Wilco Rankings

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilco (The Album). The first Wilco album to feature not one, not even two, but THREE tracks I skip every time!

I'll bite. Which three?!?

there are 4 songs (you and i, country disappeared, i'll fight, and everlasting) that i skip every time on Wta

Okay, I'll admit the 1st three you listed didn't grab me right away but 'Everlasting'...really?!? May I ask what it is about the song that you dislike so much? Just curious...

YHF

AGIB

BT

ST

W(TA)

SBS

AM

its very hard for me to choose b/w YHF and AGIB. both are monumental albums that mean so much to me but at the same time mean very different things so, i'm siding w/ YHF since it was my first Wilco record. also, on any given day, ST could be interchangeable with BT but, overall, i feel that BT is a stronger album with a little more to offer.

Okay, I'll admit the 1st three you listed didn't grab me right away but 'Everlasting'...really?!? May I ask what it is about the song that you dislike so much? Just curious...

I don't care for it that much either.

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

2. A Ghost is Born

3. Being There

4. Summerteeth

5. Wilco (The Album)

6. AM

7. Sky Blue Sky

3 and 4 could change on my mood and so could 5 and 6.

my top 3 are all AWFULLY close:

YHF (it's magic has worn off a tad since '01/02, but it's still the most enjoyable all the way through)

Being There (although this has by far the most # of my all-time fave Wilco songs, YHF just flows better)

Summerteeth (a close second to Being There for having so many of my faves)

AGIB (funny how when it was released it seemed pretty subpar comparatively. suffers from poor flow/cohesiveness, but has 4-5 killer songs)

these 3 are all fairly interchangeable depending upon mood. i can't say any single one is their "worst" really:

SBS (very enjoyable/pleasant, also very mellow, but might have the best overall vibe/flow of any Wilco album (or a close second to YHF at least)

AM (still has 3 of my fave Wilco songs, but a lot of it hasn't aged well for me)

Wilco(TA) (has a bit of everything from their past, but doesn't really offer much new or exciting either for me, still a very enjoyable record, but it wore off quickly)

why's it dumb? it's just opinion.

ps - how about not participating? that seems like a reasonable solution to not be in a "dumb" conversation.

Couldn't not agree more. Lists like this are such wank! I am going to sound incredibly snooty here and say that the people whose opinions I really respect on music don't reduce their love of a band or genre to an infantile list. Rather they appreciate the body of work of someone like Wilco as a whole and whilst having favourites know that different albums hit the spot at different times. And if I can add my two cents, I'd say that with two better songs (instead of "I'll Fight" and "My Country Disappeared") this album would be downright irresistible almost all the time.

Couldn't not agree more. Lists like this are such wank! I am going to sound incredibly snooty here and say that the people whose opinions I really respect on music don't reduce their love of a band or genre to an infantile list. Rather they appreciate the body of work of someone like Wilco as a whole and whilst having favourites know that different albums hit the spot at different times. And if I can add my two cents, I'd say that with two better songs (instead of "I'll Fight" and "My Country Disappeared") this album would be downright irresistible almost all the time.

you're right on the snooty part, you come off as equally pretentious in this reply.

i love em all, but i've been listening to Summerteeth more than I ever had and it's really opened up for me.

Same here, though my order would prob be, like many changing all the time, but right now..

Summerteeth

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Being There

Kicking Television

Wilco (The Album)

AM

A Ghost Is Born

SBS

My turn. This morning this is how I feel, but by this afternoon it could change. Point being I don't think Wilco's made a bad record. They've made different kinds of records, styles which I might not dig as much as others, but even so each record I think is ten times better than anything else you might hear today and thus puts each offering at the same level, so it's hard for me to put these in order.

Wilco (The Album)

Being There

Summerteeth

A Ghost is Born

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Sky Blue Sky

AM

YHF >> BT > SBS = AGiB >> ST > W(TA) >>> AM

Glad to see you giving SBS some much needed love here, but better than ST?? Wow!

Mine will change because I need to give W(TA) more time to settle in.

YHF

ST

BT

SBS

AGIB

W(TA)

AM

BTW, all are excellent albums. Well... AM is VERY good.

you're right on the snooty part, you come off as equally pretentious in this reply.

That may be true, but I tend to agree with this guy. I've tried to rank the Wilco albums many times but just can't.. And I don't think I'm alone with this and that's why the rankings became a joke in the first place... My favorite Wilco album is the one I'm listening to. Catch my drift?

That may be true, but I tend to agree with this guy. I've tried to rank the Wilco albums many times but just can't.. And I don't think I'm alone with this and that's why the rankings became a joke in the first place... My favorite Wilco album is the one I'm listening to. Catch my drift?

fair enough... but it's pretty easy for me to distinguish the cream of the crop among their catalog and the ones that aren't quite as good, regardless of which exact album(s) i'd put where.

EVERY band/artist has albums that, while great, might just not be quite as awesome as their best stuff. i honestly can't think of any of my favorite artists that I don't have a favorite or least favorite record of. it's not like it's some competition or anything, just my own personal preference.

I agree with the haters that it's a little silly to post the rankings, and as often as this board does them. I don't see anything really to be gained outside of the occasional 'OMFG d00d, you have the same ranking as me' type of thing. I also agree it's probably what lead to the ranking-in-chronological-order parody, as a thread with ranking after ranking after ranking gets to be a bit silly.

Now, what would be cooler if someone were to conduct a point system survey of all the albums (top album gets a 7, 6, 5, etc), add up the scores and come up with a sort of mass consensus on what everyone's favorites are. That would be somewhat interesting to me. I think this has been done in the past, at least in relation to favorite songs.

Guest Jules

This was a pretty dicky post.

Also, I'll Fight is one of the best songs on the new album.