3am

5am

7am

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my picks partially influenced by the way I was introduced to Wilco.

1. YHF - far and away their best record. Also the first record I ever heard by Wilco the day before I flew to Hawai'i.

2. ST - I heard this album well after I was first intro'd to YHF/AM/BT but is resonated with me quite well.

3. AGIB - not sure why this record gets a bad rap. Lots of great songs and works very, very well as an album.

4. AM - some great rockers but not what Wilco is anymore and IMO, not their best era.

5. SBS - has a lot of greatness on its own, also has some stuff I don't like listening too that frequently.

6. BT - Lots of great stuff on it, by no means dislike it...but its just not in the top of my choices.

7. W(TA) - I don't even like this record to be completely honest. Maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance. It just doesn't seem like Wilco to me.

edit #2: I would even go so far as to say that YHF is my favorite album of all time. Which puts it so far ahead of everything else on this list...its remarkable. I love Wilco but YHF is LEGENDARY. Their other albums don't do that for me.

1) Yankee hotel Foxtrot

2) A Ghost Is Born

3) Summerteeth

4) Being There

5) Sky Blue Sky

6) Wilco (The Album)

7) AM

If you plot the results on a graph it shows improvement to a peak with YHF and then a gradual decline down to Wilco (The Album). I am fully confident, however, that the next album will be something special and will halt this decline!!

1. YHF

2. Being There

3. Summerteeth

4. A.M.

5. A Ghost is Born

6. Sky Blue Sky

7. W(TA)

in general, in this man's opinion, Wilco grew every album from A.M. to YHF...and have kind of been on autopilot ever since. they seem to have "found themselves", which is nice, but not as interesting.

still great tunes though, and better live than ever, of course.

oh generalities.

1. YHF

2. Being There

3. Summerteeth

4. A.M.

5. A Ghost is Born

6. Sky Blue Sky

7. W(TA)

Erik, interested in how you arrive at such a lowly rank for W(TA) when in an another thread today ('Of canons and being comfortable') you say:

I'll admit, I haven't even listened to Wilco (The Album).

Just asking...

1.) Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

2.) A Ghost is Born

3a.) Being There 3b.) Sky Blue Sky

5.) Summerteeth

6a.) AM 6b.) Wilco (The Album)

Totally extraneous side note. I was about to question all those people who keep putting the periods in AM (A.M.). But checking the album sleeve again...damn, looks like they're right. And, as usual, I'm wrong. Which makes me wonder...have I been misinterpreting this title all along? With the radio on the cover, I always thought it was an AM/FM thing. The periods make me wonder if it's actually an A.M. / P.M. thing. What's the story here?

Grouped

The distance between top and bottom is REALLY small

A Ghost is Born...Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Summerteeth...Being There

Wilco(TA)...Sky Blue Sky

AM

1. Being There

2. YHF

3. Summerteeth

4. AGIB

5. A.M.

6. Sky Blue Sky

7. WTA

I had been very undecided on how I compared SBS and WTA until recently. Although I was lukewarm to SBS after its release, as it followed up a pretty strong record, it certainly has had more staying power for me than WTA. If you toss in the SBS B-sides such as "Thanks I Get," "Let's Not Get Carried Away," and yes I'm even a fan of "Glad It's Over," I like it exponentially more than WTA. Also, I think I've fairly recently decided that I like A.M. more than both of the latter, so some shaking up in my 2009 rankings. It'll take a monster to ever top "Being There" though. Does Wilco have it in them? I'd like to think so. Here's to hoping for 7 more records.

A Ghost is Born

Summerteeth

Being There

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

AM

Sky Blue Sky

Wilco (the album)

YHF and Being There are sort of a toss up. I'd consider YHF the "better" album, but I listen to Being There more often and quite possibly get more enjoyment out of it.

Guest McGuffin

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (This album is far and away Wilco's best in my opinion. It's like going to church, cleansing yourself of everything and then walking out totally refreshed - a religious experience.)

2. A Ghost is Born

3. Summerteeth

4. Sky Blue Sky (Took an extended period of time to start liking this one).

5. Being There (It's a virtual tie between SBS and BT for me).

6. Wilco (the album). (Really tough to get into this one, as was the case with SBS. Took over a year to get into SBS and start to dig it. Maybe this will be the case with WTA. BBN, You Never Know and One Wing took immediately though.).

7. AM (There are three crackers on here).

YHF - for obvious reasons, also was my 1st introduction to wilco along with some AGIB tracks

A.M. - has been getting the most playtime recently, love this record

AGIB - see YHF above

Being There - probably tied with AGIB, amazing record that keeps growing on me

Summerteeth - close behind the tie of AGIB/Being There, lots of great songs

SBS - I need some growing time, but I definitely enjoy the sound here more than the ranking suggests

WTA - A few good tracks like BBN and Country Disappeared, but I haven't played it at all really since the hype around its release