New Califone Album/Film

Sure, I'm biased, but this is going to be cool:

After years spent putting out records on Thrill Jockey and their own Perishable imprint, Chicago experimental roots-rockers Califone are taking a step in a new direction. Their new album, All My Friends Are Funeral Singers, will be released by Dead Oceans. The follow-up to 2006's Roots and Crowns is out October 6.

The album is a kind of companion piece to Califone frontman Tim Rutili's first feature film, which is also called All My Friends Are Funeral Singers. Rutili plans to submit the movie to festivals in 2010, while the band will play a live soundtrack to the film during their upcoming tour.

That's the cover up there, and the tracklist is after the jump

All My Friends Are Funeral Singers:

01 Giving Away the Bride

02 Polish Girls

03 1928

04 Funeral Singers

05 SNAKE'S TOOTH = PROTECTION AGAINST FEVER AND LUCK IN GAMBLING

06 Buñuel

07 Ape-Like

08 A WISH MADE WHILE BURNING ONIONS WILL COME TRUE

09 Evidence

10 Alice Marble Gray

11 Salt

12 Krill

13 SAVEN, FOURTEEN, OR TWENTY-ONE KNOTS

14 Better Angels

Link

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had any musical talent and was starting a band, I'd rip off Califone at nearly every opportunity. Hard to think of a band during this decade whose sound over a series of records I have enjoyed more.

--Mike

from their website: http://califonemusic.com/about.htm

In an underground music landscape where 140 characters equals “journalism” and lone MP3s propel bands to momentary internet stardom, bands are here today and gone tomorrow.

Califone is a band that defies this blueprint. Their albums are full of layers and textures, offering endless depth, entire universes to lose yourself in – and beyond the thick spectrum of sound, they do something even more important: They write great songs. Califone is a band that will stand the test of time.

The band is at the peak of its powers on All My Friends Are Funeral Singers, its sixth song based album. The long-awaited follow-up to 2006’s acclaimed Roots and Crowns, the album is the strongest collection of songs in a career with no shortage of strength. The subtlety and detail of Califone’s previous work is present here – the atmospheres are carefully nuanced, the percussion is both rattling and melodic, the melodies are rich and soulful, interspersed throughout softly strummed folk and electrified blues. All My Friends Are Funeral Singers is a dense collage of sounds, expertly formed into fully realized pop songs.

Roots and Crowns brought a newfound immediacy in Califone, most notably on their cover of Psychic TV’s “The Orchids.” They had never recorded a song that would function as an obvious single before this, and the results were spectacular. All My Friends Are Funeral Singers expands upon these explorations – the hook on “Funeral Singers” is urgent and undeniable; the melody in “Polish Girls” is pop perfection. “Buñuel” is as epic as it is catchy, while “Evidence” and “Krill” are both absolute studies in beauty.

This pop exploration runs through the album, but it’s not at the expense of Califone’s vast musical vocabulary. The band’s multi-instrumentalists (Joe Adamik, Jim Becker, Ben Massarella, Tim Rutili) and several notable guests utilize an orchestra’s worth of instruments on the album, from the more typical (guitar, bass, piano), to the unusual (optigan, prepared piano, stylophone). Throw in more strings (fiddle, mandolin, banjo, baritone ukulele, cello), percussion (mbira, marimba, steel drum, thumb piano), some horns (bass clarinet, clarinet, French horn) and a whole mess of other oddities (ring modulators, loops, “effects,” synth bass, electronics) and the careful production and mixing of longtime collaborator Brian Deck, and you’ve got the perfect ingredients for Califone’s finest and most ambitious album to date.

Califone’s music has often been described as cinematic, and the band has been known to contribute live improvised soundtracks to silent films. Many of these performances have been released on Califone albums Deceleration One and Deceleration Two. Primary songwriter and vocalist Tim Rutili’s artistic endeavors stretch beyond music, and include the creation of surreal short documentaries, music videos and experimental films.

From the same font of inspiration—and on the same theme—as the songs on All My Friends Are Funeral Singers comes Rutili’s first feature-length film. Also titled All My Friends Are Funeral Singers. The screenplay for the film and many of the songs were written at the same time and incorporate many of the same images and characters.

The movie was shot in an old, rickety house in Indiana in the spring of 2009 and stars the respected cult actress Angela Bettis (Girl, Interrupted; May;Carrie). The band will be performing a live, interactive soundtrack to the movie for many of their performances supporting the album, adding a new element to the band’s live show. It will be a truly special and ambitious event, and unlike anything Califone has done to date. A stand alone edit of the movie will be submitted to film festivals come 2010.

All My Friends Are Funeral Singers is the record that the great Roots and Crowns hinted at. The songwriting is fleshed out, the musical vision is boiling over, the sonic experimentation is indulgent and dense, yet there’s a great cohesion, a sense of purpose and a newfound focus to this Califone effort. Never has the band felt so vibrant, so alive, on one of their albums. All My Friends Are Funeral Singers is built for the long haul. Make space on your record shelf, because this one is here to stay.

Can't wait for the tour.

:rock

If I had any musical talent and was starting a band, I'd rip off Califone at nearly every opportunity. Hard to think of a band during this decade whose sound over a series of records I have enjoyed more.

--Mike

I agree with this statement 1000%. :cheers

okay, I've never given these guys a chance.

What album should I start with? AllMusic has "Quicksand/Cradlesnakes" starred as their album pick.

Good starting point. Roots and Crowns is also a tremendous recording. Wear headphones. :)

Califone grew out of the Chicago band Red Red Meat. Their third album, Bunny Gets Paid was reissued this year.

Sin Ropas' Tim Hurley also played in Red Red Meat. While more obscure than Califone, Sin Ropas made one of my favorite records, Fire Prizes.

310519L.jpg

I envy your beginner's mind.

What album should I start with? AllMusic has "Quicksand/Cradlesnakes" starred as their album pick.

Careful. The newly initiated tend to get lost for months in Califone's sound. It's all you'll want. Nothing else will do.

Can't wait for the album and tour!

Quicksand or Roots and Crowns are excellent starting points. If you need anymore hype for this band, here's something that could have gone in the musical blasphemy you actually believe thread: Quicksand and Roots and Crowns sound like the albums I wish Wilco would have made instead of SBS and WTA.

--Mike

Rec'd this email today:

DEAD OCEANS TO RELEASE CALIFONE’S ALL MY FRIENDS ARE FUNERAL SINGERS OCTOBER 6

“…gorgeously art-damaged roots-rock.”—The New York Times

“…a staggering homage to starts and finishes, computers and cornfields, dirty feet and throbbing foreheads.”—Pitchfork

Califone’s forthcoming album All My Friends Are Funeral Singers is set for release October 6 by Dead Oceans. The album marks the highly anticipated follow-up to 2006’s Roots & Crowns, which The New York Times calls “enthralling,” and Paste praises as “Acoustic Delta blues, back-porch Appalachia, folk-pop and syncopated funk marinate in futuristic sounds, like Mississippi John Hurt, Neil Young and Curtis Mayfield transported through Four Tet’s chop shop.”

The Chicago-based band consists of multi-instrumentalists Tim Rutili, Jim Becker, Joe Adamik, and Ben Masseralla. On All My Friends Are Funeral Singers the band employs a wide range of instrumentation and electronic effects to create a dense collage of sounds. Instruments range from the traditional (guitar, violin, banjo, percussion) to the unusual (optigan, stylophone, baritone ukulele, mbira, thumb piano).

Longtime collaborator and producer Brian Deck (Iron & Wine, Gomez, Modest Mouse) says, “Tim’s songwriting on All My Friends Are Funeral Singers is my favorite yet. They have found a sound unlike anyone else, and are able to draw otherworldly sounds from very common instruments. It’s melodically inventive and economical and delivered with more detail and nuance than before.”

Primary songwriter and vocalist Tim Rutili, whose artistic endeavors stretch beyond music and include the creation of surreal short documentaries, music video and film scores, recently wrote and directed his first feature-length film. The screenplay for the film draws on the same themes and inspirations as the album, and many of the songs were written at the same time and contain the same images and characters. The film, also titled All My Friends Are Funeral Singers, will be submitted to film festivals early next year.

Califone will incorporate a full-length presentation of the film during their live performances, adding a new element to the band’s live show. Nationwide tour dates will be confirmed shortly.

You can download an album's worth of free MP3s here:

http://www.pastrysharp.com/discography/downloads/

Sin Ropas' Tim Hurley also played in Red Red Meat. While more obscure than Califone, Sin Ropas made one of my favorite records, Fire Prizes.

310519L.jpg

Sin Ropas are great, too. And really nice people.

That the vinyl version of Fire Prizes is awesome, too.

I'm way to excited about all this!!!!!!

On a side note, I am going to see Red Red Meat this Sunday at West Fest in Chicago. They are on at 8:45 pm.

• 1 month later...

I talked to Jim Becker at Pitchfork. He told me there are a couple dates in Chicago at Museum of Contemporary Art. Should be a great place for this (not for those who like to stand though.) The auditorium at the MCA has great sight lines and a big stage so that the screen will be visable to everyone. Jim is very enthusiastic about this project. Not sure the dates, but sometime in October.

LouieB

I talked to Jim Becker at Pitchfork. He told me there are a couple dates in Chicago at Museum of Contemporary Art. Should be a great place for this (not for those who like to stand though.) The auditorium at the MCA has great sight lines and a big stage so that the screen will be visable to everyone. Jim is very enthusiastic about this project. Not sure the dates, but sometime in October.

LouieB

Hopefully, I will be there.

Hopefully, I will be there.

Yea I would say it would be a don't miss. Califone did those Deceleration CDs which were music to movies (which I didn't see), but playing to their own movie...that should be a kick.

LouieB

LouieB

Hopefully I can hit that the weekend I come down for the film festival.

--Mike

Incidentally, Tim tells me that 'Funeral Singers' will also be released as a double-LP. Should be lovely. I'm really, really looking forward to this, and have no idea what to expect.

tour dates

Shows

* = denotes a live soundtrack film performance (shows will include a short rock set, followed by screening featuring songs from All My Friends Are Funeral Singers)

Saturday 10/10/09*

Museum of Contemporary Art

220 E Chicago Ave.

Chicago, IL

Sunday 10/11/09*

Museum of Contemporary Art

220 E Chicago Ave.

Chicago, IL

Tuesday 10/13/09*

Andy Warhol Museum

117 Sandusky St.

Pittsburgh, PA