Michael Jackson..RIP

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dude was raised a Jehovah Witness, and then converted to Islam (so I have heard). Is that true?

Not too clear on level of commitment or nature of conversion to Islam, but that seems to be story we're hearing. Either way, the way many people describe his impact seems to have all kinds of religious valences.

After looking at some of the art and other things from the auction that was to take place a while back, I'd say he at least somewhat viewed himself as Christ like.

Definitely, and saw himself in terms of "victim"--I think that theme is covered in recent essay in WSJ.

I overheard two little girls (6 or 7 years old maybe) talking about MJ yesterday. They were reeling off song titles and what he wore in certain videos, and then one says, "Hey, remember the video for 'Smooth Criminal?" At first I thought it was unusual for kids their age to know these things, but then I realized I knew most of Elvis' work at the time of his death, which was a month before my seventh birthday.

First off, can we stop calling him MJ? MJ to me is and always will be Michael Jordan. Michael Jackson is Michael Jackson or Jacko, but never MJ.

exactly - they're my initials!. last time i checked, i was still alive!

• 11 months later...

Flipping around the tv last night late night I ran across some show that dedicated itself to his relationship with his chimp. Although it looked really fascinating, I opted for "QVC Casket Discounts Featuring Larry King."