999. After witnessing close to 300 performances from clubs to arenas over 40 years, I'd rank the June 12 Aronoff performance by Wilco in my Top 10 all time. Being front row right, directly in front of Sansone, certainly enhanced (clouded?) this perception. A close buddy from Philly who flew in to experience this band for the first time, and really knows music from Mozart to Miles, concluded this was the best display of ensemble musical virtuosity he's ever heard from a rock band. To him, it was like seeing exceptional jazz musicians who individually are playing interesting, engaging, enthralling stuff that somehow meshes into a transcedent and harmonic (or harmonically discordant) whole. I couldn't agree more.

Reviewer Bill Thompson in Cincinnati Enquirer did the band justice. I took issue only with the observation that Pat Sanson plays "occasional" guitar. Again, my take was influenced by leaning on the stage with my chin nearly resting on Pat's monitor, but I knew this coming in: Sansone is vastly underrated or under-appreciated for his musicianship and what he brings to Wilco now. (Glad to hear someone else say Cline was mixed too low, Tweedy's guitars a bit too high...I thought same, but again assumed I was hearing Sansone much louder than most in the theater.)

To me, this was the emergence of Sansone as one of the most interesting, engaging and accomplished musicians I've ever experienced. Many overlook, for instance, what he contributes to "Impossible Germany"...even the popular YouTube video from the loft virtually ignores him. His fills and rhythms are impressive, and I love the way he hits various rock god poses. On one number he dropped his pick, kept fingering intricate fills without missing a beat until he could get back to his amp for another pick. Not to mention the fact that he looks to be about 16 and I just learned he's nearly 40.

Other notes: Tweedy looked pleased more often than I've notice before, although he still slips into those frozen stares that might scare the uninitiated or small children. I'm pleased that a Cincinnati audience could give the band the kind of response that (I hope) will bring them back again and again, but this 11:00 curfew (if that is indeed true, and I can confirm it tomorrow) sucks big time. Without it, I might have finally experienced "Via Chicago"...made up for by finally hearing "California Stars"...a thrill for me. I liked all the new tunes, but "Sonny Feeling" sent me running for a pee break. (And sent my wife running for vodka refills.) Jeff's showmanship on "Hummingbird" was the kind of "That's entertainment!" shtick that converts new fans. loved it. Confirm that the "community service" man in front was stoned-face throughout...I thought quite highly of Tweedy for reaching out to this guy to have him strum away on Spiders/Kidsmoke...I see a future tune called "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me (Despite That Plug In Your Arse)."

Two days later, I'm still buzzing from this Wilco show...which all but erased my buzz from seeing Lucinda Williams in the fine Madison Theatre on June 10. Makes me want to hit road for Bonnaroo.

And...the new PNC Pavilion at Riverbend in Cincinnati is the perfect outdoor venue. Was intended for bands like Wilco. Dylan played there in inaugural season last summer. Seats 5,000, steeply raked seats, excellent acoustics...by no means your typical shed. I suggest the boys return for a cool, clear starlit evening in September.

You purposely blocked someone's view and then came on here just to brag about. Sure sounds like you are the obnoxious one. Then again, it's Cincinnati. What did I expect?

I'm amazed that this guy is getting praised on here. If the guy was a douche to you, then go ahead and stand, but if he politely asked you, then you're an ass for being proud of standing anyway.

You just ripped on an entire city - now who's obnoxious?

I'm amazed that this guy is getting praised on here. If the guy was a douche to you, then go ahead and stand, but if he politely asked you, then you're an ass for being proud of standing anyway.

I think that when you buy a ticket for a rock concert you do so with the understanding that you might have to stand to be able to see the stage. I also think that if you go to a rock concert hoping to sit through the whole thing - and get your wish - then you just went to a pretty mediocre concert.

I'm not a very tall guy - I've gone to some shows where I could barely see even when I stood. It's something that you just understand is part of being in that setting. The key is to take the corn cob out of your rear end and find a way to enjoy the show.

I agree that you have to know that it could happen, but the way he said that, and boasted about it, really bothered me.

I wasn't there, but if the sitting guy politely asked, and got shot down, then I think that's a douche move to keep standing, and feel good about it. I'm all for enjoying yourself at concerts, but I'm also a fan of general consideration for others. If someone asked me to sit down, I'd do it, unless it fucks up my own view.

I didn't take a great camera with me, just my iPhone... so I'm not going to bore you with my pics, but I had a great time. I just now got the hearing back in my left ear because I was sitting right under Nels by the left side amps... ouch. :blink

I almost had a douchebag incident as well, but I switched places with my wife so things didn't get out of hand. It's funny how sitting in the second row, I was still surrounded by A-holes and people who didn't seem like Wilco fans.

I'm pleased that a Cincinnati audience could give the band the kind of response that (I hope) will bring them back again and again, but this 11:00 curfew (if that is indeed true, and I can confirm it tomorrow) sucks big time.

Is that what happened? I saw the roadie come out of stage right and whisper to Jeff that I'm a Wheel was going to have to be the last song and wondered WTF was up. They looked like they were ready to go for another five songs, then an abrupt stop.

but "Sonny Feeling" sent me running for a pee break. (And sent my wife running for vodka refills.)

I'm glad I wasn't the only person who felt this way. I knew the crowd must not have been into it after the "you'll like it next year" crack.

I'm glad I wasn't the only person who felt this way. I knew the crowd must not have been into it after the "you'll like it next year" crack.

It's weird. That's one song on the album I still haven't quite gotten into yet, but I liked it better at the show than I have so far on my iPod.

It's weird. That's one song on the album I still haven't quite gotten into yet, but I liked it better at the show than I have so far on my iPod.

FWIW.. Friday night was the first that I heard anything off the new album and I remember thinking about 'Sunny Feelings': "This song is maybe kinda sorta okay but if this is one of the only three or four they're featuring of the new album then methinks the new album might need a shot in the arm."

I almost had a douchebag incident as well, but I switched places with my wife so things didn't get out of hand. It's funny how sitting in the second row, I was still surrounded by A-holes and people who didn't seem like Wilco fans.

no, those are the 'other' Wilco fans that aren't moved to stand and show their appreciation/excitement for the band

Why is it so frowned upon for someone to sit at a concert? The way this forum is making it seem, you're not enjoying the show unless you're on your feet the whole time. Not everyone shows excitement the same way. I can enjoy the show just as much sitting down as somebody else standing up. I don't think the band looks out at the crowd, sees people sitting down, and feels like they aren't being a good enough live act. Let people enjoy the show however they want to. Someone sitting isn't possibly a problem to the people around them, so who cares?

Sheesh.

I sat during "Side With The Seeds" in Cincy and every other time I've heard it.

Why is it so frowned upon for someone to sit at a concert? The way this forum is making it seem, you're not enjoying the show unless you're on your feet the whole time. Not everyone shows excitement the same way. I can enjoy the show just as much sitting down as somebody else standing up. I don't think the band looks out at the crowd, sees people sitting down, and feels like they aren't being a good enough live act. Let people enjoy the show however they want to. Someone sitting isn't possibly a problem to the people around them, so who cares?

Sheesh.

I think the point is you can't have both sitters and standers. The standers could give a shit less unless the sitters are squawking at them.

I'm a "stander" and think sitting at concerts is just wrong on many levels (unless there's like a medical reason to do so).

That being said, if you're in a section with seating and everyone around you is sitting and YOU decide to stand, ignoring their requests for you to sit down like everyone else - then you're the douchebag, not them.