Michael Jackson..RIP

Having worked with sexually abused children, I have the deepest sympathy, sensitivity, and defensiveness for anyone who has been abused in any form, and I have complex and mixed feelings about those who were molested and then went on to molest others.

I wish I could find some black and white moral stance on it all that would provide me peace and solace, but rarely does anyone who knows someone or was sexually assaulted themselves (as children) find total peace on this side of heaven.

It's hard not to look at Michael and his family when they were adorable kids and not be heartbroken by the idea that his parents messed them up for life. I think of some of the young victims I have known and worked with and it's difficult for me to ever think, that even if they were to commit the most dispicable of acts, I would still not be influenced by their traumatic events. I think that's how I've always approached my judgment of Michael Jackson. I can't condone his sins but I also can't condemn him either.

All the same, I can't condemn those who feel intense judgment and condemnation against the man. But for those who do not share my ambivalance in judging him, please do not ever mistake my empathy and reservations as endorsing the man's life and the legacy he left as a person outside of music.

Aside from all that, my first childhood hero has died. It does feel like a part of my childhood just went away.

i don't think it can be put any better than that...

thank you :cheers

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having worked with sexually abused children, I have the deepest sympathy, sensitivity, and defensiveness for anyone who has been abused in any form, and I have complex and mixed feelings about those who were molested and then went on to molest others.

I wish I could find some black and white moral stance on it all that would provide me peace and solace, but rarely does anyone who knows someone or was sexually assaulted themselves (as children) find total peace on this side of heaven.

It's hard not to look at Michael and his family when they were adorable kids and not be heartbroken by the idea that his parents messed them up for life. I think of some of the young victims I have known and worked with and it's difficult for me to ever think, that even if they were to commit the most dispicable of acts, I would still not be influenced by their traumatic events. I think that's how I've always approached my judgment of Michael Jackson. I can't condone his sins but I also can't condemn him either.

All the same, I can't condemn those who feel intense judgment and condemnation against the man. But for those who do not share my ambivalance in judging him, please do not ever mistake my empathy and reservations as endorsing the man's life and the legacy he left as a person outside of music.

Aside from all that, my first childhood hero has died. It does feel like a part of my childhood just went away.

Right on. Beautifully put.

I hope he will be remembered for the totality of the things he did in his life, including the amazing music he produced back in the day. We shouldn't gloss over the aspects, but we also shouldn't ignore how amazing he was as an entertainer. I still love the "Smooth Criminal" video. How did he lean like that and not fall over?!

And people forget how truly loved he was all over the WORLD... in fact he's loved in many countries WAY more than he ever was in America.

when people claim that music or musicians can't change or have an impact on the world, i'd like to think you could point to MJ's musical career (before any of the weird shit) and claim otherwise

I am strangely neither surprised nor moved by this news.

Yeah, ditto that here. Jackson was more tabloid fixture than artist for the last two decades, so it almost makes sense that there'd be such spectacle surrounding his death. It's sad, to be sure, but he always had a sort of doomed dimension to him. RIP, Michael.

He was a pedophile who got away with it because he was rich. He could have written the national anthem and he'd still deserve to burn in hell.

I, for one, can only wonder at the hell that his life had become. He hated himself so much, he basically had his face removed.

I pass no judgement for his failings, he is beyond anybody's censure, no matter how appropriate.

Whatever Michael Jackson did or didn't do in his troubled life, nothing will change the fact that I took a single sequined glove of my mother's and hid it under the bathroom sink to pretend I was him in the mirror when I was ten.

Just another reason why I :wub you.

I grew up listening to Michael. 'Thriller' was one of my 1st treasured vinyls. I WAS part of the MTV generation. Michael started my true love for the art of music and I will always be grateful for that.

Rest In Peace

its so crazy how news like this travels. i was picking a friend up way out in the ol' back roads of rural NC at 5:30 when his dad, who was sitting out on his front porch smoking a cigarette, told me of the news. they don't even have the internet or cable.

i think its pretty safe to say that MJ played a role, no matter how big or small, in all of our lives. hope his family, friends and fans are doing well tonight.

I wish I was just a little older and had a chance to judge him without the scope of the allegations and charges ultimately coloring my perception of him, it took me a long time to appreciate his music, because of it. I still hope somewhere he finds his peace.

--Mike

Well said.Wondeful words.My first words today when I heard about his death were "Poor little boy!".

Anyways ,he give us probably one of the best records of the history.

Heck of a dancer. Never a big fan of the tunes - a bit over wrought, over produced, not really my thing. I saw him as more an entertainer than an artist. Millions and millions loved him, so there was something there.

RIP MJ.

I love the stuff with his brothers in that video.

Not sure why they felt he needed to lip-synch "Billie Jean"...

I think it was more the backing music that had to be piped in. I think he used major backing tapes on all his tours from that point forward. Shame with the amount of talent that he had in his one finger that he failed to perform live for like the last 10+ years of his life.

I always pictured him have a comeback with him doing like an MTV style unplugged...that would have been epic.

I as looking forward to see if he could have pulled of the 50 gig thing in London but I guess not to be.

I was seven in 1982 and Thriller was the first LP that I ever bought. My first argument about music was with my best friend at the time. I insisted that Beat It was a better song than Billy Jean. He took the other side of the debate. (Hundreds of?) thousands of LPs and CDs and arguments (with and without beer) later, I still have that first LP. I took it out last night and held it for a little while. RIP, Michael.

I never followed him all that closely and underappreciated him probably until Ian Brown took Billie Jean & Thriller and made them his own. That led to a little reminiscence and there's always the drunken conversations at late night parties - 'Earthsong, what the fvck?'....'Yeah, but Off The Wall is still a classic', etc. etc.

I just remember being allowed to watch the Thriller video after my mum & dad had to discuss whether it would be too scary for me!

He led his life like Benjamin Button. He was born an adult - there's no way a kid should have been able to pull off stuff like "I Want You Back", "I'll Be There," or "Never Can Say Goodbye". Then, as others have said, as he "grew up" he tried to live the childhood he never had when he was young. I believe he truly had lost his mind but he lived a life none of the rest of us could ever comprehend. That doesn't forgive the things he did but he could certainly make a truly convincing case for pleading insanity for just about everything that happened to him.

His talent was monstrous. Huge. Unbelievable. His performance of Billy Jean on the Motown Anniversary special is still having reverberations today.

RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWfVyBtuYWY&NR=1I want you back

I'll always remember Michael as this little kid. It was hard to reconcile the deep weirdness that followed with this little fellow I grew up with.

Same sentiments here. The Jackson 5 played in Fort Wayne in the summer of 1971, when I was 15 and that makes Michael Jackson age 12 at the time. Somehow we ended up in the first 5 rows stage front at the big coliseum here, and Michael Jackson was so adorable and charming on stage (by age 12, of course, he was already a professional entertainer), and so obviously gifted - the little star who was destined for so much more. But I never expected the weirdness. It was very sad to watch him and his fame turn so devastating over the years, but I'm sure glad I had that early experience. RIP Michael.

His performance of Billy Jean on the Motown Anniversary special is still having reverberations today.

Confession time: Did anyone else around here try to moonwalk after watching the Motown special?

Confession time: Did anyone else around here try to moonwalk after watching the Motown special?

Still try it at weddings and such like...a nice shiny floor, body filled with wine, beer & shots....Billie Jean comes on, you gotta give it a go! :)

His performance of Billy Jean on the Motown Anniversary special is still having reverberations today.

You must be talking about the dancing/moonwalk, because to my ears, he was merely lip-synching to the album cut.