Wilco's Favorite Venue 6/27/2009 Berkeley, CA

In the words of Jeff Tweedy "This is our favorite place in the world to play"

Just back for the Greek show, it was a real winner for sure. I just had to log in to start the thread. Much more to come. I got some great pictures of Nels, Spencer in his head to toe Tie-Dye outfit and Jeff lying down on the stage extending his guitar so the kid who was second in line could strum it during Spiders.

Wow, what a show, but now some rest.

We had a lot of fun at this show and the band played great! I especially appreciated them doing "Box Full of Letters." The guitar duel at the end between Nels and Pat was hugely entertaining.

My only rant for the show were the three young women next to me who insisted on talking LOUDLY over the music most of the night. They only shut up long enough to frequently check their cell phones for text messages. Of course, they have to hold them up high for everyone to see. The glow of a cell phone is so annoying. What a distraction, why go to the show in the first place? Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

Here was the setlist, as played, for Berkeley:

--"The Price is Right" theme music intro--

Wilco (the song)

Muzzle of Bees

A Shot in the Arm

At Least That's What You Said

Bull Black Nova

You Are My Face

Deeper Down

IATTBYH

One Wing

Radio Cure

Impossible Germany

California Stars

Can't Stand It

Jesus, etc.

Handshake Drugs

Hate It Here

Walken

I'm The Man Who Loves You

---------------------

You Never Know

The Late Greats

Box Full of Letters

Misunderstood>

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Hoodoo Voodoo

And I have to say, Spencer looked great in tie dye! :lol :thumbup

Absolutely amazing. My first time seeing Wilco besides catching part of their set at Outside Lands last year. This was MUCH better as well.

These guys invented stage presence; I've never been to a show that incited more smiles than this one. Great setlist, great show, great experience.

A few of us here listened to the concert over the internet from Wilcoworld. The connection was choppy but the band sounded great. Unfortunately the webcast went completely dead in the middle of "Spiders" and never came back on. Also, we were simultaneously checking out some live photos of the concert being posted to Twitter. All in all, a thoroughly postmodern listening experience. (There's a thread here in the "Just a Fan" forum devoted to the event if you're interested in reading 15 pages of internet users clapping along on their computers.)

Wow what an evening! At a certain point, I looked back at the crowd from the second steps above the pit (thanks to "the gardners" the ultimate seat finders :cheekkiss ), and that Olde Greek Theatre was moving just like at a Dead Show in the 80's :dancing . So no doubt Spencer "got it"! I brought some folks who had never seen Wilco and they were amazed. One of them commented on the diversity of the fans which was so beautiful to see. Parents with their kids, SF/Oaklandia hipsters and Berkeley hippies loved that. The band definitely turned it up a notch last night. Thanks for posting the set list bbop it was so solid and inspired I really can't pick a favorite moment. Getting to see Nels this close the last two nights was a real treat. One nature note,the moon setting over The City as we crossed the bridge was remarkably beautiful.Perfect evening... amazing weather,great band at the top of there game, respectful fans around us, and seeing my music loving friends so happy at the end of the evening...could not of asked for more. :wub

In the words of Jeff Tweedy "This is our favorite place in the world to play"

Just back for the Greek show, it was a real winner for sure. I just had to log in to start the thread. Much more to come. I got some great pictures of Nels, Spencer in his head to toe Tie-Dye outfit and Jeff lying down on the stage extending his guitar so the kid who was second in line could strum it during Spiders.

Wow, what a show, but now some rest.

Hi silsurf! Hey, that was our family, second in line starting at about noon. That was a great day, even the waiting around. We would love it if you could send or post the picture of Jamie strumming. We were sitting back by the sound board, so we didn't get much of a photo.

Hi silsurf! Hey, that was our family, second in line starting at about noon. That was a great day, even the waiting around. We would love it if you could send or post the picture of Jamie strumming. We were sitting back by the sound board, so we didn't get much of a photo.

Good for you! From my vantage point 10 feet away, that was a truly great moment in Wilco (and my personal concert-going) history! If Jamie doesn't grow up to be a musician, I'll be surprised. I was happy to see Wilco, all fame and accolades aside, hasn't lost their soul or connection with the audience. After seeing them many times, thought this was one of their better shows...but then again, has anyone ever seen a bad Wilco show?! Ditto on the comment about the Dead shows of the 80s and the spirit of the crowd...Much more sober crowd, however, so perhaps it's even more significant? Finally...you know you're at a Wilco show when the folks leaning up against the stage barrier are playing Scrabble while they wait! Oh yeah and Okkervil River was great too! Hope the gentleman "Don Henley fan" who fell down and had to leave is ok...

Loved the show, killer set list but I have to say this is the first time i've encountered a large number of very rude people at a Wilco show. I don't know if it was the venue being sold out (which was quite a sight) or something else but it kind of took me out of the moment to encounter people being so rude. I suppose thats part of the deal as the band gets more popular.

Fifth Wilco show and first at the Greek At Berkeley. I can see why Jeff called it the band's favourite place to play. The group of four I was with concurred that this version of the band only seems to get better. Musically they were close to flawless, Jeff's voice was really strong and perhaps best of all the band was all smiles and clearly loved playing the Greek. They came on at 8.45 and left the stage just before the curfew at eleven. Jeff kept the banter to a minimum until commenting on a injured/messed up person. He went to comment that playing the Greek that he is caught between wanting to play as many songs as possible and getting to know the audience. I didn't think the crowd fully responded until he opted for more of the latter. Songs for me that I loved were "Hate it Here", "You Are My Face", "Spiders", "Hoodoo Voodoo" with the guitar duel-off between Pat and Nels and perhaps best of all my first time live hearing "I Can't Stand It". A song whose studio version has always passed my by the cracking version last night left me with a massive smile on my face. All the new songs were great too especially "You"ll Never Know" and "One Wing". Hearing them live made me realise how tightly constructed all these songs are. I think "One Wing" is a perfect musical and emotional accompaniment to "Impossible Germany". This was all part of a great weekend in the Bay Area seeing some wonderful friends. Thanks Wilco and fingers crossed you play Seattle and Portland dates in the not-too-distant future.

Finally...you know you're at a Wilco show when the folks leaning up against the stage barrier are playing Scrabble while they wait!

haha. I was the one playing Scrabble with two of my friends. Great way to kill time since we were in line from 3:00.

What an amazing show. Was able to get front row in front of John. Energy was nuts up front.

Got my hands on a setlist. Check out the second encore!! Damn curfew.

http://twitpic.com/8nndq

haha. I was the one playing Scrabble with two of my friends. Great way to kill time since we were in line from 3:00.

What an amazing show. Was able to get front row in front of John. Energy was nuts up front.

Whoa...that would have been smokin'...Maybe that's why the show seemed like it might not be over (though in all finality...it was).

I can't believe they cut hummingbird in the interest of time. I feel cheated!! :no Tweedy said they'd be back... I'm hoping that means soon!

Okkervil River was fantastic. It took them a while, but they finally got everyone to pay attention.

Spencer in full glory

P1020088_800.jpg

Jamie Wails on Spiders

P1020098_800.jpg

Go Jamie!

P1020101_800.jpg

(Jamie's folks, please email me for full quality images)

Hi Silsurf, sorry I can't get your email from this board, it's private, at least to me. You can mail to me, gapowerz AT gmail DOT com.

Thanks, the pictures are great!

Loved the show, killer set list but I have to say this is the first time i've encountered a large number of very rude people at a Wilco show. I don't know if it was the venue being sold out (which was quite a sight) or something else but it kind of took me out of the moment to encounter people being so rude. I suppose thats part of the deal as the band gets more popular.

Completely agree, Patrick. I'm sure the show at the Greek was great on Saturday, but our group could barely hear any of Jeff's singing due to the two maniacs behind us literally bellowing the words to every song. They seemed especially intent on yelling the words to the songs from the new album, I guess to prove that they knew them...? Yes, we get it, you love Wilco. We all do, very much; that's why we're here. They also screamed back at Jeff during all of his onstage banter (and we were in the fourth row of the tiered seats so there was no way he could have heard them) and yelled back and forth at one another nonstop between songs. They were obviously superfans, which I can appreciate, but they were completely out of control. At one point they spilled a beer onto my friend's back, and they kicked two of my friends repeatedly during the show (and then denied that that was even possible, even though they were the only ones behind us).

I turned around probably twenty times to catch their eye and either give them pointed looks or politely ask them to lower their voices, but they pretended I wasn't even there staring at them and continued to bellow. And because of the steepness of the rows, I would have had to stand up to get in their faces, which as a lady I was not comfortable doing. I'm sure they ruined the show for more than just me and my friends.

So as a warning, if you're ever at a general admission Wilco show and see a tubby, bearded red-haired guy and a clean-shaven dark-haired guy with their girlfriends/wives, stay far, far away unless you'd rather hear them than Jeff. They were bragging - loudly, of course - about being at the Saratoga show and heading to Stateline after Saturday. I feel for the folks who had to sit anywhere near these douchebags.

I may have seen better wilco shows (this one was up there!), but I'm not sure I've heard jeff's voice sound better.

I really loved the venue, my first time there. I traveled from nyc for it, and was bring along/seeing the show with a lot of folks who were seeing them from the first time, we ended up being a group of 10 or so... so I had to settle for being up in the tiered seats... and contrary to others, I was actually surprised at how well-behaved the crowd was... in fact, while attentive and singing along, they were a bit sedate for my tastes, I wanted to get up and dance! and everybody around us seemed to want to mostly want to sit.

Jamie was a model concert-goer and gig neighbor, and he didn't seem to break a sweat under pressure. Also, that may be the first time I've heard the solo in "Spiders" described as "tasteful" by the songwriter himself.

I'm not a huge fan of the Greek Theatre, but the energy level was undeniably off the charts on Saturday night. After the Saratoga debacle, Berkeley really did feel like home (again).

Back from the Berkeley-Tahoe vacation (!)and had to respond to the Greek discussion. I have seen every Wilco tour in a variety of venues but never the Greek. I totally enjoyed it - despite the two idiots who put up a fight with us for the spaces they were saving for their "friends"(who turned out to be imaginary). The band was spot-on and as mentioned before Jeff's vocals haven't sounded this good in many years. Great set list (Radio Cure was a fav for me) and the vibe of the crowd was awesome. After returning to SF after the Tahoe show (now there's a crappy venue), stopped into a spot I always visit in North Beach, the infamous Vesuvio. As we were walking out to head to the airport, I overhear the bartender say something about Wilco and then "never again at the Greek." Well, I would go back in a heartbeat and you can stand right next to me because my imaginary friends are always on time!