Wilco (The Album) or Sky Blue Sky?

148 members have voted

1. 1. Which album from this lineup of Wilco do you prefer?

• Sky Blue Sky
    • Wilco (The Album)

At this point SBS but it is close. Both records have nice high points for me however they both have several of Wilco's worst songs as well. Those will not grow on me. A lot of the reviews I have been reading have nicely described what I have felt about this record for what thats worth. Some kind of weird validation I guess.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm gonna go with this

My initial listen is W(TA). I will say after seeing them in Tucson I did expect much more on the album. Live they were much more heavy and energetic than the album portrays. I hope they keep that energy up in their upcoming shows. Maybe a live version of the album will tell much more also:)

My Being There/Summerteeth theory has more to do with overall perception/reception both on VC and critically rather than individual opinions. I understand there are people that like those two records more than anything the band has put out. But generally YHF is considered to be the band's pinnacle (it did win the greatest album of all time poll on VC last year), and I think that almost anything that came after it might be seen as a slight disappointment by some. So perhaps I should rephrase my question: do you think people would be more appreciative of Sky Blue Sky and Wilco The Album if they were the follow ups to say AM? instead of the BT, ST, YHF, AGIB run?

Random notes:

I happen to like ELT, but it is one of the few songs on that album-- Can't Stand It and the single re-mix of A Shot In The Arm that's production sounds very "90's Adult-Alternative radio" to my ears, and that's the one I picked as an example of reviewers going after.

Being There is an album I like more everytime I listen to it, I've even caught myself not skipping the Sesame Street Outtasite, every now and then.

--Mike

My Being There/Summerteeth theory has more to do with overall perception/reception both on VC and critically rather than individual opinions. I understand there are people that like those two records more than anything the band has put out. But generally YHF is considered to be the band's pinnacle (it did win the greatest album of all time poll on VC last year), and I think that almost anything that came after it might be seen as a slight disappointment by some. So perhaps I should rephrase my question: do you think people would be more appreciative of Sky Blue Sky and Wilco The Album if they were the follow ups to say AM? instead of the BT, ST, YHF, AGIB run?

Random notes:

I happen to like ELT, but it is one of the few songs on that album-- Can't Stand It and the single re-mix of A Shot In The Arm that's production sounds very "90's Adult-Alternative radio" to my ears, and that's the one I picked as an example of reviewers going after.

Being There is an album I like more everytime I listen to it, I've even caught myself not skipping the Sesame Street Outtasite, every now and then.

--Mike

an emphatic yes to your question.

Random notes:

--Mike

I'm not sure how SBS or W(TA) would have been percieved after A.M. Most surely it would be better. But I still think people would have gotten a similar vibe from the records....that being that the albums are pretty good with amazing moments, but maybe a little too much blandness.

I agree with Being There. I can't really explain its greatness, but it just SOUNDS right. It's laid back and comfortable, yet feels edgy and different and unique. Same with Summerteeth. The diversitly and layers on Summerteeth are rewarded over and over with multiple listens. And the lyrics are very interesting and draw you in.

YHF was an album I could not stop listening for a solid year. I thought it was the best record EVER. But it's really lost its listen-ability over time for me. I still like it a lot, but don't think the songs are as strong as BT and Summerteeth and it just sounds a little cold now.

SBS and W(TA) sound much more warm and human than YHF, which is a good thing. But they also seem to lack the life that existed on A.M., Being There and Summerteeth.

(That probably makes no sense, but it does to me, so I will not edit.)

Guest Francis X. Hummel

I think Foxtrot raised a lot of our bars to a point where Wilco may never hit them again.

Absolute truth for me personally. I've been let down by each album since, but only because YHF is on a level of greatness that's barely attainable once, let alone twice.

Another note, does anyone else hate "You and I"? I can't take it. It's the "What Light" of W(ta) for sure.

Absolute truth for me personally. I've been let down by each album since, but only because YHF is on a level of greatness that's barely attainable once, let alone twice.

Another note, does anyone else hate "You and I"? I can't take it. It's the "What Light" of W(ta) for sure.

Foxtrot was a bit of a perfect storm, bettering that album would have involved not firing Jay Bennett, but forcing him to cede final mixing decisions to Jim O'Rourke, essentially an impossibility. Still the Muzzle of Bees to Company in My Back run on A Ghost is Born comes awfully close to topping Foxtrot.

I haven't really turned on any songs on WTA yet. You and I and Everlasting are the two weakest songs on it in my opinion, but I don't hate either of those. I hit my "okay I don't want to listen this song again" point with What Light faster than any other Wilco song, I have made it through the entire drone more times than I have What Light.

--Mike

I long for the days when Feist was "that girl" on the Kings of Convenience's Riot on an Empty Street.

After revisiting SBS last night for a couple turns I have changed my mind. WTA is a stronger record top to bottom. Shake it off, On and On and at least two others were meh. The only song that I will flat out skip on WTA is SF and maybe You n I

I found something kind of interesting this morning. My daughter and I were driving to work together (yes, Dad Rock) and Wilco pops up on Sirius radio. We're talking, so I don't pay much attention, other than noting the marvel of Wilco on the radio. Eventually our enthralling conversation stalls, and I realize -- the song that I subconsciously registered as "You Never Know" -- because that's the one that's getting air play -- was actually "Glad It's Over." That's right, the song that was jettisoned from SBS, and wound up on the Heroes soundtrack. Now some of you are going to disagree, but I thought it was a wise decision to exclude this one from SBS -- I like it, but it's a little light, out of keeping with SBS's general vibe. OTOH, although I doubt the song actually sounds much like You Never Know, I think it would fit perfectly on the new album. To my ear WTA is a funner album than most in their catalogue. And whether you favor SBS or WTA may depend on how much "fun" you prefer in your Wilco.

I found something kind of interesting this morning. My daughter and I were driving to work together (yes, Dad Rock) and Wilco pops up on Sirius radio. We're talking, so I don't pay much attention, other than noting the marvel of Wilco on the radio. Eventually our enthralling conversation stalls, and I realize -- the song that I subconsciously registered as "You Never Know" -- because that's the one that's getting air play -- was actually "Glad It's Over." That's right, the song that was jettisoned from SBS, and wound up on the Heroes soundtrack. Now some of you are going to disagree, but I thought it was a wise decision to exclude this one from SBS -- I like it, but it's a little light, out of keeping with SBS's general vibe. OTOH, although I doubt the song actually sounds much like You Never Know, I think it would fit perfectly on the new album. To my ear WTA is a funner album than most in their catalogue. And whether you favor SBS or WTA may depend on how much "fun" you prefer in your Wilco.

I think there's alot of truth to this.

And it baffles me completely when people say "Sky Blue Sky" is "too light" (earlier in the thread). I think we're having different definitions of "light" and the word is being thrown about carelessly. I think there is no doubt the sentiments expressed in SBS is far heavier than those on WTA. And by heavy, I'm not talking about "a faster tempo", or "more distorted guitars" or "more screaming". I'm talking about more gut-wretching emotions and themes that weigh your heart down.

There's a different theme being explored on WTA, but it's definitely in a lighter note: I think the band clearly expresses this with the camel, the colour-coded costumes and even a theme song for the band as if they were a super-hero troupe. To me, it's exploring the idea of what the band means to people. What their roles are in other people's lives. And it's an exaggerated, larger than life, outline of what they really are.

But if you think "light" music is anything with a slower tempo, mellow sonics or softer vocals, then yeah, you'd probably think SBS was a light record.

I think there's alot of truth to this.

And it baffles me completely when people say "Sky Blue Sky" is "too light" (earlier in the thread). I think we're having different definitions of "light" and the word is being thrown about carelessly. I think there is no doubt the sentiments expressed in SBS is far heavier than those on WTA. And by heavy, I'm not talking about "a faster tempo", or "more distorted guitars" or "more screaming". I'm talking about more gut-wretching emotions and themes that weigh your heart down.

There's a different theme being explored on WTA, but it's definitely in a lighter note: I think the band clearly expresses this with the camel, the colour-coded costumes and even a theme song for the band as if they were a super-hero troupe. To me, it's exploring the idea of what the band means to people. What their roles are in other people's lives. And it's an exaggerated, larger than life, outline of what they really are.

But if you think "light" music is anything with a slower tempo, mellow sonics or softer vocals, then yeah, you'd probably think SBS was a light record.

Well, Wilco has never really been a rock the fuck out band to me anyway. I've always felt their strongest suit was their slower tunes. But I felt like SBS was kind of Doobie Brothers where as previous Wilco ballads ressembled Big Star, 1967 Beatles, 1969 Velvet Underground, or After The Gold Rush era Neil Young.

An attempt at the ridiculous...

WTA is perhaps the Bill Clinton to SBS's Bush Sr., it is ultimately an improvement, but not quite the full scale change people probably wanted, and not quite up to par with the really great presidents or albums past Geogre Washington (which would be Being There), Abraham Lincoln (Summerteeth), FDR (Yankee Hotel Foxtrot) or JFK (A Ghost is Born). Furthering this analogy the first Loose Fur album would be RFK, it should have been a president or a Wilco album, but sadly isn't, and Trace could only be Richard Nixon.

--Mike

Outstanding. A breakthrough in Wilco scholarship! :worship

Why do people feel compelled to "rank" albums? Do you rank your children, and have a favourite, "2nd fave" and a "runner up"? "Jane was an alright kid, but Billy was a real improvement".

If not kids, do you rank your friends? "Hey, we're having a real get together this weekend. My equal 5th favourite buddy is coming along, it'll be a blast".

Why do people feel compelled to "rank" albums? Do you rank your children, and have a favourite, "2nd fave" and a "runner up"? "Jane was an alright kid, but Billy was a real improvement".

If not kids, do you rank your friends? "Hey, we're having a real get together this weekend. My equal 5th favourite buddy is coming along, it'll be a blast".

Well said. (C'mon, kids, you're acting like children, act you age)

Guest Francis X. Hummel

Why do people feel compelled to knock "ranking" albums? If they don't want to do so, they don't have to. Others enjoy doing such things. Plenty of others threads you can post in.

Also, people rank their friends all the time. Not familiar with the term "best friend" huh?

And Wilco albums would probably be more like Wilco's kids than my own. In which case, I feel it's ok for me to rank them.

I think people have favorite kids, though they may never admit it. Same with friends, I totally have a list.

I'll always be a SBS defender. First time I listened to that album i was wowed. lots of great songwriting...right off the bat!! either way? come on guys, there is nothing on the new album that compares to either way. SBS the song is a nice, chill, country-ish song that sounds like older wilco. then you've got the rockers.....germany, hate it here, side with seeds...and of course you are my face, which is a blend of a nice song with a thrashing rock song. awesome vocals and lyrics by tweedy all over.

then i pick up this W(TA), and on the first listen i'm like "wtf? really? THIS is the successor to SBS?"

many of the songs are stale, and i thought that on the first listen unlike SBS. one wing, you and i, country disappeared, i'll fight....seriously what's with those songs? i don't like any of them.

and i'm not trying to just all-out bash the album. i'll continue listening to it (i've listened to it about 6 times before this review). i'm gonna go to the show at Dutchess Stadium and cheer on one of my favorite bands. i'll give the new songs a pleasant listen...but i still think i'm just setting myself up for more disappointment.

where's the nice guitar work? don't tell me bull black nova makes up for an album that lacks a lot of great guitar work. yes, nels plays some beautiful slide stuff, but none of it seems like he took a leap. it's nels playing what he can do in his sleep. it's not bad, but it's not great. when i listened to Impossibly Germany for the first time i remember being so WOWED at that guitar solo, and i had already known how great a guitar player he was.

the album just seems bland to me...SBS all the way!

Guest Speed Racer

there is nothing on the new album that compares to either way.

Very true statement, in the same way that my new girlfriend is nothing like my ex. The gods are good to us occassionally. ;)

[quote name='wagx3' date='06 July 2009 - 11:32 AM' timestamp='1246897969'

where's the nice guitar work? don't tell me bull black nova makes up for an album that lacks a lot of great guitar work. yes, nels plays some beautiful slide stuff, but none of it seems like he took a leap. it's nels playing what he can do in his sleep. it's not bad, but it's not great. when i listened to Impossibly Germany for the first time i remember being so WOWED at that guitar solo, and i had already known how great a guitar player he was.

I don't think any of these songs need that killer guitar work. Yes, BBN and One Wing could definitely flesh out into longer jams (and as I'm not a fan of One Wing, I'm thankful that it doesn't), but the rest of the songs really are everything we need and nothing we don't. Everlasting does stretch out a bit toward the end, and I think you're making a huge oversight if you don't laud Nels' efforts on that track. I wasn't a huge fan of the track initially, but now I'm a huge fan - and I love the guitar work at the end.

Succinctly, I'm thankful that Wilco didn't feel the need to "make" any one player rock out to his full potential on songs that didn't require it.

I'll always be a SBS defender. First time I listened to that album i was wowed. lots of great songwriting...right off the bat!! either way? come on guys, there is nothing on the new album that compares to either way. SBS the song is a nice, chill, country-ish song that sounds like older wilco. then you've got the rockers.....germany, hate it here, side with seeds...and of course you are my face, which is a blend of a nice song with a thrashing rock song. awesome vocals and lyrics by tweedy all over.

same here -- i loved SBS from the very first listen. and i voted for it in this poll.

i don't dislike W(TA). the only really difficult thing about it for me is feist's too-smooth faux-sultry voice interfering with jeff's; that i can't take. so unnecessary and annoying. jeff's voice is at least 3/4 of the reason i was hooked in the first place, and still am. i like "one wing," "country disappeared," "you never know," and "wilco (the song)" very much, each for different reasons. overall, the guys sound like they're having a good time, and that makes me happy. also, several of the tunes are catchy and are stuck in my head, which is kind of pleasant.

SBS for me just has more of what i love most: exceptionally great vocals by jeff, extraordinary and compelling lyrics almost all the way through, and wide diversity musically from song to song (yep, that's how i hear them). the album makes me think and overall is top-notch. still listen to it often.

i will always be excited to have a new wilco album to make friends with, whether or not it ends up a favorite.