(The Album) - One Week Later

Thanks Speed Racer! Obviously there is some exxageration in my statement, but overall I cant think of one song that I really like...To me it just sounds like a band making a record, just to make a record...My comparison to Ryan Adams really has some merit. It reminds me of the year that Ryan released like six records...They were all probably listenable but not memorable. This album lacks any sense of purpose and to a large extent I came into this album with preconceived notions...I didnt think Tweedy could put out a decent record this close to his last one. He's not as prolfiic a writter as Ryan, though I wouldnt pay to buy or listen to Ryan Adams if he paid me to...I think Jeff should have taken some more time off, God knows he's been touring his ass off since AGIB. I really hope he does now...As much as I love seeing Tweedy perform and I havent missed a show since the Summerteeth tour, I would give up the next five years of Wilco touring to hear him put a little more effort into the next one. Just my opionion and Iam sticking to it.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for bringing poetry to the party here (truthfulness or falsity of this statement left firmly aside).

It brings great joy to my heart that someone read my long-winded rant closely enough to catch that joke.

--Mike

I listened to it a few times, but not again ever since. Like Sky Blue Sky, I'll probably end up working half the album into regular listening time. I bought it on iTunes for Dark Neon, but that didn't do much for me at all. This band has given me so much that I absolutely adore and cherish, so I am okay with not latching on to everything they do. I appreciate their range and respect them being able to do whatever they are happy doing. Perhaps I miss the exhausted, brooding, and sincere complexities of Summerteeth/YHF/AGIB. That was a magical mix of a ton of things for me, but windows open and close and the rain falls when it wants too.

Internet forums seem to be either all everlasting love or all bitter criticism, with posses and hurt feelings and outrage and many defensive positions. It's odd that we have to rank the albums every month and figure out which bear is best. I'm okay with whatever. I like Wilco, I like Jay Bennett, and I like Nels Cline too.

I think this album is a masterpiece. I think overall it has the best songwriting and the best musicianship of any Wilco album. I think each of the first six songs on this album belong alongside the all-time greats of the Wilco canon, the Jesus etc's and 's.

Admittedly the second half is not as great as the first. I would not call Sonny Feeling or Country Disappeared "great" tracks, but they both have redeeming qualities. Enough to not take away from the overall greatness of the album. EE is a fantastic closer, but I agree with those who think it should go on longer.

I think YHF is a masterpiece too. But to me, it's an album that has an overall sense of sadness to it. Even the happy songs leave a taste of melancholy. WTA has such a positive vibe, even the song about an axe murder makes me feel good.

I think Tweedy is the biggest talent in rock. Neil Youngish. I love his songwriting; I love his guitar playing; I really love his voice. His solo shows are amazing. But this band really frustrates me. Probably because I don't really think of them as a 'band'. Glenn's drumming wears on me. Nils guitar playing is so over the top. They just don't quite naturally fit and it seems so rehearsed and baked. I miss the AM / Being There days.

I think the songs on this record are strong (especially side two) and can't wait for the next Tweedy solo tour to hear them played at their best.

Sorry.

With the exception of "Impossible Germany", every song on SBS had something I didn't like about it. For example "You are My Face" starts out beautiful before degenerating into a "RAWK" stomp. It goes from this beautiful whispery ballad to an awful Phish jam. Prior to SBS, Wilco always had interesting ways to accentuate a whispery ballad, and interesting ways to change them up. Songs like "Wishful Thinking" and "She's a Jar" were handled with much more grace.

Er... you seem to be suggesting that ballads which segue (or "degenerate") into "rawk" moments was a new trend for Wilco. If you think that, then you're surely not listening to the albums (or you're only remembering what you choose to?). If anything, this was one of their most signature habits. Perhaps you need to remember "At Least That's What You Said", "Misunderstood", and "Sunken Treasure".

You Never Know - The best song of the year so far. I know it's not edgy enough for YHF/BT fans, but I love the pop element of the tune, the electric parts are so goosebump like, and it's a perfect summer song. Love the original melodies too.

Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, but how can a blatent George Harrison rip off be deemed an original melody?

As for the album, it has steadily grown on me. I just wonder if I will still be playing it a year from now.

So "SBS sucks" is an annoying post, but "anyone who thinks SBS sucks has inferior taste to mine" is way scarier in my opinion. (5.)

Yes. Although I'm not sure what's more annoying. The first seems to be baiting for the second response, by stating an opinion without justification, they're just asking people who are passionate about it to jump out and defend it irrationally. And if one don't care to justify something, then why post about it? This isn't Twitter.

Ultimately, a band as musically diverse as Wilco will always attract a widely conflicted audience, with varying and contradicting tastes. There will always be people who only like certain sides of the band, and dismiss/ignore other aspects that are not to their liking. That's a pretty natural reaction and I think everyone is susceptible to that. When the band focuses on those aspects that conflict with our aesthetics, we will think the band has changed for the worse.

Now, one reaction to that is to continue to dismiss what you're uncomfortable with ("I know what I like, and I know what I don't like"). The other is to accept the challenge to broaden your horizons, "what would attract someone who wrote that I like so much, to also like ?". It depends if you have the will or desire to do that, and people are within their rights not to yield.

It's no different from Neil Young fans, there are always some you'll encounter which "love Neil Young... " and then point out a certain track or album is "too country". Or those who don't like it when he "does that Crazy Horse thing".

Wow. I'm reading this thread and wondering how many people have really given the album the time of day.

I'll admit that I had a VERY hard time with SBS upon first listen. Now, there are days when SBS is by far the Wilco album I want to spin most.

For those who profess love for Wilco, show it by spending a little time with the new release before completely writing it off in bitter resentment.

I honestly don't see how anyone can listen to all of Wilco's catalogue and not see the overall progression in musical and lyrical maturity. Name 1 songwriter who has been as consistently excellent over the past 20 years as Jeff. Name 1 band that can match the chops and cohesion of the current sextet.

If I don't like a Wilco song at first, I've come to the point that I'll admit I must be missing something, and almost every song has eventually won me over. (almost) :whoo

Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, but how can a blatent George Harrison rip off be deemed an original melody?

hom⋅age  /ˈhɒmɪdʒ, ˈɒm-/ –noun

1.respect or reverence paid or rendered: In his speech he paid homage to Washington and Jefferson.

2.the formal public acknowledgment by which a feudal tenant or vassal declared himself to be the man or vassal of his lord, owing him fealty and service.

3.the relation thus established of a vassal to his lord.

4.something done or given in acknowledgment or consideration of the worth of another: a Festschrift presented as an homage to a great teacher.

It's a tribute folks. You guys are SO cynical and jaded.

Yes. Although I'm not sure what's more annoying. The first seems to be baiting for the second response, by stating an opinion without justification, they're just asking people who are passionate about it to jump out and defend it irrationally. And if one don't care to justify something, then why post about it? This isn't Twitter.

@We're woking on that buddy. Great post, though, I agree with everything you said. I will say though, there's a balance and a four paragraph rant about how disappointing their new material is can almost be as annoying as a simple "Wilco sucks, lol" post, at least the latter is easy to ignore.

--Mike

I'm tired of being the "creative decline" guy, newborn, but I can't crush nd5, and then ignore your post.

Wow. I'm reading this thread and wondering how many people have really given the album the time of day.

Question: Would you need to see the 1970's Disney film Gus starring Don Knotts and a field goal kicking mule more than once to determine it's not Citizen Kane? (1.)

I honestly don't see how anyone can listen to all of Wilco's catalogue and not see the overall progression in musical and lyrical maturity. Name 1 songwriter who has been as consistently excellent over the past 20 years as Jeff. Name 1 band that can match the chops and cohesion of the current sextet.

I like your enthusiasm, but let's not get carried away. I honestly can't see how someone honestly can't see that people who may differently could just as easily be right. ction has the final say on all of this anyway. I am probably close to guilty as this with the other side, as I do have hard time understanding how anyone could see SBS as a progression from Yankee, but at the end of the day as Ray said...

There will always be people who only like certain sides of the band, and dismiss/ignore other aspects that are not to their liking. That's a pretty natural reaction and I think everyone is susceptible to that. When the band focuses on those aspects that conflict with our aesthetics, we will think the band has changed for the worse.

1.) This is not to say that WTA is on the level of Gus, but the "listen harder" advice always rings a little hollow to me. Every album I love I have at least been compelled to listen to again even if I didn't take to it at first. Also and this goes without saying, but Gus is way better than Citizen Kane. That mule can kick some field goals.

--Mike.

1.) This is not to say that WTA is on the level of Gus, ...

Hang on a second..., you might be onto something there! The similarities are remarkable... the hat-wearing furry animal, the headpiece, the centered logo... spooky.

gus.jpg

2009_05_wilco_album.jpg

I'm really enjoying this new record. I'll add a "here, here" for Sonny Feeling. Something about that song just makes me feel good. And Deeper Down was one of my early favorites, then I saw how they played it live at the Wolf Trap ... wow, Glenn shines like crazy on that track.

The only songs I don't listen to regularly are You Never Know and Solitaire. While I don't like those all that much for now, I think every song on this disc has something interesting going on, whereas SBS had a couple of duds, IMO.

Every album I love I have at least been compelled to listen to again even if I didn't take to it at first.

Well, obviously. This doesn't mean that albums you didn't feel compelled to listen to again wouldn't have someday wound up as favorites. That being said, I do take issue with the "listen harder" argument simply because life's too short to put a ton of effort into liking something if you just aren't that interested. There's plenty of music out there; listen to what makes you happy.

Guest Francis X. Hummel

I'm pretty much shelving Wilco (the album) already. I still only enjoy 3 (maybe 4) songs: Wilco (the song), One Wing, You Never Know (Deeper Down).

I burned out quickly on SBS too, and appreciated it much more a few months down the road when I gave it a second chance. I hope the same happens for WTA.

This doesn't mean that albums you didn't feel compelled to listen to again wouldn't have someday wound up as favorites.

I just had a vision of an alternate universe where Wings at the Speed of Sound is my favorite album. B)

"Do me a favor, open the door and Let Em In..."

--Mike

First of all, I didn't mean imply W(TA) is secretly Citizen Kane for those who 'listen harder.' I highly doubt W(TA) will ever be my favorite Wilco album.

I never said 'listen harder,' I only said I feel Wilco deserves more patience than some are giving W(TA). What I really meant was more 'listen longer.' Like any piece of artwork, you have to spend significant time with it in order to fully appreciate it. Now, I do understand that people listen to music for different reasons, and I do need to be reminded of that being totally legitimate.

I do think there is something to 'listening hard,' however. Like, 'Poor Places' for example, is a song that has so many nuggets of goodness in it for those who 'listen hard.' Just my opinion, and I'll apologize for using such broad sweeps in my original post.

'Melody' ≠ 'Tasty Lick'

Unless, there's a George Harrison song that You Never Know got its melody from?

I still think this album would have better with Dark Neon leading things off followed by the current song order.

A hundred times yes, except Dark Neon should actually replace The Song in my opinion.