Song you want played at your funeral

I could go with any Sigur Ros song here, so long as it culminated with Popplagid (Untitled #8). But the top song on my list is Motion Picture Soundtrack from Kid A. I don't actively listen to it much now because I so strongly associate it with my own death.

Bruce Springsteen --- Across the Border

Intro: Golden - My Morning Jacket (Live Acoustic Version)

All Things Must Pass - Concert For George (Paul McCartney)

He's Gone - Grateful Dead (Europe '72)

Outro: Sleepwalk - Santo & Johny

All subject to change =P

Not so morbid - hopefully very far off for all of us!!!

Not wanting to leave the music at my funeral to the layman, here is my setlist that I have already committed to a CD and is sitting with my will:

Our Prayer- Beach Boys

Pure and Easy-The Who

The Kid- Crycrycry

Eagle and the Hawk- John Denver

And I love Her- Beatles

Forever- Dennis Wilson/Beach Boys

Beautiful Boy- Lennon (for my son)

Sara-Fleetwood Mac- daughter is named after this song

My Sweet Lady-John Denver -To my wife

Jesus Etc. -Wilco

House at Pooh Corner- Loggins and Messina

old Friends/Bookends- Simon and Garfunkel

Til I Die- Beach Boys

Nannys Song- Susan Cowsill

God Only Knows- Beach Boys-because if there was a god, this song is proof

Love Reign o'er me- The Who

Wow, bunch of fellow Deadheads on this thread. Cool!

My list includes Brokedown Palace too, and has for years. The rest of the list is as follows:

Lord of the Starfields - Bruce Cockburn

When I'm Gone - Phil Ochs

Get Together - The Youngbloods

... and two poems:

Crossing the Bar - Tennyson

Song (Piping down the valleys wild...) - Blake

I'm not currently dying that I know of and it's kind of morbid but:

Is there a more beautiful song than Brokedown Palace, 1972 Grateful dead? That might be my choice right now.

hahah, i feel the same way towards this song. i'd also like The Doors' L.A. Woman to be played as well as a Johnny Cash hymnal (Where the Soul of Man Never Dies?) and maybe 1-2 more to be decided on later.

I've had dreams about "Forever Young" or "I Shall Be Released" playing, so Richard and Bob I guess.

I've had dreams about "Forever Young" or "I Shall Be Released" playing, so Richard and Bob I guess.

I thought about "I shall be released" but figured it's more about getting out of prison than death. Still a good choice though.

We've had similar threads before and I've always enjoyed them. I think I'd like to have mostly bluegrass/country gospel songs.

Ain't No Grave Gonna Hold My Body Down

Will the circle be unbroken - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

I'll fly away - Alison Krauss & Gillian Welch

In my time of dying - John Mellencamp or Bob Dylan

I am a pilgrim - The Byrds

Uncloudy Day - Michelle Shocked

Down To The River To Pray - Alison Krauss

Amazing Grace played on bagpipes at the grave site, followed by New Orleans style dixieland jazz funeral songs while people are leaving.

Has anyone actually ever heard a rock song played at a memorial/funeral service and it was a moving experience? I never have - but I imagine it's happened, so I'm curious.

My feelings too. I think the only way it would work is if you were a rock artist and the song was played at your funeral OR the actual artist who recorded the song played it at your funeral.

I was at a funeral a few months ago and someone sang "Amazing Grace" but Michael Boltoned it all up. Many people were moved, and the singer did very well, technically. I was left biting my tongue to avoid laughing at the overwrought experience.

Has anyone actually ever heard a rock song played at a memorial/funeral service and it was a moving experience? I never have - but I imagine it's happened, so I'm curious.

George Harrison sort of impromptu played Carl Perkins' "Your True Love" at Carl Perkins' funeral. It's on Youtube, methinks.

The GD tune mentioned earlier I heard at a funeral and it was very moving. more of a ballad, though, by a "Rock" band.

I have thought more so... I think I will add "Via Chicago" because it's such a beautiful song and when we pass, we are seaching for a new home...

So My List As of Today...

Broken Down Palace

Ripple

Check Your Tears At The Door

Via Chicago

California Stars (the more i listen, it is up there with ripple, it has to be played when i leave this earth) :worship

Recently at my mama's, my aunt sung one called "When Morning Comes"... which was perfect for the situtation, for her, not sure who sings it but it was perfect.

My dad made a cassette which included "My Farewell Party"... he died in the 80's so he missed out on so much music, but I didn't care for it. I wonder if that tape is still around, I'd like to listen to the rest of it. Anyways...

George Harrison sort of impromptu played Carl Perkins' "Your True Love" at Carl Perkins' funeral. It's on Youtube, methinks.

Yeah, that doesn't really count here.

It's just odd to see all of these shout-outs for songs that people want played at their funerals, because 99% of the time, it won't be happening.

I guess I'm biased - I was at a funeral once where 'Within You Without You' by The Beatles was played, because the deceased had apparently mentioned it once (in this type of forum) - and it was just weird for all involved.

3 songs immediately come to mind:

Every Grain Of Sand - Bob Dylan

Into the Mystic - Van Morrison

What A Wonderful World - Louis B. Armstrong

I kind of agree with the sentiment that the original song themselves may not evoke what I'm trying to communicate with these songs.

I think the following arrangements might translate quite well:

Every Grain Of Sand - two guitars - one electric like the orginal song playing the same part, one classic guitar playing the vocal notes - and the original harp solo

Into the Mystic - Dixieland arrangement - adding a violinist to play the vocal part (on second thought, not sure if this would work, but I love this song so much it has to be played at my memorial service)

What A Wonderful World - played solely by a trumpet, almost taps like but the lyrics to the song (which most people would be familar with) would counter balance the tapslike arrangment

What A Wonderful World is the same song that my wife danced with her father (since deceased) at our wedding. I like the idea of her connecting the song to both of us together in the great beyond.

Yeah, that doesn't really count here.

It's just odd to see all of these shout-outs for songs that people want played at their funerals, because 99% of the time, it won't be happening.

I guess I'm biased - I was at a funeral once where 'Within You Without You' by The Beatles was played, because the deceased had apparently mentioned it once (in this type of forum) - and it was just weird for all involved.

Yeah, more and more I think The New Orleans second line is the way to go.

They played Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" at my cousin's funeral, if I remember correctly. It was probably 1988 and he died young. I've heard several contemporary country songs played at funerals. Didn't do anything for me, but some of the families appreciated the songs.