Wilco Rankings

Here is how I see it from my perspective.

Top spot:Summerteeth/Being There So so many great songs, so so effortless. Sincere, natural energy. Couldn't go wrong.

Next rung: YHF/AM Great for certain times/places, but not what I need all of time. AM makes me nostalgic and I appreciate YHF on many levels, but both are a little out of their skin unlike ST/ BT

Next rung down: SBS/W(TA) Sprinkles on Ice Cream. These are nice additions but without ice cream what do you have(you get it)

Next rung down: AGIB Forced,mixed bag (the only Wilco album that I could see someone flat out saying that they hate. )

I love them all for what it is worth, but don't think they will ever top that mid to late 90's peak.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My perspective:

AGiB is a great album. And similar enough to YHF that I'm always surprised when someone loves one but not the other.

And Summerteeth is anything but effortless, sincere, or natural. But those words work perfectly for Being There.

Their Perfect Record: YHF

Their Perfect "Live" Record: KT

Their Records That Come Extremely Close To Perfection: ST, AGIB

Their Really Good Records: BT, their half of MA1 and MAII, and The Wilco Book Bonus CD.

Their "Bill Clinton" (good, but not quite what we expect from a great president or album)-- WTA

Their Album with That Awesome "Pick Up The Change" song on it-- AM

Their Album No One Wants To Hear Me Talk About Anymore-- SBS.

--Mike

If I was trying to get someone who hasn't heard Wilco before to give them a listen I would give them the albums in this order......

AM

SBS

Being There

Summerteeth

Kicking Television

WTA

YHF

AGIB

So I guess that is how I would rank them.

Each of the older albums has held the number one spot for me...not so much sbs or wta. Maybe because these came out after I became an obsessed fan.

in terms of quality/greatness/genius the order goes like this

1 Summerteeth

2 YHF

3 Ghost

4 Being There...shoud be higher

5 WTA

6 SBS

7 AM...love this album to death

1. Summerteeth

2. Sky Blue Sky

3. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

4. Wilco (the album)

5. A Ghost is Born

6. Being There

7. A.M.

Too early to say where WTA will end up... it could go up but I doubt if it will go down. A Ghost is Born used to be my least favorite but hearing great versions of numerous songs from it live I came to realize it's the production of the record I dislike, not the songs. (To me it sounds like "Wilco in an Anechoic Chamber" (ironically enough, given the lyrics to "Hummingbird"). Summerteeth will always be their masterpiece to me...

Seconded.

I kept wondering if anyone would match me with the latest update. I feel bad for putting the two most recent at the bottom, but hey on the upside I like this one way more than the last one.